New shiny BALD PATCH! ...Oooh what to do???

africanqueen456

So I went to the dermatologist because my alopecia was getting worse

:nono: Yes I have a bald patch...Im a sophmore in college and I have been so stressed out lately and I DONT KNOW what to do...This is my third shiny patch in the past six years. I know why they come also.. Usally when I am stressed, have been crying too much and have not been eating well.. Can ANYONE HELP ME?..Im too young be going through this....

My old patch has grown about an inch in 3 months( sulfur sparingly and some workouts) but the patch has grown to size of half dollar and I have a new spot in the crown.

I got some cortisone injection . Do you guys have any tips.... Yes I have been even more stressed out lately.:nono::nono:....

Last edited:

HappilyLiberal

:nono: Yes I have a bald patch...Im a sophmore in college and I have been so stressed out lately and I DONT KNOW what to do...This is my third shiny patch in the past six years. I know why they come also.. Usally when I am stressed, have been crying too much and have not been eating well.. Can ANYONE HELP ME?..Im yoo young be going through this....

You need to do something about your stress levels. Treating the bald spots is treating the symptoms not the cause. I am not trying to be snarky. I had this same problem. Stress used to always show up on my scalp. However, one time, instead of my hair falling out, the stress affected my menstrual cycle. I literally bled for almost an entire month. For someone who is anemic, this was almost deadly. You really do need to see a doctor and get some help in controlling your stress levels.

africanqueen456

No I understand .It is okay you are not snarky...Im going to the doctor on Monday..The thing that is bothering me is that this not the first time this has happened to me...I am only a teenager!!!

Tiye

It's good that you're going to a doctor. Maybe s/he can help. In the meantime you say you haven't been eating well. Change that now. If you don't know how to eat a proper diet, then use the internet and start looking up that info now - it's out there.

Nonie

I agree with the PPs. If you don't eat well, your body will focus on nourishing your vital organs while "trivial things" like hair and nails will be left to "starve". So you do need to get a hold of these "might-be" causes for the bald spot and it may just be that things will fall into place and your hair will grow back. Food allergies can also be to blame especially if the spot itches after you eat.

Once you get your diet under control, massaging the spot to encourage nutrient and oxygen delivery by your blood can help your follicles. Then there are a lot of recommendations in this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/ha...iscussion/419438-***-~-im-survivor-~-***.html

Mook's hair

Yes sweetie, you have to eat some veggies and some eggs and bananas and some healthy food. Is your stress school/family/boys/ all of the above... Don't let boys stress you out!

Also go to the drugstore and get some Flinstones vitamins. Get Flinstones Complete and take 2 each day. Another thing that will help is Emu oil applied on the bald area.

Where are you in Jersey? I'm in Jersey too. I can cornrow your hair for you if it is long enough PM me.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Have you tried yoga or any other relaxation techniques? Do you pray?

Iluvsmuhgrass

ITA with the ladies above. I was stressed out so bad that it began to affect my body. I was drained to the point that the docs thought I had mono... but when that tested negative they put me on iron (I was anemic) it was awful. I had gotten better for a little bit but when stressful situations hit later in life, I was put on meds for fibromyalgia. Those worked but they gave me bad side effects. I went on a mission to try to do more holistic routines (valerian, chamomile, magnesium maleate - a natural muscle relaxant) and those worked fairly well!

Yoga is AMAZING! People underestimate it or are turned off because they have meat on their bones. You just have to alter the position to fit YOUR body if that's the case. It relaxes your body and helps to ease your mind. One of my faves for beginners is Louise Solomon's Yoga & Pilates Total Body Toner. Working out helps to relieve stress too but you HAVE to eat right. If all else fails and you can't get it all in, try some meal replacements and vitamins to help protect your system's immune system.

Last but not least, change the way you process things. Since I've gotten older, I've realized that it's almost never as big a deal as I make it out to be. I still worry, but not about EVERYTHING.

