Need a temporary/shampoo straightening aid for 3ab hair.

Mizani_Mrs

hi ladies! I have a niece that is 4years old and she has maybe a 2c 3b hair (im guessing). She has very long soft curly shiny hair, that curls up into perfect little curls. and no naps. I guess because her father has indian in her blood, so it's a mix of black and indian hair. anywhoo....i straightened her hair the other day (with a flat-iron) it was really really cute! it was almost brastrap length on her. And she LOVED IT! however, the style only lasted like 2 days because it frizzed up afterwards. and she cried cause she wanted her hair to be straight again. so do any of you ladies know of any products that would help with curlyheads straightening their hair? (shampoos, conditioners, styling gels?) I just purchased John Frieda 'wind down' , and i thought i'd ask if any one knew of anything else....

MizaniMami

You can try something with a lot of silicone that helps relax the hair. But she's 4? I wouldn't be trying to straighten it too much. What's wrong with pigtails or braids?

ThickHair

Flat ironing a 4 year old. Boy, is she starting young. Here is my opinion even though you didn't ask. At this stage of the game, she should be taught how nice (I am not talking about texture or any of that good hair crap) her hair is. Already she is upset because it was no longer straight, geez, her mind should really be on other things not hair.

To answer your question, I don't think there is anything that you could use to keep her hair straight once it is flat ironed.

Mizani_Mrs

WHOA! ....I wasn't prepared for the gnashing of tongue. :lachen: It's okay, I understand what yall are saying. But don't jump to conclusions....she hasn't had her hair straightened before...last week was the VERY FIRST TIME. She always always always wears plaits or ponytails. I did it out of curiousity to see how long it was, and also to dust her ends. And as it turns out..she loved it and she was just swinging her hair around (acting like a little girl) and I do plan to continue to flat-iron it every now and then, maybe once every 2months. And let's face it, all kids like their hair down every once in a while. I remember I did. She is a little girl, just as she likes to play dress-up, she likes for someone to do or play in her hair. Or like my other 5yr old niece, she cries if her mom doesn't put her on a skirt or something pink and pretty.
So I'm not teaching her anything unsafe, I want her to be aware of her hair. And I do plan to teach them how to care for their hair at an early age. I want them to know their textures now and the best way to handle it, as opposed to being lost like me and figuring this out at the age of 29. You know! I'm just going to allow her to have her hair out every now n then... that's all. But thanks, i appreciate the advice.

And i'm going to try the KMS. thanks!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
How does her hair look when she wears it down without flat ironing it? I bet her 2c/3b hair looks pretty laid down without flat-ironing, all wavy and curly I assume...

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
She can wear her hair down and curly also instead of flat ironing. My mom used to let me wear my hair out Diana Ross style on occasion, lol.....and I was thrilled with that. I was just happy to have my hair out for a change. As far as a shampoo or straightening aid I'd love to recommend something or be of some help but I don't think there is any such product. I've tried all the relaxing balms, serums, and creme's out there and they did nothing.

RainbowCurls

Why can't she wear her hair out unstraightened? If it's 2c/3b I imagine it would swing very nicely, just like when you straightened it.
You say she always wears plaits or ponytails. Maybe she thinks she can only wear her hair out if it is straight, which is NOT good for her to be thinking at that age.

caligirl

I just tried Matrix Sleek Look Shampoo and Conditioner. All I did was braid my hair and airdry and it came out like I pressed it. I'm sure it would make the hair very silky if you flat iron it. The shampoo and conditioner both have cones so maybe this will help the hair stay straighter for longer.

MeccaMedinah

Mizani_Mrs said:
hi ladies! I have a niece that is 4years old and she has maybe a 2c 3b hair (im guessing). She has very long soft curly shiny hair, that curls up into perfect little curls. and no naps. I guess because her father has indian in her blood, so it's a mix of black and indian hair. anywhoo....i straightened her hair the other day (with a flat-iron) it was really really cute! it was almost brastrap length on her. And she LOVED IT! however, the style only lasted like 2 days because it frizzed up afterwards. and she cried cause she wanted her hair to be straight again. so do any of you ladies know of any products that would help with curlyheads straightening their hair? (shampoos, conditioners, styling gels?) I just purchased John Frieda 'wind down' , and i thought i'd ask if any one knew of anything else....

