Nexxus Users- I need all the feedback you can give.

cminter

I am 4b. I currently use Redken All Soft and Extreme Products.
What products did you ladies use before Nexxus? What caused you to switch to these products? Are they the best you have found? Do they provide ultimate moisture?

Also, I noticed the Humectress contains mineral oil, glycerin, and petroleum. I thought each of these were a "no-no".

Thanks in Advance for your Responses and Help.

Last edited:
I used whatever was available, but my stylist started to use nexxus, and recommended products based on my specific needs.

I swear by KerapHix, Humectress and I used to use Headress, but it causes flaking for me. I have been using these for years and have had great success with them.

Nexxus products do not work well for my hair. The only Nexxus product I use is Emergencee (which is great). The shampoos, conditioners and leave-in make my hair dry.

I have 4b hair and been using nexxus for over 10 years (even before I understood HOW to use the products!) and I love the products. I have used pretty much ALL at some point and here's my review:

THERAPPE: excellent moisturizing poo hands down, a staple for me
HUMECTRESS: uber excellent, can't describe how this conditioner has saved my hair time and time again is soo many different ways . . . (I've decided my hair LOVES mineral oil, glycerin, petrolatum, lanolin, etc -- when I used products without these ingredients, my hair dries out)
HEADRESS CREAM: very good leave in(I alternate between headdress, salerm 21, giovanni direct)
HEADRESS SERUM: good. nothing but 'cones and no different than other serums out there, last forever 'cause I go lite on 'cones (I have had the current bottle for like 3 years now . . . )
ENSURE: great as final rinse (this condish not moisturizing enough for me to use by itself, but good following another condish, like humectress)
EMERGENCEE: uber excellent hard protein, like humectress, can't describe how this has been a saving grace over the years
KERAPHIX: very good soft protein (I alternate with aubrey's GPB)
EPITOME: very good, I only use this when I do a nexxus "omni-pak" (cocktail of humectress, keraphix, epitome, and botanic oil) -- the small bottle lasts me forever 'cause I use like once every 6 weeks or so.
BOTANOIL: very good poo, but I prefer therappe (use this every once in a while whenever I want to switch up so the small size last forever)
ALOE RID: excellent (gentle) clarifying poo (small size last me forever 'cause I only clarifying with this like once every 12 weeks or so)
SIMPLE SILVER: uber excellent "blue poo" for grey hair (works like a clarfiying poo but focus on removing that "yellow cast" from grey hair -- small last me forever 'cause I use once every 12 weeks - alternate with aloe rid)
ASSURE: OK. used once and left my hair dry and never used again - gave away 'cause way to drying for me headdress
BOTANIC OIL: excellent oil, I rotate this with others (jojoba, castor, avacado, etc.)

Wow, I think I got everything. HTH

Last edited:
Neroli, Thanks for the detailed review. Webby, Natalied, and Nikki1971- thanks for the honest reviews ladies.

Well lets see I have the following Nexxus Products...

Nexxus Emergencee ( I absolutely l...ove this stuff!!! :love: )
Nexxus Therapee (Great Shampoo for my relaxed hair...dosen't dry it out) :yep:
Nexxus Humectress (Gets a great big thumbs :down: :down: makes my hair dry!!!)
Nexxus Botanil ( I haven't used this shampoo yet)
Nexxus Keraphix (Didn't help shedding or breakage for me...Elasta QP BReakage Control Serum is wayyyyyyy better)

I hope this helps you!!:D

Last edited:
natalied said:
I've pretty much given up on all Nexxus products EXCEPT Emergencee. It is a great protein treatment.

Ditto... Keraphix made my hair hard, Humectress did nothing to soften it up. That's all I tried. I like Emergencee but I don't know if it's worth the $$$.

