NEW YORK - HAIR BRAIDERS

Anaya18

Does anyone know of any good hair braiders in New York. Any input will be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!!! The front of my hair is thinning terribly and I would love to find someone that could "gently" braid my hair so I could give it a rest.

Pumpkin

You can try Afrigenix salon on 72nd and Broadway. They charge alot but they treat your hair really good. That is wear Maxwell gets his hair done. If you go ask for Shaella. Her braids stay in long but they don't tug at your scalp.

Ennyaa

Have you ever considered trying to braid your own hair? I did it recently for the first time and though it takes a chunk out of your weekend, no one knows how you want your hair treated better than you do. (Not to mention how much money I saved.) I was able to really pay special attention to my edges too.

Anaya18

Pumpkin-
Thank you Pumpkin for the advice-- I will look into the salon very soon!!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ennyaa - Thank you also for your words of advice, but my hair is way to thin to braid without "help." /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ennyaa

That's cool I understand where you're coming from. It took me YEARS to get to the point where I would do it myself. (Not to mention thinning pockets. lol)

Just be careful about the braids if your hair is thin. I don't want it to make it even thinner which sometimes braids can /images/graemlins/frown.gif. You should browse through some of the other threads on here about braid maintenance if you haven't already.

Robin41

Ennyaa, how do you get your parts straight? That's my biggest problem with braiding my own hair and that's what takes so doggone long. I work with two mirrors but it still takes a long time. Any time-saving hints (I hope)???

Ennyaa

Hmmm time saving? Weellll I don't know about that. I've never had a hard time with parts though. I use two mirrors also but I have to admit a lot of the time I go by "feel" and use the 2nd mirror just to check my part or make small adjustments. Hell I decided to redo the bottom row (nape of neck) of my braids because I decided when I was done that the parts were to big and I could fit a few more braids.

So I guess the only real "time saver" is not to spend a whole lot of time tryna hold the mirror with one hand while you part with another. Once you start to trust yourself you'd be surprised how straight your parts are without even looking. Also using clips and bands etc to hold the hair you're not parting out of your way is a necessity. And a rat-tail comb! Not the kind that narrows down to a point but the kind that actually has just a thin metal stick coming out of the "teeth" part of the comb.

It's funny but as I type this I'm realizing that often when I'm parting the back of my hair I close my eyes! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif lol I don't do it consciously either I just do it because I can "feel" it better that way. I'm SUCH a friggin weirdo.