NATURALS: What's your main method of straightening?

Which is your method of straightening?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I blowdry my hair in sections before flat ironing. I have tried rollersetting, braids, and curlformers before straightening but my hair tangles on itself while it dries (that and my technique is poor with rollersetting).

Other.

I've done it all though; rollerset then flatiron, air dry til damp then blow dry then flatiron, air dry til damp then blow dry then hot comb, blow dry wet hair then hot comb but gotta say that I'm happiest and get the best results from either air drying til damp then blow dry or blow dry wet (not dripping) hair then hot comb.

Hot combing has made me very, very happy.

BTW, I do a heavy protein deep conditioning as a prep, use a blow dry heat protectant spray product, ultra sheen satin press then use an electric hot comb.

When my hair gets long enough, I'll try your method.:yep:

I pretty much just stretch out my hair. Since I have been using Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm conditioner my hair is totally new! After I wash I do twists then make bantu knots. When my hair dries the only curl is from the knots then after a day of a bun my hair is pretty straight. Right now I have decided heat gives me splits! I think I will try some methods mentioned here maybe using very low heat and doing a quick pass if I want a little straighter. Since I have fine hair I rather shave some body left rather then have my hair ultra straight.

I airdry in Curlformers to stretch my hair before flatironing. In the past I airdried in plaits. I don't blow dry because I try to limit my hair's exposure to heat to just the flat ironing.

^This. I just recently realized how well this works because the Curlformers get the hair so straight at the roots plus it does an excellent job in stretching the hair. I plan to use this method for straightening for now on!:yep:

I prepoo with coconut oil, DC with a protein conditioner, seal washed hair with coconut oil, airdry, then flat iron dry hair with my maxiglide, or flat iron 90% dry hair with my wet to dry flat iron. Whatever way I can "steam" my hair straight, I do it. I don't blowdry because my hair is impossibly fine, and I try to minimize heat. Plus, my results are way more silky and long lasting with the airdry method.

Now ya'll got me wanting to try this curlformer method! I have a drawer full of them, so I just might :)

After washing my hair, I use an Andis blowdryer with brush attachment using Mane N Tail Conditioner on my hair. Then I use a CHI flatiron to straighten using Ultra Sheen Satin Creme Pres on my hair.

i blow dry then flat iron i wish i could air dry but my hair takes forever to dry and when it does it's always tangle if i were to do it that way i'd get more breakage which might not make sense i have tangle issues i can detangle and almost immediately after it's tangles up

I accidentally found a new way to "straighten" my natural hair. I washed my hair, then twisted into large twists. When dry, I used my Tangle Teezer to brush out the hair. I think I can easily flat iron the hair from this point.

After washing I apply a leave-in and rollerset, then sit under the dryer. It gets my hair silky straight, no other heat needed. If I 'm lazy I ponytail rollerset and airdry. After it dries I put it in a bun and it's straight in the morning. I prefer this way because no heat is needed.

Previously, I have airdried and then attempted to straighten, but I find that air-drying really locks in my curl/waves and makes it damn hard to get them straight, even with high heat and tension. I haven't straightened yet since completely natural (only been less than 2 wks), and I really don't plan on it...

If I do, I will blow dry on low, then use an electric ceramic pressing comb (Hot Tools) for roots, slim flat-iron with teeth (Maxius Miniglide) for the rest. I only straighten abt once per year due to the 3 hrs it takes wash & cond. to finish...maybe I will get a Maxiglide that will speed up the process.

Last edited:
^This. I just recently realized how well this works because the Curlformers get the hair so straight at the roots plus it does an excellent job in stretching the hair. I plan to use this method for straightening for now on!:yep:

Hey, StephElise your hair is so pretty! We have the same texture (4A/3C), so I may have to try Curlformers. Do you think hot rollers would work as well? I have Remington Hot Rollers I haven't used in years...

I go to the Dominicans and have them rollerset then blow dry. I stopped using flat irons all together because I lose my curl pattern that way.

I can't straighten my hair myself to save my life. It's just too much hair and I loose patience.

Back