Hope it gets better for you. :bighug:

OT: Mook you're awesome. :yep:

LaidBak

Get some clove oil. I had a bald patch for 2 months and after I started using it my hair came back in 3 weeks.
Sorry about all your stress. I hope things work out.

winnettag

Well the ladies pretty much summed it up!
But in addition, I used emu oil when I got a bald patch in the front of my head and it helped.
Take care of yourself. Hugs!

smoothie696

Sounds like alopecia. Same thing happened to me as a sophomore in college and mine is also triggered by stressed. Going to a dermatologist is the best option. They can give you shots and the hair will begin to start growing within the month and should be completely filled in within 3 months. Another option is liquid treatment that the doctor can prescribed. I had some success with this but this takes longer around 9 months for the bald spots to fill in. I also what helps is rubbing sulfur and increasing your vitamins as well. Zinc, Fish Oil, Vitamin B have all helped with my Alopecia. I hope this helps. I have been fighting this battle for 6 years now. It comes in go. But it is very important to keep your stress down, otherwise these methods will help the hair grow back in that spot, but you will continue to get new spots. HTH.

cutiebe2

You have alopecia areta....basically bald patches

I am from NJ if you need the name of a dermatologist I can provide a good one. You do not need a doctor, you need a dermatologist. The derm can also run a series of test to make sure your iron, thryoid etc etc are all working well. We have an alopecia thread going already. I have been suffering from this for the past three years and my patches have grown back

Please keep in mind that eating healthy in no way guarentees a stop to these bald patches. I know many people who thought it was just their poor eating habits and stress and so they improved both and still got a patch. It has to do with you auto immune system. But don't worry, like your others, it will grow back.

You can PM me if you want me to explain in more detail alopecia etc. But you can also google and get tons of information.

Here is the LHCF group: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/hair-care-tips-product-review-discussion/419438-***-~-im-survivor-~-***.html

Last edited:

africanqueen456

:bighug: Yall dont know how much this means to me....Wow thanks for the replies ladies...:bouncy:...I really have anyone to talk to about my situation and it has gotten worse since I post this which has me crying more..But Im going to be okay.. Now for I plan to do.
I will start:exercising 3-4x a week cardio/drinking adequate water
be applying my sulfur mix there daily(I have been doing this already)
I will be eating more veggies and fruit
and taking flintstones as Mook suggested(Hey girl!:grin:)
I am also drinking aloe vera juice and scalp massaging as well...
I am transitioning so that should help but do you guys think I should get a sew in? thanks again so much!!

africanqueen456

ITA with the ladies above. I was stressed out so bad that it began to affect my body. I was drained to the point that the docs thought I had mono... but when that tested negative they put me on iron (I was anemic) it was awful. I had gotten better for a little bit but when stressful situations hit later in life, I was put on meds for fibromyalgia. Those worked but they gave me bad side effects. I went on a mission to try to do more holistic routines (valerian, chamomile, magnesium maleate - a natural muscle relaxant) and those worked fairly well!

Yoga is AMAZING! People underestimate it or are turned off because they have meat on their bones. You just have to alter the position to fit YOUR body if that's the case. It relaxes your body and helps to ease your mind. One of my faves for beginners is Louise Solomon's Yoga & Pilates Total Body Toner. Working out helps to relieve stress too but you HAVE to eat right. If all else fails and you can't get it all in, try some meal replacements and vitamins to help protect your system's immune system.

Last but not least, change the way you process things. Since I've gotten older, I've realized that it's almost never as big a deal as I make it out to be. I still worry, but not about EVERYTHING.

Hope it gets better for you. :bighug:

OT: Mook you're awesome. :yep:

Thanks.IA Maybe it isnt that big of a deal..I have stopped exercising and havent been eating properly for a month...I dont really do yoga...But I dorm at college so I dont where to go.I also am not driving. Yes my stress is boy related and I have no one to really talk to about it. Me and my mom arent on good terms so I dont have ne one to take me to the doctor I am just going to the one at school

bludaydreamr

*hug* Awww...like the other ladies said make sure you are take a muti-vitamin eating right, and exercise to relieve some of the tension you have.
My SO had a dime size amount of hair fall out last year around this time because of stress. He changed his diet and began exercising. The spot grew back in, for some reason it's like 2b, 3a and it will not lock like the rest of his 3c.

Iluvsmuhgrass

Thanks.IA Maybe it isnt that big of a deal..I have stopped exercising and havent been eating properly for a month...I dont really do yoga...But I dorm at college so I dont where to go.I also am not driving. Yes my stress is boy related and I have no one to really talk to about it. Me and my mom arent on good terms so I dont have ne one to take me to the doctor I am just going to the one at school

You'd be surprised what a good diet and exercise can do for you. :yep: I cut down on eating white starches and sugars (like rice, potatoes, white sugars, etc.) Honestly it helped me alot. Start by slowly implementing better eating habits and work your way up.

