Nothing Is Working, I'm Calling It Quits, Please Help?

MAN I LOOOOOVE YOU GUYSYou all are always here for someone in times of need.

Okay, I am relaxed, and I know my hair loves protein, but I guess I am overdoing it and should be a lot more focused on moisture. Although I don't know what to do because my hair gets mushy really quickly.

I live in NY and the water here is pretty great, so I don't think it's the water.

I have texlaxed hair.

Man, I knew it was the bun! Aww man, I loved that bun too, can I just pin the ends under? Thanks beans4reezy with the bun pics, but I don't think buns like that suit me very well. Then again I gotta do it in the name of healthier hair.

Although I don't have exercising sessions, I am a very active teen so exercising isn't a problem. However, I think I do need to up my water intake. I also need a multivitamin, I currently take Vit C and Glucosamine and MSM (for knee and back pains, lol, I sound old).

For my pre-poo I think I'll use a condish or mayo (mayo is moisturizing right?).

I think I'll go back to S-Curl as a moisturizer. But what do I use when I flat-ironed my hair, the Wave Nouveau wasn't working for me?

Umm, before LHCF my hair wasn't really damaged, it just wasn't as healthy as it could be.

ILYandY, how do I know what the pH levels of my products are? I do use Roux Porosity Control after. I don't know why I forgot to include it. Also When should I clarify? Do you know any "moisturizing poos?

Okay guys, I am ready to start over.....I'm gonna go put honey and Elasta QP DPR-11 on my hair..........

Mayo is usually protein based. :( You might have to use something else.

It looks like almost every product your using has protein in it. Maybe switch to mositure based products for a while and see how your hair responds.

I think you should change the way you bun your hair. I used to do the same half folded pony and it wrecked havoc on my ends, it broke them off and made them dry and not fully protected. I started using claw clips and now I can tuck all my hair and hide it without having to rip it off when Im taking it out. Try it :)

ILYandY, how do I know what the pH levels of my products are? I do use Roux Porosity Control after. I don't know why I forgot to include it. Also When should I clarify? Do you know any "moisturizing poos?

Answer: 4.5 to 5.5 is good for 4b hair

Roux Porosity control (I have not used that since 03) but because you hair is dry you would have to use that after you clean the hair while you cuticles are open.

You should clarify to get rid of all the product build up before you begin your new hair regimen course.

Shampoos does not give moisture but some shampoos do allow the hair not to be stripped of it's natural oils. Shampoos that some say are moisturizing usually have a high ph level of 7 or more which is what relaxers do to the hair and some time you may have sodium and calcium on your hair and scalp (example CON old). (you don't want that, it eat a way at the root and cause erosions especially around your hairline)

The shampoos I know of that are good at keeping the Ph at a normal level cost a little but they are Joico and Davines.

If you are relaxed, the airdrying may be contributing to the dryness and breakage. I have much less dryness and breakage under the hood dryer vs. airdrying. I'm not sure how airdrying affects natural hair though...:look:

Nevertheless, don't give up. I was in my hairjourney two years before I started seeing the length that I craved. The first two years involved getting it healthy and learning to care for it myself. In the end, your rewards will be worth all the effort that you've been putting into it. :yep:

Last edited:
If you're at all style challenged or ever need to go back to the bun that you're currently wearing, maybe you could do a tiny baggy on the ends. You said that too much moisture makes your hair feel mushy, but an occasional baggy might be enough to maintain moisture and it would provide a barrier between your ends and whatever you use to secure your hair.

Sorry sharifeh I use Elasta H-Two and NTM creme as leave. I used to use s-curl as a leave in also.

I used to rollerset but it was too time consuming, I had to study. I would like to learn how to safely blowdry though, any tips?

I'm going out to buy a few hair products. So I'll buy a clarifying shampoo, another moisture DC, another shampoo, moisturizing cheapie condishs, and more S-curl.

I'm gonna go surf the web and adopt some moisturizing regimes. I guess I'll go back to moisture one week, protein the next.

My hair was doing so well with airdrying before, I dunno what happened, but I'm guessing its the weather.... Again..... Darn you winter!!!*shakes fist in the air*

you need to be doing moisture for the next couple of weeks. Then go back to protein.
Your hair needs alot of moisture.

Are you natural or relaxed? If you're natural, you might need to cut out some of that protein and include some more moisture based products.

Is the Aphogee poo you're using, the one for damaged hair? If it is that means you're using a protein poo, with a protein reconstructor, followed by a moisturizing/protein DC. That might be too much protein for you. You might need some additional moisture to aid with retention.

I'm in agreement with this. You may be experiencing a protein overload. You should consider using more moisturizing products. I'd suggest boosting up your moisture level and minimizing proteins. Once your hair has been repaired then you could balance out your moisture/protein levels. If there is too much of anything (moisture or protein), it will cause a setback.

I have a protein overload now because, I didn't realize that every product I used contained some form of protein in it. Beware of using products that says moisturizing, but also includes a lot of proteins. I'm using Kenra and KeraCare moisturizing shampoos and conditioners. I also alternate using a light protein and moisturizing deep conditioner. I don't use all moisturizing products because, I don't want my hair to become mushy and over moisturized. I try to create a balance between the two and thus far my hair is progressing.

Last edited:
Back