:lachen:I see why this thread got 1 star! WTH?

erin558

sprungonhairboards said:
I can't belive you actually said she has Indian in her blood :perplexed :lol:

I mean, I'm sure she does but... man that sounded kinda...nevermind :look:

I was thinking the same thing!!

imani97

I agree. Please teach her to appreciate her hair in its natural state. Shoot, when I have a daughter, I'm going to try hard not to relax her hair. I wish that I hadn't been so dependant upon relaxers for most of my life.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
hopeful said:
It breaks my heart that she cried for straight hair.:(

Yeah, me too.
So now she knows how long it is, let her straighten at special occasions and keep the plaits and ponytails for everyday. A flat iron would straighten very well if her hair is 3a/b. No shampoo will straighten her hair as far as I know. Her hair will be destroyed and break off if she starts flat ironing on a regular basis.

If her hair indeed is 3a/b it would also hang down flat easily with a little gel or mousse if you don't comb it after washing and conditioning. Just comb it in the shower with conditioner still in it, rinse and then add some product. Voilá, shiny waves and curls that fall down her back! :)

Mizani_Mrs

Yes her hair looks very beautiful when she has it out and it's just curly. but her mom doesn't want her hair out all the time, so she wear it braided mosly. Also, it shrinks up, sooooo if she were to wear it out curly, then she'd need a curl relaxing product as well...i suppose.

Mizani_Mrs

MeccaMedinah said:
:lachen:I see why this thread got 1 star! WTH?

WTH? I'm curious to know why you stepped in this thread if you weren't interested in it. Nevermind about the star, who gives a @#$@. All i wanted to know is if anyone has any product recommendations. Dang, why it even gotta be this serious???

Mizani_Mrs

sprungonhairboards said:
I can't belive you actually said she has Indian in her blood :perplexed :lol:

I mean, I'm sure she does but... man that sounded kinda...nevermind :look:

Sorry if i offended you. I said it because i do not know how to use the hair types, so her grandmother is indian and it'll be easy to picture a person with a texture of hair with indian/black roots....... nevermind......

MeccaMedinah

Mizani_Mrs said:
WTH? I'm curious to know why you stepped in this thread if you weren't interested in it. Nevermind about the star, who gives a @#$@. All i wanted to know is if anyone has any product recommendations. Dang, why it even gotta be this serious???

Girl, get you panties out of a bunch. You're the one that started a thread on a public forum with the uber-ignorant "she got indian in her family" line. So deal with my opinion that this thread totally deserved one star. I didn't rate it, but it was justified.
With all of this healthy hair info, why wonder how to make a baby's (4 year old) hair straight? You've been around here long enough to know that no one wants to her that "indian" mess or that you want to BLOW FRY a little kid's hair.
It really isn't that serious. :p

CarLiTa

:eek:IMO, you wanting to flat iron that baby's hair is just as scary as the people who RELAX their little baby's hair.

Please don't flat iron her hair just for the sake of seeing length or to make her happy. At age 4, what does she know? :confused: Probably doesn't have a conscience yet, so of course, she sees straight hair and she wants it, but starting her off so young is just BOUND to create disaster:ohwell:

At her age, who cares how she wears her natural hair? It shouldn't even be an option to do anything to alter the stage of it. I personally think that kids at this age ONLY deserve shampoo, conditioner, oil... no expensive products FILLED with chemicals that she doesn't need to be exposed to now, no flat-ironing, blowdrying, salon visits, NOTHING :nono:

I think like the other ladies said, teach her to appreciate her hair just the way it is, or go to Walgreens get products for kids and use some type of relatively good product to loosen the curl a little, but nothing chemical.

