newbie help Everytime I comb, hair falls out!

dinarine

hello everyone im new at this site and im am sooo happy i found it because my hair is sooooo damaged, its been through alot!. I've been wearing my hair in weave for like 3 yrs now and i never bothered to take care of my hair cuz i always had it in weave. But i decided to get healthy hair so that i dont have to wear weave anymore.

***Im relaxed and i have fine hair, i guess cuz its damaged. and i noticed that everytime i comb my hair alot of hair falls out like a good 15 strands EVERY SINGLE TIME. for as long as i could remember this was the case. Ive been trying not to comb as much but i dont think that its normal.. can anyone help me pleeeeaaassse:ohwell:

xcuzememiss

First off welcome!! Second this could be a few problems二 for one you should check the protein levels in your hair. I reccomend googling Sistaslick and reading her great articles about breakage. Second it might be the tos and technique. What type of comb are you using and how are you combing your hair. If your comb has sharp or jagged edges that will deff pull your hair out. Also if your ripping the comb through your hair that would account. Those are just some places where you shod start off. Ooh yeah, what type of products are you using? If we have a little more background info we could probably help you better.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
Welcome! :wave:

Have you taken a look at the hair that is coming out?
It may just be shedding, which happens to everyone. Next time you comb, check for a white bulb at one end of the hair. If most of the hair is like that, it means that they have just shed. If you aren't noticing balding or thinning spots, scalp soreness or irritation, or anything out of the ordinary, I'd tell you not to worry, because it's normal. Seeing all the hair wrapped around the comb is kind of scary, but really...it's normal. But to slow shedding, you could try a garlic shampoo, a garlic conditioner (Alter Ego is a favorite around here), or you could try taking a garlic supplement internally.

If you look at the hair and see no bulbs, or the hair is short, little pieces, then it's probably breakage. In that case, I think it'd be most helpful to post your products, regimen, and the kinds of hair tools (combs, brushes, heat appliances) that you use and how often you use them. Then, people can help you pinpoint what's giving you the breakage and how to stop it from continuing. hth, and good luck!

dinarine

What's your hair regimen at the moment?

okay my hair regiment is still new so im not sure if i would be seeing results as of yet. i just started moisturizing wit the elasta qp mango butter and seal with a mix of JBCO and WGO.. i wash once a week and ive been pre-pooing with the EVCO (love this stuff) and i either shampoo with creame of nature or cowash with VO5 moisture milks... then i do the apoogee 2 minute reconstructer for like 10mins without heat( i guess this is the light protein treatment)...then i do the kera care humecto for like 20mins with heat (for moisture).. umm i rollerset now and as a leave in i use the aphogee pro vitamin leave in and the cantu shea butter leave in and last week i also added some EVCO which made my hair feel really soft after i took out the rollers..

dinarine

First off welcome!! Second this could be a few problems二 for one you should check the protein levels in your hair. I reccomend googling Sistaslick and reading her great articles about breakage. Second it might be the tos and technique. What type of comb are you using and how are you combing your hair. If your comb has sharp or jagged edges that will deff pull your hair out. Also if your ripping the comb through your hair that would account. Those are just some places where you shod start off. Ooh yeah, what type of products are you using? If we have a little more background info we could probably help you better.

thank you so much! i will check out those articles..

dinarine

Welcome! :wave:

Have you taken a look at the hair that is coming out?
It may just be shedding, which happens to everyone. Next time you comb, check for a white bulb at one end of the hair. If most of the hair is like that, it means that they have just shed. If you aren't noticing balding or thinning spots, scalp soreness or irritation, or anything out of the ordinary, I'd tell you not to worry, because it's normal. Seeing all the hair wrapped around the comb is kind of scary, but really...it's normal. But to slow shedding, you could try a garlic shampoo, a garlic conditioner (Alter Ego is a favorite around here), or you could try taking a garlic supplement internally.