As far as yoga, try checking out a dvd or vhs from your local library. The libraries here (local and campus) have several books and dvd's available. You just have to check your area. ;)

I don't know enough about your boy situation to advise you but know this.... no "boy" is worth your sanity, peace of mind, or health.

Phaer

I am not sure, it was mentioned in another post, but I just wanted to let you know that when my hair gets longer, I would love to have you braid my hair. you should have your own business if you haven't already, and post your info on here.
Yes sweetie, you have to eat some veggies and some eggs and bananas and some healthy food. Is your stress school/family/boys/ all of the above... Don't let boys stress you out!

Also go to the drugstore and get some Flinstones vitamins. Get Flinstones Complete and take 2 each day. Another thing that will help is Emu oil applied on the bald area.

Where are you in Jersey? I'm in Jersey too. I can cornrow your hair for you if it is long enough PM me.

I'm sorry this is happening to you. Have you tried yoga or any other relaxation techniques? Do you pray?

Phaer

I definately agree with the others that you need to take care of the underlying causes, I had a shiny baby smooth bald spot in the back of my hair when I was 15, my mom mixed aloe vera with JBCO and massaged it into the spot daily, after 3 months it had grown back. It is for that reason that I will always use JBCO and Aloe vera, I may mix other things in it when I feel like being a 'mixtress' but any concoction I creat will have 40% JBCO 40% Aloe and 20% whatever else I decide to try.

cinnespice

Hello is me your looking for?
Sorry this happened to you.
When i had my 2 bald spots from perm damage i read on another forum that using cayenne pepper and mixing with an oil like coconut oil or water into a paste helps. I would leave it on for up to an hour. Along with daily massages with a little jbco, My hair grew back pretty fast. Its good that your going to the doctor to find out if its something more. But stress relief eating better and drinking water helps. It will grow back.:bighug:

Solitude

This happened to me twice in my life. Both stressful times (like my first year of law school). It's weird, though, because both times the spot filled in REALLY quickly.

Exercise, diet, sleep, and no chemicals on that area. Also, for me, certain types of birth control can contribute to hair loss. I don't care what any doctor says, hormones affect hair growth.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Try to control your stress (although I know it's sometimes hard to do). Take care of yourself. Sorry I don't have any hair advice to add, but wanted to drop in and give you love and support.

Moopeh

No I understand .It is okay you are not snarky...Im going to the doctor on Monday..The thing that is bothering me is that this not the first time this has happened to me...I am only a teenager!!!

I've struggled with anxiety problems for years. They started when I was 13, but only got proper care when I was 16. It's important to have an empathetic therapist who asks losts of questions.

I had a very stressful traumatic event happen in my life and I thought I was balding for a month. It was awful. My hair thinned out EVERYWHERE. It's slowly but surely thickening up again.

Being active really helps with stress. Hope you feel better soon!

africanqueen456

I've struggled with anxiety problems for years. They started when I was 13, but only got proper care when I was 16. It's important to have an empathetic therapist who asks losts of questions.

I had a very stressful traumatic event happen in my life and I thought I was balding for a month. It was awful. My hair thinned out EVERYWHERE. It's slowly but surely thickening up again.

Being active really helps with stress. Hope you feel better soon!

Thankx :)...You guys dont know how much this means to me!...:grin:

*CherryPie*

Girl, stress don't care if you're a teenager. It is equal opportunity.:yep:

I'm glad you're going to the doctor, but get your stress level down. I've had some pretty scary things happen to me because of stress, including a 2 YEAR absence of my menstrual periods!

Take care of yourself. Pray and do your best in school. That's the most any of us can do......

africanqueen456

^^^^thankx....She told me my thryroid and vitamin levels were okay. So I started taking vits and exercising...I also purchased Gingko Biloba because of fellow lhcfer

beana

I'm sorry this is happening top you OP :( My mom had the same thing happen to her and we're still trying to get her hair back on track. I wish i had more advice, but my mom has received cortisone shots a few times, and years ago they worked... Now she hasn't had much success with them.