No Mineral Oil Cream Moisturizers

texasqt

Hey ladies! I really want to try a mineral oil & petroleum free moisturizer that I can purchase from Sally's or Ulta. Something with little to no protein that I can use nightly on flat ironed hair. Does anything like this exist? TIA!

IrisDaVirus

I use this one quite a bit for myself and my DD. I like it a lot for wash & go's. I don't flat iron my hair, but my friend's daughter does and she loves it. It's one of the few mineral oil/petroleum free moisturizers I know of out there right now. If I get wind of any others I'll definitely let you know.

julzinha

It is called SILK ELEMENTS MOISTURIZING LEAVE IN! It is creamy, petroleum/ mineral oil, and lanolin free and it is on sale right now at sallys for !3.50

paragon1day

Is the silk elements moisturizing leave in cone free?

ETA: I found it and it appears to be cone free!!!!! Here is the list, so you can correct me if I am wrong, I'm new at looking at ingredients, LOL

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,COCOS NUCIFERA (COCONUT) OIL ,CYCLOPENTASILOXANE ,CETYL ESTERS ,OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) FRUIT OIL ,RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL ,PEG-40 HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL ,POLYACRYLAMIDE ,HYDROLYZED SILK ,HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE ,BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA BUTTER) ,SORBITOL ,FRAGRANCE ,CARTHAMUS TINCTORIUS (SAFFLOWER) SEED OI ,C13-14 ISOPARAFFIN ,LAURETH-7 ,TETRASODIUM EDTA ,DIAZOLIDINYL UREA ,IODOPROPYNYL BUTYLCARBAMATE ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,HYDROXYISOHEXYL 3-CYCLOHEXENE CARBOXALDE ,BENZYL BENZOATE ,LIMONENE ,LINALOOL ,GERANIOL ,BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL ,HEXYL CINNAMAL

Last edited:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Is the silk elements moisturizing leave in cone free?

ETA: I found it and it appears to be cone free!!!!! Here is the list, so you can correct me if I am wrong, I'm new at looking at ingredients, LOL

WATER ,CETEARYL ALCOHOL ,COCOS NUCIFERA (COCONUT) OIL ,CYCLOPENTASILOXANE ,CETYL ESTERS ,OLEA EUROPAEA (OLIVE) FRUIT OIL ,RICINUS COMMUNIS (CASTOR) SEED OIL ,PEG-40 HYDROGENATED CASTOR OIL ,POLYACRYLAMIDE ,HYDROLYZED SILK ,HYDROXYETHYLCELLULOSE ,BUTYROSPERMUM PARKII (SHEA BUTTER) ,SORBITOL ,FRAGRANCE ,CARTHAMUS TINCTORIUS (SAFFLOWER) SEED OI ,C13-14 ISOPARAFFIN ,LAURETH-7 ,TETRASODIUM EDTA ,DIAZOLIDINYL UREA ,IODOPROPYNYL BUTYLCARBAMATE ,ALPHA-ISOMETHYL IONONE ,HYDROXYISOHEXYL 3-CYCLOHEXENE CARBOXALDE ,BENZYL BENZOATE ,LIMONENE ,LINALOOL ,GERANIOL ,BUTYLPHENYL METHYLPROPIONAL ,HEXYL CINNAMAL

The first bolded is a cone. Anything ending in -cone or -xane is a cone.

The 2nd bolded you can read about here: http://truthinaging.com/ingredients/polyacrylamide

I cut and pasted this from the page: It dries to form a thin coating on the skin, hair, or nails; in hair care products, it helps hair hold its style by inhibiting the hair’s ability to absorb moisture.

This is not as bad as your typical cone but if you are dead set against them, I would not use products with this ingredient

jcdlox

Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Cream Hairdress is cheap, mineral oil and petroleum free and has great oils (soybean, olive, macadamia nut, coconut) in the ingredients. I'm not sure if its at Sally or Ulta but it is at CVS. I love it!

texasqt

At a red light so this is going to be short-
Thanks for all of your responses so far and any retail store is fine (except BSSs) and nothing mail order. Bumping for more!

Last edited:

miss_cheveious

Mizani coconut souffle light moisturizing hairdress- no mineral oil nor petroleum and its not heavy on flatironed/relaxed hair whilst leaving it nice and soft.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Do you use cones Myjourney2009? I've been thinking about going cone free. Still looking for products.

No I dont, I stopped using them in 2008 when I went natural, and I have not looked back. I am relaxed now and I still dont use them. If I do its only when I am deeeep into my stretch and I want to flatiron my hair. This does not happen often.

If you decide to go the no cone route you are going to read ingredient list with a magnifying glass. I also dont use petroleum or mineral oil (or any of the derivatives eithier). It takes awhile for the strand to return to normal about 2 weeks and then it looked fantastic.

Last edited:

LaidBak

Great thread! I spent a long time looking for the same thing and I settled on Shescentit jojoba hair milk. But that is a mail order brand. It would be nice to know of a similar one I can get in a local store.

texasqt

Doing the :bump:
I'm going to go shopping tomorrow! Hopefully I won't buy them all :grin:

Are there anymore to consider? I'm really surprised that there aren't many but the BB, Mizani, Bioinfusion, and Hollywood creams sound promising. Especially the BB since I've been using their Castor Oil Cream the last couple of years. It's great but I can tell it weighs my hair down before my next wash because of the mineral oil.