Also, I can't imagine what a "special occasion" would be for a 4 year old. The only one I can think of is her birthday :lol:

camellia

I don't know of a shampoo that straightens the hair, but if she is a 3a/b her hair would be gorgeous left curly. Just a dab of leave in conditoner and a little natural oil or butter to seal in the moisture.

Irresistible

I dont know of any products.

This in one of those threads you check in on and end up wanting to run out of. LOL

Mazani_Mrs.......I think most are saying (Thats, If I may speak for anyone at all) that this would be a very good/critical time to teach her to love her natural hair. The Indian in her statement.....well thats a 'charged' type of wording , its percieved as eluding to the "good hair, bad hair" mentality. This is all so charged because so many are trying so hard to get away from that way of thinking and stay away.

Now If I may say so myself, I think starting her at 4 with pressing and only loving her hair straight, can have many possible damaging effects, to more than just her hair, but also her self image concerning her hair. Just sow seeds in her that her hair is beautiful in its natural state..........thats mostly what anyone here would hope to see.

Trust me at 4 , it hasnt even really begun yet. Right now she is just wanting something that makes her feel pretty or different.....with limited peer pressure at this age......a parent and family member has all the power to make you feel and know her hair is beautiful naturally!!!! These seeds sown now....will be the results of the outcomes of harder times ahead when she struggles with self image and peer pressure and learning her hair on her own. Flat Ironing at 4 could teach her , only straight is beautiful. So many are fighting that mentality.....thats why you got the responses you did. Better to hear this here , than somewhere down the line right?

just adding my 2cents

truly only hope it helps some. :kiss:

Last edited:

NOLAgyrl

Mizani_Mrs, i understand what you were asking... very simply u were asking for a product. My daughter has 3b/c hair and i had it flat ironed for her dance recital last year, at age 4. I too wanted to see how long it was and it is mid back and she has no indian in her family. But, I too ran into fizzy hair (by days end-not 2 days later). She will be a flower girl in a wedding in May and I again plan on getting it flat ironed, at age 5. I believe once a year will not hurt her hair, because I take care of her hair, very well. BTW- she loves her curls and she just enjoyed seeing it long no different from what all of us here on this forum are trying to achieve. I opened this thread hoping to find an answer for my daughter's fizz.....well anyway

aqualung

The solution is Paul Mitchell Super Skinny serum.

She used to hate it when my mom spent all afternoon straightening my hair and then I'd go play with the dog and it'd frizz up immediately.

caligirl

aqualung said:
The solution is Paul Mitchell Super Skinny serum.

She used to hate it when my mom spent all afternoon straightening my hair and then I'd go play with the dog and it'd frizz up immediately.

How is the Paul Mitchell Super Skinny shampoo/conditioner?

BerrySweet

Irresistible said:
I dont know of any products.

This in one of those threads you check in on and end up wanting to run out of. LOL

Mazani_Mrs.......I think most are saying (Thats, If I may speak for anyone at all) that this would be a very good/critical time to teach her to love her natural hair. The Indian in her statement.....well thats a 'charged' type of wording , its percieved as eluding to the "good hair, bad hair" mentality. This is all so charged because so many are trying so hard to get away from that way of thinking and stay away.

Now If I may say so myself, I think starting her at 4 with pressing and only loving her hair straight, can have many possible damaging effects, to more than just her hair, but also her self image concerning her hair. Just sow seeds in her that her hair is beautiful in its natural state..........thats mostly what anyone here would hope to see.

Trust me at 4 , it hasnt even really begun yet. Right now she is just wanting something that makes her feel pretty or different.....with limited peer pressure at this age......a parent and family member has all the power to make you feel and know her hair is beautiful naturally!!!! These seeds sown now....will be the results of the outcomes of harder times ahead when she struggles with self image and peer pressure and learning her hair on her own. Flat Ironing at 4 could teach her , only straight is beautiful. So many are fighting that mentality.....thats why you got the responses you did. Better to hear this here , than somewhere down the line right?

just adding my 2cents

truly only hope it helps some. :kiss:
You said this very well!