New Maxiglide owners have you tried it? Mine gets too hot for me.

HoneyDew

I had it on 5 which is pretty low. Actually that is not hot enough to get my hair straight, but it is hot enough to make that burnt hair smell. :ohwell:

I DO NOT go for the fried, dyed and laid to the side smell in my hair when it comes to heat styling. :nono:

My FHI or H2pro never does that even when it is pretty hot enough to straighten my texlaxed hair.

This is ceramic right? I assumed so. Maybe I can try it again. :look: I tried it with both plates. It is just not working out the way I want. I ended up turning it off and pulling out my H2pro and finishing the job.

Even after, I still smelled that infamous too hot golden curling iron smell (yall know that smell) in my bathroom.

HoneyDew

I had mine on "5", too! :nono:

Too hot for my 4a hair......

Okay so I know it wasn't just me! Even my H2pro felt hotter to the touch on the outside, but did not give me that burnt smell.

I wanted to turn the Maxiglide up so that it could really straighten, but then it really started to smell.

This this iron ownership is going to be very interesting. :rolleyes:

Nita81

The same happened to me. I thought it was bc my hair was "dirty"(it was 3 days after I washed my hair). I'm going to try it on a lower setting after I wash my hair tomorrow and see if I get the same issue.

glamazon386

I haven't tried mine out yet but it could be the products in your hair that are burning. Are you putting anything on your hair before flat ironing or while you're flat ironing? Serums? Leave Ins? Heat Protectant?

clever

I haven't tried mine out yet but it could be the products in your hair that are burning. Are you putting anything on your hair before flat ironing or while you're flat ironing? Serums? Leave Ins? Heat Protectant?
For me serum + maxiglide is a big no-no.Anyway I converted the actual temps

setting 1 160...320
setting 2 165..329

setting 3 167..332.6
setting 4 169..336.2
setting 5 175..347
setting 6 181..357.8
setting 7 189..372.2
setting 8 191..375.8
setting 9 192..377.6
setting 10 195..383

Also,how long did you let it heat up?

HoneyDew

Well then this is not going to work for me. I have to have my leave-in and my serum and if I cannot use those with Maxiglide them I am not going to be able to use it. I don't have this problem with my highend irons at all. As long as my hair is dry, no burnt smells, smoke or anything like that - I mean NEVER.

HoneyDew

setting 1 160...320
setting 2 165..329

setting 3 167..332.6
setting 4 169..336.2
setting 5 175..347
setting 6 181..357.8
setting 7 189..372.2
setting 8 191..375.8
setting 9 192..377.6
setting 10 195..383

I let it heat up until the light stopped flashing. 5 - to 347 degrees? It should definitly straighten my hair without that smell. I use my other irons on 300-350 depending on how many weeks post I am.

LynnieB

do you think the smell is because it's a new appliance?

alot of electric appliances seem to have a weird smell during the first few uses.......that odor could definitely be transfered to your hair.

btw, i have the older version of the MG and i've never used anything above 1.5. maybe it's best to start on the lowest temp then turn up gradually until you get the straightness you're looking for.

not sure about these new ones though :nono:

HoneyDew

alot of electric appliances seem to have a weird smell during the first few uses.......that odor could definitely be transfered to your hair.

Good point LynnieB. There are too many ladies that use and love the Maxiglide, I just cannot believe that this is it.

But, this isn't the original. You never know but they could be manufactured differently and not as good as the other. :ohwell: You never know.

Last edited:

ricochet

btw, i have the older version of the MG and i've never used anything above 1.5. maybe it's best to start on the lowest temp then turn up gradually until you get the straightness you're looking for.

not sure about these new ones though :nono:

That's very interesting. I am pretty patient when it comes to "new and improved" and usually wait things out until I see reviews, the main reason I didn't purchase the new one when it came out. I have the old MG too and I have never had an issue like that and I never use mine passed the 3 on the dial. It's definitely a possibility. I hope it's nothing major. :)

Dposh167

WOW...it didn't fry my hair at all. and i'm thin/fine 4a/b relaxed.
I only used the 1st setting. and that heat was enuff to straighten my hair completely. (I used it after 2 day old curlformers so my hair was a freakin' mess).

However, it didn't give me any bounce the way i can get from my solia. It made everything bone stratight but a lil stiff.