IrisDaVirus

Doing the :bump:
I'm going to go shopping tomorrow! Hopefully I won't buy them all :grin:

Are there anymore to consider? I'm really surprised that there aren't many but the BB, Mizani, Bioinfusion, and Hollywood creams sound promising. Especially the BB since I've been using their Castor Oil Cream the last couple of years. It's great but I can tell it weighs my hair down before my next wash because of the mineral oil.
The Castor Oil cream was one of my favorites for years. Once they added the mineral oil I had to quit using it. Truth be told I've had to let a lot products go because of the mineral oil and/or petroleum. The last of which was my all time favorite, African Royale MOM. If they weren't drying out my hair they were breaking out my skin.

texasqt

The Castor Oil cream was one of my favorites for years. Once they added the mineral oil I had to quit using it. Truth be told I've had to let a lot products go because of the mineral oil and/or petroleum. The last of which was my all time favorite, African Royale MOM. If they weren't drying out my hair they were breaking out my skin.

I wonder if my face is breaking out because of mineral oil. I need to pay close attention to some of my other products because within the last few months I look like I have adult acne and it doesn't make sense. I'm definitely going to try a mineral oil free product to see if I can tell the difference.

I picked up the Mizani Coconut Souffle and the Bioinfusion today. Didn't find the BB and Hollywood cream but I'll try a different section of town over the weekend. I started with the Biofusion tonight and so far I like it. I'm guessing I need to wash again then use it for a week before determining whether it really works for me. Then I'll wash again and try the Mizani.

I am concerned about the ingredients in both products though.

Mizani Coconut Souffle:
aqua/water, cocos nucifera oil/coconut oil, isopropyl palmitate, caprylic/capric triglyceride, stearyl alcohol, glycerin, steareth-21, dimethicone, steareth-2, parfum/fragrance, popylene glycol, polyacrylamide, methylparaben, c13-14 isoparafin, phenoxyethanol, sorbic acid, ethylparaben, camelina sativa oil, xanthan gum, oryza sativa bran oil, laureth-7, hexy cinnamal, benzyl benzoate, limonene, commarin, methylisothiazolinone, benzyl cinnamate, citronellol, geraniol, benzyl alcohol.

I found this about the c13-14 isoparaffin: "C13-14 Isoparaffin is a mixture of hydrocarbons (mineral oils) derived from petroleum." Wouldn't that mean there is mineral oil or no?

Bioinfusion Ingredients
Water (Aqua), Soybean Oil (Glycine Soja), Coconut Oil (Cocos Nucifera), Propylene Glycol, Fragrance (Parfum), Olive Oil (Olea Europaea), Steareth-2, Jojoba Oil (Buxus Chinensis), Steareth-20, Dimethicone, Lanolin Oil, Polyquaternium-37, Propylene Glycol Dicaprylate, Dicaprate, PPG-1 Trideceth-6, DMDM Hydantoin, Hydrolyzed Oat Protein, Propylparaben, Methylparaben, BHA, BHT, Proprietary Blend of Natural Extracts Containing: , (Bee Balm Extract (Monarda Didyma), Carrot Extract (Ducus Carota Sativa), Sunflower Seed Extract (Helianthus Annuus), Wheat Extract (Triticum Vulgare), Blue 1 (CI 42090), Yellow 5 (CI 19140))

I think the ingredients here are ok except for the preservative and parabens :ohwell:

Anyone care to comment on the ingredients? IDK.

paragon1day

The first bolded is a cone. Anything ending in -cone or -xane is a cone.

The 2nd bolded you can read about here: http://truthinaging.com/ingredients/polyacrylamide

I cut and pasted this from the page: It dries to form a thin coating on the skin, hair, or nails; in hair care products, it helps hair hold its style by inhibiting the hair’s ability to absorb moisture.

This is not as bad as your typical cone but if you are dead set against them, I would not use products with this ingredient

Thank you soooo much :grin:. I thought they all ended in -cone only. So, the end in -cone and -xane. Got it! Thanks for the info!!!!! Welp, I bought it today and I kinda like it, so we shall see how it works in the long run :yep:

paragon1day

No I dont, I stopped using them in 2008 when I went natural, and I have not looked back. I am relaxed now and I still dont use them. If I do its only when I am deeeep into my stretch and I want to flatiron my hair. This does not happen often.

If you decide to go the no cone route you are going to read ingredient list with a magnifying glass. I also dont use petroleum or mineral oil (or any of the derivatives eithier). It takes awhile for the strand to return to normal about 2 weeks and then it looked fantastic.

