No Shampoo

princessdi

For you ladies who don't shampoo, but only co-wash. Do you ever get buildup? I've been doing it for about a month now and the last time that I washed my hair, I had conditioner build up in my hair.:nono: Any suggestions?

What is your regimen for keeping your hair healthy and buildup free without the use shampoo?

cuteazz1

I co-wash once a week W JASON products.First I deep condition for 2-3 hours,then I rinse that out and do the co-wash.Next I detangle my hair in the shower and I'm out..I don't get any buidup,but I do kinda lightly scrub my hair during the Cowash.

Gigi-07

I rarely shampoo. But when I do, I chelate (every 3mos., or 6 mos when I relax).
I don't suffer from build-up issues that much though.

jamaraa

Practically every commercial conditioner has wax in it. You'll have to find some solution to removing that. Anyone who CW and doesn't want dreads needs to separate their strands every so often, by whatever means of your choice.

Irresistible

I dont shampoo , only CW and dont clarify or use any baking soda and have no build up and I have no clue why, been that way for years and years

try two or three Co washes at a time

loolalooh

Sorry this is more for scalp buildup if you're interested ....

To combat buildup between clarifying days, I co-wash with a brown-sugar scrub. I got the idea from a member of another forum. The recipe is below. The brown sugar scrub is not messy at all AND gets the job done.

Ingredients:

4 tbls of Brown Sugar

2 tbls of your favorite conditioner

Directions:

Combine brown sugar and conditioner in a bowl and mix well. Apply to scalp only with fingers! Scrub scalp in a circular motion for a few minutes. [Next step is adjusted for co-washing.] Rinse and co-wash as normal.

Check this website for more: http://styles101.homestead.com/nathairrec.html#anchor_425

Last edited:

JustKiya

I use ayurvedic herbs to clean my hair about once a month, and I clarify with baking soda once a month. I also don't use anything with cones in it, and that alone cuts down on the 'risk' of build-up significantly.

princessdi

Thanks for the replies ladies. I'm going to try the baking soda and water and also the brown sugar recipe. I'll do the clarifying once or twice a month. I used to do the ACV rinse after every wash and that worked. I'm not sure why I stopped, maybe it's because I'm over 8 months post and I'm afraid of the tangling and matting of hair after washing, but anyway, I'll try clarifying with these things and see what happens.

Does anyone know if the baking soda and water causes the hair to mat and/or tangle if your this many months post-relaxer? The detangling process is a chore now and I'd hate to have to deal with matting and tangling. Thanks.