LadyKaypnyc

I had it on 5 which is pretty low. Actually that is not hot enough to get my hair straight, but it is hot enough to make that burnt hair smell. :ohwell:

I DO NOT go for the fried, dyed and laid to the side smell in my hair when it comes to heat styling. :nono:

My FHI or H2pro never does that even when it is pretty hot enough to straighten my texlaxed hair.

This is ceramic right? I assumed so. Maybe I can try it again. :look: I tried it with both plates. It is just not working out the way I want. I ended up turning it off and pulling out my H2pro and finishing the job.

Even after, I still smelled that infamous too hot golden curling iron smell (yall know that smell) in my bathroom.

Same here...Even when I lowered the setting to 3, which is to low for m 4a hair, I still smelled burning hair...so I turned it off and hopped in the shower to resurrect my curls:sad:

morehairplease

That's very interesting. I am pretty patient when it comes to "new and improved" and usually wait things out until I see reviews, the main reason I didn't purchase the new one when it came out. I have the old MG too and I have never had an issue like that and I never use mine passed the 3 on the dial. It's definitely a possibility. I hope it's nothing major. :)

co-signing but it was so hard after seeing the presentation on hsn

deborah11

Actually, I have the old maxiglide and I would use it on level 4 and it always smelled like "burning hair," when I used it. My hair was never damaged however and I assumed that it was the product built up on the iron since I never cleaned it. I have the new maxiglide also but I have not used it so I can't speak about this. I will continue to use it as long as it does not cause hair damage and so far it has not.

deborah11

Where did you get the temperature conversions from as I always wondered how hot this iron got and what the individual numbers represented in terms of temperature. Thank u.

setting 1 160...320
setting 2 165..329

setting 3 167..332.6
setting 4 169..336.2
setting 5 175..347
setting 6 181..357.8
setting 7 189..372.2
setting 8 191..375.8
setting 9 192..377.6
setting 10 195..383

TrustMeLove

I just used mine on levels 2 through 6. I had no burning smell.

I did have to really pull throuhg the ends of my hair though, due to tangles. My hair is really fluffy and feels relaxer straight. Just like when I use to have a relaxer.

Nice & Wavy

I just used mine (Pics will follow in another thread) and I had it on 2. I didn't have any burnt smell at all.

Also, I didn't have any hair pulled out from my head at all while using it. I went really slow and didn't press down on the plates..it really got my hair smooth and silky. I love it and won't be sending it back at all!

I used Fantasia IC Olive Moisturizing Shine Serum as a leave in and it worked great!

Natakue

i actually had the opposite experience. i have both the old and new maxiglide. i rarely use the old one past 1. i used the new one last night and i had to use it on 5-7 to get my hair straight. i'd used it first on my mother's hair who has a similar hairtype, weeks ago, and the same thing happened. i wonder if mine is busted :ohwell: my hair is very light, silky and fluffy, but not as straight as my old maxi can get it.

it might also be my product and/or technique. i airdried and used the maxius products this time when usually i stick to redken heatglide and blowdry before flatironing.

i guess i'll just have to keep experimenting. :yep:

VeryBecoming

Devil's Avocado
Same here...Even when I lowered the setting to 3, which is to low for m 4a hair, I still smelled burning hair...so I turned it off and hopped in the shower to resurrect my curls:sad:

Ditto all of this.

I started at 5 and did one section but the smell freaked me out. I thought maybe it was because I didn't use distilled water and it's a new iron. My FHI doesn't do this though no matter how high the setting is.

HoneyDew

Ditto all of this.

I started at 5 and did one section but the smell freaked me out. I thought maybe it was because I didn't use distilled water and it's a new iron. My FHI doesn't do this though no matter how high the setting is.

Exactly. I think this is what I am used to when ironing.

BrownSkin2

I've used my new maxi glide twice on 5/6 after a rollerset under the dryer, and I keep getting the burnt hair smell. I finished my whole head and it smelt burnt afterwards, but my curls bounced back after washing. I'm thinking it could be the products that was on my hair that made that smell, and not my hair burning. :perplexed

ETA: I used their products. My hair turned out fluffy. I'm scared to go higher than 6.

Last edited:

GeorginaSparks

Ditto all of this.

Me too..or my Chi.....:nono:

lovinmylocs

I'm scared to use mine - but I don't want that burnt hair smell. I wonder if I should return it...has anyone returned theirs?