Emergencee - The best protein for my hair

Keraphix - great light protein - I alternate with Aubrey's GPB

Therapee shamppo- very moisturizing, but I like Keracare detangling shampoo better

Humectress - haven't used this in a long time- I use NTM mask/DDC instead right now

Thanks ladies. I am in a dilemna. Some 4a/b love the products, and some absolutely hate the products.... I am not sure if I should trade my Redken in for Nexxus or not. I llike the products I have, but my hair is dry the following day after a wash.

cminter said:
Thanks ladies. I am in a dilemna. Some 4a/b love the products, and some absolutely hate the products.... I am not sure if I should trade my Redken in for Nexxus or not. I llike the products I have, but my hair is dry the following day after a wash.

I suggest the small or trial sizes before making a major investment 'cause nexxus ain't cheap. I know some beauty salons carry nexxus trials sizes and Ulta sometimes have them; or email/call the company for samples or where to buy the small sizes in your area. You always get the "some love" and "some hate" a particular product and only way to know if right for you is to try it yourself, preferable without going broke . . .

I stopped using Humectress for awhile and started using NTM products. I recently switched back to Humectress and can't figure out why I ever stopped using it! With this product, I'm going to be able to stretch my relaxer past my usual 13 weeks.

I'm not a 4 but I had to take all my nexxus products back. I used them for about 2 months and my hair was shedding like crazy!! They dried my hair out.

If your hair is dry the day after using Redken then what do you have to lose by trying something different? Go to Nexxus' site and request samples. While petroleum and mineral oil are generally no-nos for everyone, glycerin is a natural humectant and works great for lots of people. The combo may work for you.

I'm a 4B and I didn't find the Therappe great at all. Keracare Hydrating Detangling or NTM are much better, IMO. Humectress is good for CW or final rinsing but as a deep cond. it wasn't moisturizing enough for my dry hair. I prefer Biolage Ultra Hydrating. I love, love, love Keraphix as a light protein and use it weekly. My hair feels noticibly stronger instantly after rinsing.

luvSLave said:
If your hair is dry the day after using Redken then what do you have to lose by trying something different? Go to Nexxus' site and request samples. While petroleum and mineral oil are generally no-nos for everyone, glycerin is a natural humectant and works great for lots of people. The combo may work for you.

I'm a 4B and I didn't find the Therappe great at all. Keracare Hydrating Detangling or NTM are much better, IMO. Humectress is good for CW or final rinsing but as a deep cond. it wasn't moisturizing enough for my dry hair. I prefer Biolage Ultra Hydrating. I love, love, love Keraphix as a light protein and use it weekly. My hair feels noticibly stronger instantly after rinsing.

I agree....if moisture is what you are looking for give another line a try if Redken is too drying. I think the NTM line is very moisturizing, as well as Keracare Humecto, Paul Mitchell Supercharged moist cond, Mizani Kerafuse, Kenra MC, Elucence. You should be able to get samples of most.

HTH

What products did you ladies use before Nexxus? Regular BSS/drugstore shampoos, conditioners and styling aids.

What caused you to switch to these products? After reading Shamboosie book and he recommended this line as the best hair care products for relaxed hair I decided to give it a try. (Humectress, Therappe, Headress, Keraphix, Diametress, Emergencee and Botanic oil).

Are they the best you have found? Nope. I recently discovered Keracare hydrating detangling shampoo yesterday and I am so inlove right now it's not funny. I have also been using the following products since I became a member of this board (CON, Elasta QP, Natures Gate, Jasons, AO, Asha's, Myhoneychild, Akiva (just to name a few) and just regular drugstore conditioners.

Do they provide ultimate moisture? No. Not for me. The only products that I like from the Nexxus line are Humectress, Keraphix, Diametress (when I want volume), Emergencee (protein treatment) and the Botanic oil (to seal in the moisture and I also use it in my deep conditioner ).

HTH.

I use the therappe, Keraphix, emergencee, headress and humetress with good results. These products leave my hair very moisturized and managable.

