nice natural styles in this vid....

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
After hearing that message, I had to look at her channel to find a snapshot of how she styled her hair. She wears sisterlocks. Why doesn't she wear her hair in it's natural un-styled state? I don't know about her being a natural hair stylist, but she did say she is a certified food psychology coach.

Stormy

Eh... I disagree that kinky, kinky haired and tightly coiled hair women don't have a voice and when she says it's only the type 3s and those considered to have a good grade of hair are getting all of the attention. IRL in the workplace, on TV and on the hair boards you see the type 4s getting just as much attention. I'm a 4B/4C and I proudly wear my TWA. And I get compliments whether it's nearly all shaved off to in between stages and shoulder length.

Now, I agree that there are a lot of women who still try and change their texture. For various reasons though. Some just simply can't handle their hair. The SSKs, the hours upon hours of dealing with their hair, and they just want something that's more conducive to their lifestyle. There is nothing wrong with that. I wouldn't say the majority are not proud of what God gave them. Oh, yes there are those right on the board that complain about shrinkage (I happen to like mine), but not most. Just seems like she's saying everyone is split up into two categories. Like going back to the old days of light skinned vs. dark skinned and good hair vs. bad hair, etc... that's what she's saying so it seems, but I don't see it exactly like that. Then again, I guess she's just going by what she sees in her shop daily as a stylist.

Stormy

Oh, and I forgot to add... I work in a building with a lot of attorneys. Just about all of them on my floor who are natural wear afros, big ones and twa's, braids while they give their hair a break and one wears sister locks. No shame there.

AnotherLevel

Hi Stormy,

I see that you live in Atlanta (I love it there!!). I am not surprised that your experience is as you described. The Natural Community where you are is alive and well. IMO, it really depends on where you are and what the "Natural Scene" looks like there. Despite how powerful this "Natural Movement" (as some call it) is, there are still a lot of women who want to look like they "fit in". This means no "extreme" colors, styles, or textures. I've lived in Arizona for the past 6 years. Though I am meeting more and more naturals, many of them wear their hair straight as to "fit in" with their surroundings. They have explained that they aren't "brave enough" to wear their natural texture "out here" (as almost no one I know is from Arizona).

I agree with you that some women don't wear their natural texture because they find it difficult to manage. However, some don't because natural hair is not fully accepted where they live. I see a lot of media campaigns that feature Type 3 hair... making it more acceptable and "exotic". Where I am, I see almost zero celebration of natural 4 textures, in the media or otherwise. Some friends tell me that they can't imagine wearing their hair "natural", meaning textured, hair to work (in their professional work environments). It is simply not as accepted in some environments.

The video suggests that some naturals don't wear their hair in its natural texture because they want it to be "curly", more like Type 3 hair. I would argue that this just may be the case because curly hair is more accepted (in some places) than kinky hair.

Just my two cents :).

Stormy

@AnotherLevel, oh okay I see what you're saying. It would have been better if she said women who live in "certain places" or something to that extent because what I got from the video is that "most" feel this way everywhere and like I said all types seem to be widely accepted on TV (I guess they could be appealing to those in NY or other places where it's accepted). I like the way you explained your point though. It's a shame that still goes on in this day and age, but I guess it is what it is.

By the way I loooove your hair!

Last edited:

AnotherLevel

Stormy: Thanks. I'm not sure if that is what she meant in her video but this is the way I took it, I suppose. One of the major reasons I don't like Arizona is because it lacks culture (Black culture) in every way... compared to what I'm used to in Chicago. These women here have beautiful natural hair but are afraid to wear it. It really is a shame. Once they place that PhD in my hands next year, I'm on the first thing smokin' out this place!! Lol!! It must be such a blessing to live in a place where your beauty is embraced :). Ok, sorry to turn that into an Arizona rant, lol!
I agree with you, it's a shame what still goes on. Hopefully things will change soon.

Thank you for the compliment :)

Stormy

LOL no AnotherLevel it's not just an Arizona rant. As soon as I read your post I immediately thought of Utah. :lachen:Yes I'm glad we don't have to deal with the backwardness here. Actually, even if it wasn't accepted here I would probably just be an outcast.