need help - self-applying semi-perm color...!

annieb

I'm sure this has been posted on but what is the best way to apply semi-perm color without someone to help me? I bought Adore (Copper Brown) and Colourshines red-ality and I'm going to apply one of them today. Should I just shampoo the color in and use a lot or should I be sparing about it and part my hair into sections. I just don't want to miss a spot. I remember when I tried to self-relax, I would part my hair into sections but something would always get missed or under-relaxed no matter how careful I was. It'll be so much easier just to pour it on my head but 1) I don't want to make a mess and 2) I don't want to "over-color" my hair in some spots and forget the back. I have to take some old rinses out which I will with metalex. Should I condition my hair before putting color in?

Lucia

Hi annieb,
I'm new to this semi-perm color as well, but you should PM the guru, Tracy about this.
hth

C

Cami

When I apply my semi-permanent color, I part my hair in 4 sections (ear to ear, hairline to nape). Within those sections, I make smaller parts and start putting the color throughout my hair. I leave it on with a plastic cap and sit under the dryer for about 25-30 mins and rinse out. I always condition my hair before applying the semi-permanent color. The reason is because I want the color to last as long as possible. If I were to apply the color first then condition it, it will take out most of the color sooner than it needs to be. I can't wait for my next touchup because I'll be putting a dark brown rinse on my hair to cover my streaks. Keep us posted on how it turns out!

Kamilla16

HI
I am also thinking about getting a semi-perm color, but I dunno when or what color I should get? What colors look good on brown skin tones?

annieb

Well, I'm done and a bit disappointed with the results but perhaps it'll get brighter as I wash it out which is what happened before (but then that time, I got it done at a salon). I did condition before coloring but still the color deposited more in those dry areas (such as the ends).. so I've got fiery ends and the roots have a dull red glow. When I look at the back, it looks like highlights. I was just afraid of saturating my scalp with this stuff so I guess my roots didn't get it too well. Is there a way to touch up some spots, or should I just wait until my next trip to the salon to get the whole thing done all over again? I STILL haven't hit that coppery red I'm looking for (my hair came out more of a mahogany red with the red-ality) but I'm having fun experimenting.

C

Cami

Have you tried jazzings Red Hot or Cherry Cola? Those two alone should give you the red that you're looking for. I don't know why it didn't get distributed evenly, do you have any permanent color in your hair now? I used to love the red rinses, but I can't wear it now since I"m in the military. I'm going to use a dark brown rinse when I get my touchup in a few weeks. If I were you, I would just wait and let a professional do the job since it didn't turn out right, or either wait a week or so and do it again. If you want optimal results, a hair stylist should get the job done.