The only product that I've tried and didn't like from this line was the assure shampoo, it left my hair a dry and tangled mess!

When Nexxus was discounted in my area, I tried almost the entire Nexxus line and had to take most of them back. Almost every product dried my hair out or just didn't help. Most places were Nexxus is sold have a generous refund policy. Keep you receipts.

Poos: Therappe - seemed to moisturize before conditioner was applied, but after any conditioner was used my hair dried out
Botanoil - shampoo tangled and dried my hair, no condtioner could help

Conds: Humectress - barely moisturized, but ultimately dried my hair
Keraphix - dried my hair but I expected this from a protein cond
Ensure - this is a detangler that didn't detangle
Emergencee - I actually like this reconstructor. It made my hair
shiny after using it. But a good moisturizer is needed after use.

Other products: Y serum - supposedly used to make hair healthier. I don't
know if it works because I stopped using after it
occasionally dried my hair.
Vita Tress Biotin Creme - haven't really used it that much,
but I don't like the way it feels or smells.

So far the only real keeper for me is Emergencee. But I got the bottles at 70% off. I don't know if I would pay for it at full price. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
cminter said:
What products did you ladies use before Nexxus? What caused you to switch to these products? Are they the best you have found? Do they provide ultimate moisture?

Also, I noticed the Humectress contains mineral oil, glycerin, and petroleum. I thought each of these were a "no-no".

I started using NEXXUS EMERGENCEE because of the great reviews on the forum---this is great for my hair--it stops any shedding or problems my hair may be having.

I also tried NEXXUS HEADRESS because sooo many 4's on the forum were using it as a leave-in--- I really like it !--I was using NIOXIN Silk Elixir nd Rusk Smoother as creamy leave-ins before Nexxus Headress.

The NEXXUS BIOTIN Creme has been a great revitalizer amongst my hair inventory. It does promote growth for me.

As far as moisture--the HUMECTRESS was not as moisturizing as KENRA or JOICO KPAK products. And the Keraphix was not the deal for my hair at all.

taraglam2 said:
I started using NEXXUS EMERGENCEE because of the great reviews on the forum---this is great for my hair--it stops any shedding or problems my hair may be having.

I cannot believe I forgot about Emergencee. I started to use this last year to combat shedding. I :love: this stuff.

Therappe: LOVE the smell. Usually shampoos with any sulfates dry the hell out of my hair, but not this one

Keraphix: i love how my hair feels after using this, really soft and luscious. Helps with shedding but not earth-shattering.

Humectress: great as a leave-in, but works wonders as a deep con, usually done w/o heat. I LOVE this too! :)

Therappe - i loved it and discovered it was actually drying to my hair when i tried kenra moisturising shampoo. will not buy again

humectress - would use as a deep conditioner but now alone. it does not help with detangling. will not buy again

keraphix - wayyyyy better than humectress with conditioning and detangling. will buy again

biotin creme - too small size for the price. also leaves build up on the scalp

headress - love the smell but i have too many leave ins and havent had the chance to try it for a long while. i might not buy again

out of all these, keraphix is def the best for me

cminter said:

For me Nexxus products are alright but they aren't the holy grail when it comes to keeping hair moisturized. The Humectress is decent but I have tried Kenra and Humectress doesn't even compare. The Keraphix is nice and I might repurchase it.

I've tried:

Humectress: I find it moisturising and detangling when used as directed

Keraphix: good, light protein, it doesn't harden my hair too much

Emergencee : good hard protien, but tpp expensive

Therappe: ok, but I prefer Keracare hydrating

Ensure: good after my emergencee-humectress treatments, it makes my hair easier to detangle

Some people get turned off with Humectress cause there is no immediate slip. But the thing is that after you apply it, put a plastic cap on and at least let it condition for 30 minutes- and then you will get awesome slip. I really believe that with consistant use, Nexxus is beneficial for good hair. I use Therappe and Humectress- and I love them. And I also love the scent.

Back