If you look at the hair and see no bulbs, or the hair is short, little pieces, then it's probably breakage. In that case, I think it'd be most helpful to post your products, regimen, and the kinds of hair tools (combs, brushes, heat appliances) that you use and how often you use them. Then, people can help you pinpoint what's giving you the breakage and how to stop it from continuing. hth, and good luck!

this is sooooo helpful!!! thank you soo much.. okay the hair def doesnt have the bulbs... some pieces are long and some are short so i guess its breaking.. i didnt think it was shedding cuz from what i been reading on here shedding happends periodically and my hair falls out all the time...i guess its really damaged.. i posted my products tell me what you guys think

Rastafarai

okay my hair regiment is still new so im not sure if i would be seeing results as of yet. i just started moisturizing wit the elasta qp mango butter and seal with a mix of JBCO and WGO.. i wash once a week and ive been pre-pooing with the EVCO (love this stuff) and i either shampoo with creame of nature or cowash with VO5 moisture milks... then i do the apoogee 2 minute reconstructer for like 10mins without heat( i guess this is the light protein treatment)...then i do the kera care humecto for like 20mins with heat (for moisture).. umm i rollerset now and as a leave in i use the aphogee pro vitamin leave in and the cantu shea butter leave in and last week i also added some EVCO which made my hair feel really soft after i took out the rollers..

Welcome to the LHCF community!!

I think you need to minimize the protein treatment. Cut it down once a month if you have to, especially if using Aphogee Reconstructor.

How often do you use heat and if you do use direct heat (flat iron, blowdrying) do you use a heat protectant?

dinarine

Thank u for all the feedback! Okay I jus ripped like 3 hairs from my roots..n I noticed the white bulb mentioned earlier at the root.. Sooo wit each strand I snaped a piece off frm the ends n it snapped off so easily.. ( I had died my hair last yr) but wen I went to snap more toward the roots it was harder to snap.. N as I ran my figure tips frm top to bottom of the strand I def felt the texture diff.. The top part felt alot stronger.. So with that said do u guys think I still should b cutting doin on the protein?? Or mayb use a lighter protein?? Or mayb I need more moisture... I should mention my hair doesn't move.. u kno like how healthy hair bounces.. It's pretty stiff... N the hair falls out :-/

NikkiGirl

My hair was breaking when I first got serious about taking care of my hair and what really helped was putting down the flatiron and moisture. Step away from direct heat. My hair hates it. I dried my hair out and caused it to break. Since I started DCing and don't flatiron, my hair doesn't break at all. Hope this helps.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
Thank u for all the feedback! Okay I jus ripped like 3 hairs from my roots..n I noticed the white bulb mentioned earlier at the root.. Sooo wit each strand I snaped a piece off frm the ends n it snapped off so easily.. ( I had died my hair last yr) but wen I went to snap more toward the roots it was harder to snap.. N as I ran my figure tips frm top to bottom of the strand I def felt the texture diff.. The top part felt alot stronger.. So with that said do u guys think I still should b cutting doin on the protein?? Or mayb use a lighter protein?? Or mayb I need more moisture... I should mention my hair doesn't move.. u kno like how healthy hair bounces.. It's pretty stiff... N the hair falls out :-/

Bingo! I'm no expert but I know hair dye can wreck HAVOC on our hair. I'm assuming you are double processed (dye on top of a relaxer). I bet your hair doesn't move because of a lack of moisture.

My recommendation: If you're not opposed to wearing protective styling for a few months, wet bun or spray with some sort of water based moisturizer (I use good old V05 and water in a spray bottle and it's GOOD!! :grin:)and seal with an oil for a few months to get your moisture levels up. This is what I did my first few months and it worked wonders. It only took 2-3 months for me to see a huge improvement.

I think you're using a little too much protein like the others have said. Do the recontructor once or twice per month and ditch the EQP for now. I think you need more moisture right now than it can provide.

I hope this helps! Good luck!