What kind of products do you use? Shampoo, conditioners, leave ins, moisturizers, etc, if you don't mind sharing. TIA:grin:

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
What kind of products do you use? Shampoo, conditioners, leave ins, moisturizers, etc, if you don't mind sharing. TIA

I am relaxed with Mizani BB Super (Because this relaxer is very gentle)

Shampoo:
KISS My Face Whenever or I use 1 T Baking Soda Diluted with 1 Cup water
Before Relaxing and after swimming: Paul Mitchell Shampoo Three (this has (from what I have read on multiple sites) a modified, water soluble cone but I only use it right before relaxing and that is once every 3 or 4 months. When I use it after swimminig I always follow up with the BS/water to rid my hair of the cone or I will use a clarifying conditioner.I have yet to find a chelater that does not have a cone. You can read up about the-cone here: http://www.connock.co.uk/products_silicones.htm

Leave-ins/moisturizers:
Bunning: Jessicurl Aloeba (thinking of ordering the gallon because I like this alot) or Curls Curly Q Coconut Dream Moisturizing Conditioner mixed with Gary nulls Heavenly hair conditioner ( I only use this 1-2x a week)
Flexirod: Jessicurl Too Shea
when wearing hair straight: Qhemet Burdock root creme or Amla and olive (deep into my stretch on my NG) or Oyin handmade Whipped Pudding on my ends.

Deep Conditioner: Every 2 weeks
main ones Lutrasilk Shea Butter Plus or Aubrey Organics White Camelia or BPT Wheat Germ Conditioner (this one never by itself always with one of two bolded) . I have the Lutrasilks with Argan Oil but I have yet to try it. I keep forgetting about it.
After relaxing kept on over night: Nubian Heritage Coconut & papaya mixed with honey and Aloevera Gel, Wheat germ oil, EVCO, EVOO and or Avocado oil.
I also I have a few that I am trying to use up because they dont work for me. I mix 1 T of each into the main ones until they are gone. They are Curl Junkie Hibiscus & Banana, Curls Curl Ecstacy and Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose.

I mix oils and honey (sometimes) into my deep/protein conditioners as well. I try them first without and if they dont work without extras then they are useless for my hair.

Detangler:
Kinky Curl Knot Today (the hair has to have alot of water on it to work properly)

Cowash:
Trader Joes NOurish Spa and/or Renpure Organics I love my hair Body & Shine and/or Whole Foods 365 Lavender Blend Conditioner or Escenia by Samy Mandarin Citrus Horsetail & Wheat (this has been discontinued so I use this sparingly. I am on the hunt to find more of this because I really like it.

Protein:
Keratin (used 2 weeks after relaxing and then once a month after that):MillCreek Botanicals Biotin Conditioner
Veggie Protein used after relaxing and before neutralizing and every 2 weeks after): Jheri Redding Natural Protein Conditioner mixed with Ion Effective Care treatment. I did a post about it here: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=447642&highlight=

Conditioner used before and after swimming: Aubrey Organics Swimmers Normalizing Conditioner. I think I am going to slater my head with the Paul Mitchell Shampoo 3 in the future and see how that works.

I am always on the lookout for new Deep conditioners and co-wash and leave-ins/moisturizers. If you find any let me know. I have a few I would like to try. I would like to try a few from Shescenit and Curl Junkie and a few others but they can get expensive and after using one from Curl Junkie I was not impressed so I will wait.

Like I mentioned I use cones when deeeep into my stretch if I want to flatiron. This is usually just the heat protectant serum. I use Fantasia IC and I might throw in a conditioner with a cone before drying my hair.

If I remeber anything else I will add to this in bold.

Keep in mind this HHJ has a curve so what works for me may not work for you and vice versa.

Last edited:

BeautifulNameX

royal roots detangler softner remover deionized water nut oil propylene shea buter vitamin e olive oil cocoa buter oil herbal moisturizers and detandler silk protien balsam aloe vera. . . i frickin love this stuff i bought four bottles its at the hair store

baddison

natural for good
:bump:
any more?

Giovanni Direct Leave-In
Ingredients:Aqua (purified water), aloe barbadensis (aloe vera), leaf juice, *rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, *urtica dioica (nettle) extract, *thymus vulgaris (thyme) extract, *chamomilla recutita (matricaria) extract, *salva scalrea (clary) leaf extract, *lavandula angustifolia (lavender) extract, *achillea millefolium(yarrow) extract, *equisetum arvenese extract, * glycine soja (soybean) seed extract, cetyl alcohol (plant derived), tocopherol (vitamin E), panthenol (pro-vitamin B5), citric acid (corn), phenoxyethanol, grapefruit seed (citrus derived) and natural fragrance.
*Certified organic by guaranteed organic certification agency.

Aubrey Organics White Camelia Conditioner (doubles as an awesome daily moisturizer) :yep:
Ingredients:Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Organic Aloe Vera, White Camellia Oil, Wheat Germ Oil; Extracts of Fennel, Hops, Balm Mint, Mistletoe, Camomile and Yarrow; Organic Geranium Oil, Organic Rosemary Oil, Organic Sage Oil, Carrot Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E).

tri3nity

Hollywood Beauty Olive Oil Cream Hairdress is cheap, mineral oil and petroleum free and has great oils (soybean, olive, macadamia nut, coconut) in the ingredients. I'm not sure if its at Sally or Ulta but it is at CVS. I love it!

This is what I use. It keeps my hair moisturized without weighing it down and I never have build up.