Need more protein!!

natasha

do you find yourself using it more frequently the farther you are post relaxer. I am almost 8 weeks post and I am going to start using an intense protein treatment weekly because of hair breakage. Moisture is currently not a problem but my hair needs more protein the farther I am from a relaxer.

Does anyone else have this issue. How often do you use protein and which type light vs heavy and do you have to change the frequency the farther you are post.

All responses are appreciated!!

I find myself wanting to use more, but it does not really help when I simply need to just get a touchup. I just can't stretch, and I think I am giving up on trying because of the breakage that I get.

I USED A HEAVY DUTY AT 9 WEEK'S, BIG MISTAKE! IT JUST MADE MY N/G XTRA HARD AND DRY. EVEN AFTER A DEEP MOISTURIZING CON, IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE TO UNTANGLE, WHICH LED TO MORE SHEDDING AND BREAKING. I F ANYTHING, A LIGHT PROTEIN CON LIKE 5IN1 IS BETTER WHEN THERE IS SO MUCH N/G. IT WAS EVEN WORSE A WEEK LATER WHEN I HAD A RELAXER. ALL THAT TANGLED, DRY , HARD HAIR CAME OUT DUE TO THE DIFFICULTY OF APPLYING THE RELAXER. FROM NOW ON, I WILL ONLY DO A HEAVY PROTEIN A FEW DAY'S AFTER A FRESH RELAXER, MAYBE AGAIN AROUND 4 OR 5 WEEK'S.

I was just thinking the same thing. I am about 6 weeks post and I washed just two days ago. I used a little Aubreys protein conditioner for 3 mins and then used queen helene cholesterol for another 20mins. I am really itching to wash it again and do a another protein treatment but I am going to try to wait till friday and do a henna treatment.

I am heavy handed with the protein anyway, but I do an aphogee treatment towards the end of my stretch to help manage the breakage and get the hair ready for the relaxer. Otherwise, all of my staple deep conditioners are light protein conditioners, and I use them 1-3 times a week depending on what's going on.

HoneyDew said:
I find myself wanting to use more, but it does not really help when I simply need to just get a touchup. I just can't stretch, and I think I am giving up on trying because of the breakage that I get.

I'm trying to stretch for 10 weeks 12 if I'm lucky and so far the treatments work. I use almost no maniplation after 6 weeks and that seems to help.

natasha said:
I'm trying to stretch for 10 weeks 12 if I'm lucky and so far the treatments work. I use almost no maniplation after 6 weeks and that seems to help.

That is the problem I have. I wear my hair down and straight everyday. One day I will get used to to way I look with my hair up, but I prefer it down. I guess I have to pick my battle with this one. :look:

HoneyDew said:
That is the problem I have. I wear my hair down and straight everyday. One day I will get used to to way I look with my hair up, but I prefer it down. I guess I have to pick my battle with this one. :look:

I just read somewhere today that a scarf around your neck can give you the illusion of long hair. Earrings can also help you balance out your look. For me anyway, earrings make or break my whole look. I could have perfect make-up, outfit, and hair, and the wrong earrings and I will look like a ghoul. Anyway, I'm just trying to be helpful. There's nothing wrong with wear your hair down, you can still reach your goals.

CAPlush said:
I just read somewhere today that a scarf around your neck can give you the illusion of long hair. Earrings can also help you balance out your look. For me anyway, earrings make or break my whole look. I could have perfect make-up, outfit, and hair, and the wrong earrings and I will look like a ghoul. Anyway, I'm just trying to be helpful. There's nothing wrong with wear your hair down, you can still reach your goals.

Girl, I am still cute with my hair up ;) Okay - Let me keep it real - I just like my hair down. :)

Actually it is at a good length for it. I know as it grows I am going to HAVE to put it up if I want to retain as much as possible, but for now, I am going to enjoy the swinging, bouncing and shine that I work so hard for. :D

But, I know stretching would be easier if I wore it up.

natasha said:
do you find yourself using it more frequently the farther you are post relaxer. I am almost 8 weeks post and I am going to start using an intense protein treatment weekly because of hair breakage. Moisture is currently not a problem but my hair needs more protein the farther I am from a relaxer.

Does anyone else have this issue. How often do you use protein and which type light vs heavy and do you have to change the frequency the farther you are post.

All responses are appreciated!!

You know I found the same thing happening to me. Since joining the boards everyone states "Watch your moisture" so of course I managed to overmoisturize my hair.:lol: To correct this, I did a strong protein treatment 2 weeks ago (Nexxus emergenceee) and my hair felt beautiful. I am 12 weeks post and after that treatment my new growth was non existent, no kinks nothing. I did follow that treatment with an hour moisturizing deep condition (nexxus humectress).
So since I got soft manageable hair the first attempt I did another protein treatment again this past weekend. I used Pantene's breakage control (which I think is a lighter protein) and followed that with AO Honeysuckle Rose. New growth and hair felt great again. So I am beginning to think the protein really helps me because when I was using mostly moisture.. i had to moisturize daily. Now I can alternate days and I do not see any signs of increasing breakage.

I try to use a heavy protein before my relaxer but just like the other poster said, at that time, my hair is a TANGLED BO - WEAVE MESS ! All that new growth likes to wrap around itself :mad: ...so when i add the heavy protein, its an EXTRA HOT TANGLED B-WEAVE MESS ! :lachen: :mad:

ANYBODY KNOW OF AN EXCELLENT PROTEIN THAT STRENGTHENS BUT HELPS DETANGLE ? I dont mean strengthens cause the jar says it, i mean your hair is harder to snap after using it...but the cond has slip , know of any products like that ?

Plus, what do you use to soften your hair after aphogee ? :eek:

Back