Need help with the back of my hair

septemberbaby

Hi Ladies,

I am wondering why the back lower middle section of my hair is so much shorter than the top and sides. The top and sides of my hair seem to be thriving and getting longer. However, I'm experiencing breakage in my nape area from wearing buns everyday. So, bun wearers: how do you prevent breakage in the back of your hair while wearing buns?

How can I fix these problem areas?

What am I doing wrong with the back of my hair?

Will the back lower middle section ever catch up to the sides and top?

Thanks for all suggestions!

klb120475

I went through the same thing from wearing buns, so I've switched over to rollersets. Hopefully this will help grow out the back were I have obvious breakage. That area is about 2 inches shorter than the rest of my hair...:perplexed

septemberbaby

Congrats KBL on graduating. :)

I think rollersets might help. The only time I remember this section of my hair thriving was when I wore braids/weaves.
I was with a friend of mine yesterday who has shoulder length hair. Her hair is healthy but it never grows past her shoulders. I was especially checking out the back of her hair to figure out how it's the same length as the rest of her tresses. When you mentioned rollersets, I remembered that she wears rollersets 90% of the time! ;) Thanks.

JazzyDez

ITA with the rollersets.....

Also,

This area used to be really troublesome for me as well. Thankfully its growing back and its the longest its been in a loooong time.

I think that I was under the impression that that area was extremely coarse and I would always slather that part with relaxer and leave it on the longest......I have come to realize the difference between dryness and naps! Turns out the area was just severely dry and therefore breaking, multiplied by overprocessing = 1 inch jacked up nape. :eek: :perplexed

Now....I always make sure to moisturize my nape well and I am careful about the clothes I have rubbing on my hair, and I am careful not to wear tight ponytails or tie the scarfs so tight at night. I've gained about two more full inches back there where the hair was only about an inch to begin with.

BillyJay

I am thinking because you may bun in the same spot everyday it gets the most friction. Try to heavily moisturize that area. Keep your bun loose and alternate where you place your pony. It may make the world of difference.

C

chica_canella

I was having the same problem and I think that it may have been something you have unknowingly did to this part of your hair in the past. And just taking a guess but is this the kinkiest part of your hair becuase that is also why I have so much problems with it.

Only thing I can think of is to try to be more careful with bunning or somehow nurse it back to health with deep conditioning.:)