Need help with putting in my own kinky twists. Any suggestions???

Colliecole

After my recent nightmare w/ extensions, I want to put kinky twist in my OWN hair. Please share your tips, instructions, comments, suggestions, or anything on this. I'm not sure were to start but I'm determined :) ...

foxxymami

I loooooove twists because they fit my look better than braids. The best thing that I like about them is that they hang much much lighter than braids :yep:

My hair is natural so before I put my twists in, I wash and conditioned then airdried in a few bantu like knots. In the morning I was able to easily work with each section as I put in the twists. I'm sure others use various methods, but the way I do my twists is with the "braid" start....meaning the first 3/4" is braided then from there, I twists all the way down to the bottom. To try and eliminate to many fly away looking hair, I use ORS Loc & Twist gel.

cocosweet

When I twist my hair I work from back to front. After washing, conditioning, and detangling, I grab a section not exceeding an inch wide. Divide that section into two. Twist all the way down to the ends. I make sure my tension while twisting is taut but not tight, because once you let go of the twist it will loosen up. I like to work on damp hair, so I keep a spray bottle nearby.

As I move up toward the front of my head, I start parting sections in the direction I want my hair to fall. ORS Loc & Twist gel is good to use to fight frizzies and it doesn't leave your hair crunchy.

Colliecole

^^^Thanks Ladies! Someone recommended the Marley brand of hair. What brand have you used? Do you soak the hair in the AVC first (or something simular before putting it in)?

ITA on the ORS Loc and Twist Gel, I used to lock my hair with this stuff when I had dread locks and they would look really good afterward....Aww I miss my locks...

cocosweet

^^^Thanks Ladies! Someone recommended the Marley brand of hair. What brand have you used? Do you soak the hair in the AVC first (or something simular before putting it in)?

ITA on the ORS Loc and Twist Gel, I used to lock my hair with this stuff when I had dread locks and they would look really good afterward....Aww I miss my locks...
The last time I put extensions in, I used the Marley hair. Its a nice match for my natural hair and isn't heavy. Beware of cheapo kanekalon. That stuff will make your hands feel raw after a while. I didn't do the ACV first though.

Tamrin

unapologetic
You can ACV the hair prior to braiding or you can after if you want. I do both. Marley brand has been good to me. It matches my texture. ITA with Bmore not dry at all.

Colliecole

Closer and Coco, THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for the visuals. These are EXACTLY what I need to get started!!:grin::grin: I probably won't do anything to ma hair for a month or so because I gotta baby it back to health, but I will definitely be soaking up all this knowledge until then.