Durag VS Bonnet VS Pillowcases

Candy_C

Which of these sleeping "arrangements" have you found to keep your hair in better condition?

I have switched my durag to a satin bonnet as the thicker my hair gets the harder it is to "stuff" my hair in. This bonnet is gonna take a while to get used to! It stays PUT, but my hair feels so free.. its weird! i also think my durag was causing a bit of tension - because of the style i wear to bed...

So anyway, which do you prefer/recommend?

A Durag
Bonnet
or have you got those luxury satin/silk pillowcases??

And what arrangement do you put you hair in under these?

edited to add: wow someone has rated it 5 stars already and no1 has replied??? i'm confused ! as shaggy would say "it wasn't me!"

Last edited:
I have all three in satin or silk (www.tenderheaded.com) and I use each differently depending on how I'm wearing my hair.

durag - for drying hair/new growth to lay flat and for straighter styles . .
bonnet - not trying anything special-hair in bun, rollers, pincurls, etc. to sleep
pillowcases - all the time as backup, also for special occasions w/hubby and want hair loose and free . . .

Neroli said:
I have all three in satin or silk (www.tenderheaded.com) and I use each differently depending on how I'm wearing my hair.

durag - for drying hair/new growth to lay flat and for straighter styles . .
bonnet - not trying anything special-hair in bun, rollers, pincurls, etc. to sleep
pillowcases - all the time as backup, also for special occasions w/hubby and want hair loose and free . . .

thanks for the site!

is silk anymore different then satin on your hair?

I PURCHASED FROM THIS SITE AS WELL, SCARF AND BONNET, BOTH SILK. THIS BONNET WAS THE ONLY ONE I HAVE EVER USED THAT STAYED ON MY HEAD THE ENTIRE NIGHT, BUT I FOUND IT TO BE THE CAUSE OF MY EDGES WEAKENING. I USE THE SCARF NOW EXCLUSIVELY AND I LUV IT.

Candy_C said:
thanks for the site!

is silk anymore different then satin on your hair?

You're welcome! Either one works for me because both are super smooth fabric with seamless texture so won't snag and "catch" hairs (like cotton or wool).

i use the baggie method nitely on my whole head. So i oil my scalp/ends then i apply a thin plastic cap and then i put a satin scarf on and i sleep with satin pillowcases at all times cause sometimes the scarf comes off and the plastic cap rides up- but with the satin pillowcases- i'm still protected.

I've been using all three at the same time, also! :yep: I alternate w/ the satin scarf and du-rag. I have to flip my hair up and around my head b/c it's too long to fit under them. I love having the triple protection! :D

i find that not wearing anything on my head at night works the best! i wore my hair out last night for the first time and my hair looks great. plus, everytime i wear a satin scarf or bonnet, my natural hair gets smashed down and dry.

I like that just sleeping on satin pillowcase prevent my hair from getting flat.

I did order the Lucy Satin coverup from Maverick Designs (thanks Dee). I can't wait to get it to see how that works out.

I have a bonnet, but my hair always comes out flat or sticking out/up in some places.

I grew up sleeping with a headtie, but now my husband ends up wearing my scarf on his arm or feet by the morning. I just cant keep it on. Sometimes i try to get up and put it back on, but that sleep is too sweet :lol:

I believe I am going to have to try a bonnet AND a silk/satin pillow case.
Thanks for the link!

I have a satin pillowcase. I wear a satin scarf when I'm wearing a loose bun to bed. If I am wearing my hair straight I tie my hair down with the satin scarf and then put on the satin bonnet. If I am wearing a rollerset/flexirod set then I just wear the bonnet.

My sister and I swear by do-rags. It the only head covering that holds up to our tossing and turning. You need the extra long strings.

I have used silk pillowcases, but I move around and my hubby just grabs whatever pillow is available which is my silk one and I am stuck with the cotton one. And when I've gotten a blowout or wrap, I don't want the hair to slide all over. I wake up with dents in the hair.

The difference between these. Mostly guys where du rags to keep there hair cuts fresh, some women love bonnets because it keeps your hairstyle fresh without wrapping & a silk pillowcase can help keep your hairstyle in place without you even having to wrap it, because of it's amino acid complex.

Back