Newbie needing some advice please

chinablac

Two wks ago I had highlights put in for the first time and I need some advice on keeping it healthy w/ min breakage. I asked the stylist for some at home hair tips but he just said to cont to go to him for my wash/cond. Of course the first thing that I thought was he wants me to keep giving him my money bc why not give me some tips on how to maintain my hair in between visits:perplexed I haven't had a relaxer since my bday back in Aug and have been getting ponytails and blowouts(I think it's called blowouts, where they starighten your hair the hand blowdryer then flat iron it,not by the Dominican's he's Black.) I was getting sew in's for over 4 yrs but my hair wasn't budging(it's shoulder length so I'm trying the "blowout" method every 2 wks to see if that will help with the growing process.) He did tell me after asking a few times on what products do he like and he said Nexxus so I bought some of that. What else should I do to try to prevent damage to my hair? Some one told me that it wasn't wise for me to get colored in the winter????? Any advice will be greatly aprreciated. Thanks ladies, Nina