Need Advice ASAP: Braid removal and Excessive build up

prettygrl

I am taking my braids down right now- and losing quite a bit of hair b/c there is this "gunk"- product build up at the base of the braid. I went to the Crown and Glory website and in order to get the info about removing braids with excessive buildup at the base of the braid - you have to buy the tape!
I need advice now. Does anyone know of a good techniqe or her technique for removing braids when there is this gunk at the base, to avoid hair loss?

TIA. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

lvmyhur

I used a moisturizing lotion on each braid (Surge lotion motion). Just dab a little at the base of each braid and gently work it loose. You will loose some hair from shedding.

prettykinks

I usually wash my braids during the time I have them in. That helps. If you don't keep them clean buildup happens. I suggest you go buy some spray to help ease the removal ie; better braids un-braid. I used to use that all the time before I started washing my braids. I still use it if I have micros. HTH

prettygrl

I have better braids un-braid spray and it's not working. I also washed my hair regualaly when I had braids. I think I overdid the surge and braid spray. When I try to loosen the base of the braid ---it's almost like glue- stuck together...
Any other suggestions?

Ayeshia

Well if you happen to get braids again, it would be a good idea not to apply any spray or grease at the base of your braids, just moisturize the length of the braid. If you find that you do have to grase your scalp, try to use as little as possible.

AJamericanDiva

[ QUOTE ]
prettygrl said:
I have better braids un-braid spray and it's not working. I also washed my hair regualaly when I had braids. I think I overdid the surge and braid spray. When I try to loosen the base of the braid ---it's almost like glue- stuck together...
Any other suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Saturate it with the UnBraid spray and then roll it/work it back and forth between your fingers, then using a comb that is not too fine start combing from the ends gently, working our way up a little at a time and gently ease out the gunk. Some of the hair is going to be shed hair. Matter of fact, the removal tape probably is going to tell you the same thing. Also, first and foremost, have patience!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sweetyb

This happened to my lil sis the last time I took out her individuals. For each braid I took out, I had to use my nails to grasp both sides of the "clump" using both hands, and I had to gently wiggle the clump. Sometimes it didn't even budge, you just have to take your time. As you wiggle it, it'll slowly come apart. Then I had to wiggle each section of that section to make sure that all the hair was loose. I got faster as I did this, so it couldn't have taken me more than half an hour at best.

carletta

I usually spray a excessive amout of sta-sof-fro on my hair the night before or a HEAVY amount of coconut oil on the base and shaft of the braid let that soak in for about 2 hour then take them down w/ great ease.