Not combing = Retention

I can see how this works for a relaxed person, but how would a natural with triple thick hair like mine do it?:nono::lachen:

I don't wear my hair out but once a week. I put it in twists on Sunday, wear a twist-out on Saturday, and it works. Wearing more frequent 'out' styles is more manipulation than my hair needs, just period, so it works well, for me.

No combing has help my hair to retain length and has help thicken my hair. I love it becasue I am too lazy to comb my hair everyday!!! So I comb my hair once a week or every two weeks when I baggy every night.

I'm using this method to help me retain my growth. I keep my hair in cornrows (under a wig) and take them down every few weeks. I wash, cowash, and deep condition my hair in cornrows.

I got to my current length (below BSL now) by not combing. 2x a week max and sometimes 1x every two weeks. What helps me do it is olive oil:yep:. I retained a lot using this method.

I wish I could use olive oil, I can't stand the smell of it. Do you use it on your ends?

Thanks for all the responses. I may have found a formula with this one. I haven't been using direct heat for the whole year. I think I flat ironed once last month. That, in combination with my no combing may get me to APL by end of year.

Thanks for all the responses. I may have found a formula with this one. I haven't been using direct heat for the whole year. I think I flat ironed once last month. That, in combination with my no combing may get me to APL by end of year.

It very well could. My hair has been the longest, healthiest, and thickest that its been since I was a child. I've always been a bun wearer and updo wearer- so I always did protective styling even before LHCF. In addition, I've never used a lot of heat- stopped that in the early '90s.

The only things I've done differently since LHCF, besides not combing/low manipulation, is moisturizing and sealing on a daily basis and strecthing my relaxer an extra two(2) weeks. So, I attribute my length retention and thickness to no combing.

I "no comb" and I am a natural. It's working for me. As far as detangling, what I do is spray my mix of the moment (distilled water with AO honey suckle rose conditioner) and finger detangle as shown on the www.growafrohairlong.com site. It works for me. I seem to get out a lot of shed hair, my ends look great and my hair is thanking me for it! I would give it a try expecially if you are a natural. :grin:

OK, I'll try this tomorrow and let you know what happened. I'm very tender headed so I hope it will help me.

I only comb once a week, mind you I am almost 11 weeks post. When i tried to comb over the weekend, i had so many tangles. It turns out that the shed hairs were not falling out, so the just hung around and tangled around my other hairs. It was a long and painful process to get rid of all the tangles

I think I will be Using a brush once a week to try to catch all the shed hairs; that will prevent the insane tangling I have been facing

Back