Never, ever, EVER again!!

BlackBruin

Hi, I am new to this board, but I've been a guest for a while now. I am posting because my hair has gone through some serious damage lately. First, I tried to press my hair two weeks ago. That was a complete disaster. Then, the next week I went to get my hair pressed in the shop. As I watched my precious locks falling to the ground I swore, never, ever, ever would I press my hair again. (Okay, at least for a few months). But my problem is, I have been transitioning for about two years, so half of my hair is relaxed, and the other half is natural 4A hair. Please give me some styling and product tips. I am absolutely desperate. Thanks!

calbear

I just wanted to welcome you to the board, I'm not transitioning so I don't wanna give you advice and not know what I am talking about. I'll leave that to the experts but welcome and good luck.

ubavka123

I hope that your relaxed hair was not pressed along with the natural hair. That is a big no-no. I cannot help you with styling options, but when I went without a relaxer for almost a year, I had my new growth pressed without damage to the relaxed hair. The hot comb cannot touch your relaxed hair (can you say sizzle and snap?!). Have you had any luck with just flat ironing your hair or getting one of these much-raved about dominican blow-outs? I hope that you can get some more advice, but I just wanted to try to help a little.

jainygirl

Maestradiva transitioned i believe 3 years and Hairlove is almost 2 years or beyond that i think. You should try doing a post with their names in the title or maybe pm'ing them to see if they can help you out. Also there are others that i'm sure are doing long-term transitions online right now
happy hair growing -- jainygirl

bettydavis

I transistioned for a year wearing braids. If you take care of them and continue caring for your hair underneath, it can make transistioning alot easier.

stiletto

i was thinking of pressing my new growth too... does the temp. of the pressing comb matter? i would think that a warm (not hot) comb wouldn't be too hard on your hair. i also planned to only do the new growth and not the relaxed hair. who else has successfully done this?

TigerLily

Welcome!

I transistioned for a year. I wore low maintenance styles like twist-outs, braid-outs and rollersets. I tried not to use heat as much as possible. I really like Fantasia IC liquid mousse setting lotion and the ice pomade gel. ORS makes pretty good products, too.

Make sure that you are shampooing and deep conditioning your hair at least once a week, esp. if your hair is on the dry side. Try and use shampoos/conditioners that are specially formulated for dry hair. Suave Naturals, Neutrogena triple moisture and Pantene shampoos/conditioners are good and inexpensive. Some good salon products are Kenra, Aveda and Nexxus.

HTH!!

Gaea

Please don't be offended, but I have to ask.... why are you still transitioning?

Not saying that you should stop or anything.

You shouldd have at least close to 12 inches of natural hair, why do you keep the relaxed part?

patience

Gaea, GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!! The hair that was falling was probably your relaxed ends. You're going to have to cut them off eventually sweetie. Two years is a LONG time to be transitioning...what exactly are you waiting for, as far as cutting the relaxed ends off goes?