Naturals, what new thing did you learn about your hair this year?

jainygirl

Hey everyone /images/graemlins/wave.gif. With the year coming to an end i know that there are alot of naturals out there both long-timers and newbies that have learned new things about their hair during this past year. I thought it would be nice to get everyones thoughts on what has happened to each of them personally over the past 'hair' year /images/graemlins/smile.gif

**What exactly did you learn about your hair that you didnt know last year?

**Do you view the knowledge you've gained as a positive or negative experience?

**Whether it was positive or negative, has this changed how you treat your hair regimine-wise?

**What are your hair health goals for next year?

SandySea

Re: Naturals, what new thing did you learn this year about your hair??

Great thread Jainygirl

**What exactly did you learn about your hair that you didnt know last year? That I don't have to settle for messed up hair.

**Do you view the knowledge you've gained as a positive or negative experience? Definitely a positive experience.

**Whether it was positive or negative, has this changed how you treat your hair regimine-wise?

I treat my hair with more TLC and I realize that I have to be proactive about hair health and growth.

Reach my length goals, and then moisturize and protect to retain length.

SandySea

Oops! I'm not natural. I guess I should read the subject more carefully /images/graemlins/hammer.gif.

jainygirl

[ QUOTE ]
SandySea said:
Oops! I'm not natural. I guess I should read the subject more carefully /images/graemlins/hammer.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's okay Sandysea, dont beat yourself up over there /images/graemlins/laugh.gif I think everything that you learned is great. It's so empowering to know that your hair doesnt have to look bad and that you have the knowledge to make it better /images/graemlins/smile.gif. Great year Sandy /images/graemlins/grin.gif. -- jainygirl

MeechUK

MeechUK

Hi Jainygirl,
I'm new to the forum and would like to say that what I have learnt about my hair that I did not know last year is;
-My hair needs constant moisture and protein, when I sported a Jheri Curl I kept my hair moisturised with curl activator and my hair grew considerably, a fact which I had forgotten!
-My knowledge has had a positive affect, I would often go for months without washing my hair. I now wash my hair every week with shampoo and condition wash a minimum of once a week.
-I now take better care of my hair and treat it like it is silk with lots of tlc. I also am a product junkie which has been to my benefit, I change products once a fortnight and alternate between protein and cholestral conditioners.
-My hair goal for the next year is to maintain healthy natural hair which will retain length. Which I am well on the way to achieving.

Meech /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Xerxes

Great thread! I haven't learned much, but I do know that my hair loves being natural and free! And I love letting it do it's own "thang"! LOL

I've really learned much more about myself with my hair journey than anything. Before, I was so concerned about having my hair look long and sleek instead of really just being in harmony with it. I thought I only could be attractive with straightened hair, now after a bad relaxer and cutting all of my relaxed hair off, I feel more self confident and love more of myself than I ever have before.

Either I'm going through what should have been resolved in my teens a bit late or I've made a breakthrough. LOL

And if I can look good just about bald, then I'm one hot little sumthin'! /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

<Don't you just love the "edge" your TWA gives you? It's like you're a supermodel or something even straight out of bed! Your hair is always "done" and gorgeous! Rain nor sleet nor snow can affect a TWA!>

Ok, let me stop, what was your question? /images/graemlins/drunk.gif

Xerxes

[ QUOTE ]
SandySea said:

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL@"I'm not natural" A person could take that comment so many ways, but I won't go there! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tru_Mind

**What exactly did you learn about your hair that you didnt know last year? I learn that my hair can be healthy and pretty without a relaxer.

**Do you view the knowledge you've gained as a positive or negative experience? Positive.Now, I have healhty hair.

**Whether it was positive or negative, has this changed how you treat your hair regimine-wise? Yes, I make sure that my hair is never too dry.

**What are your hair health goals for next year? I want to grow my hair past my shoulders.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
<font color="blue">My hair loathes shampoo and adores herbal ACV rinses.</font>

<font color="blue">Very positive and my hair thanx me for it.</font>

<font color="blue">Oh yes, because I can wash my hair more frequently, not worry about build-up and the condition of my strands has improved.</font>

**What are your hair health goals for next year? <font color="blue">Work on my overall health, try protective styles, purchase some satin pillowcases and nail down a routine.</font>

Divastate

**What exactly did you learn about your hair that you didnt know last year? That I've been trying to use the wrong type of shea butter for years now!

**Do you view the knowledge you've gained as a positive or negative experience? Very positive

**Whether it was positive or negative, has this changed how you treat your hair regimine-wise? Definitely unrefined virgin shea is a staple that has freed me from more expensive products- I have a moisture level which I didn't know my hair could have.

Just to keep it growing

NGC

1. That my scalp likes shampoo, and that my hair tolerates it.
2. That it's okay to be frizzy (in other words, I don't need to gel it down within an inch of it's life.
3. That my hair is actually fine, especially around the edges. I alwasy thought I had course, as the strand size, hair.
4. That I will not turn gray overnight(YAY!!!)
5. That unfortunately for me and my purse, my hair prefers salon quality products or all natural products.
6. That buns are not always my friend (pulling my hair back into a bun day in and day out will cause my fine edges to break.
7a. That my hair will tangle in a heartbeat and that I am safer if I braid it and just leave it alone (for the most part.
7b. That even though I am safer if I leave it alone, it okay to live "on the edge and play with my hair.
7c. That even though I am safer if I leave it alone, I am smarter if a make sure I keep all of my hair "lubricated" daily with oils.

It's all good, baby! /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/clap.gif

Yes, I treat it like an exotic flower, but have no problems will "enjoying the scent and picking a few /images/graemlins/rosebud.gif out of the garden". /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Keep learning and keep striving to maintain healthy hair. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
horrible knots do not have to end in scissors
the experience was definately a +
the scissors are not used on knots just on ends
i want to gain length and thicken up these ends

jetcitygirl

Smeller of roses
My hair likes to be oiled during the cold weather. Only certain oils will do though. Kemi Oyl &amp; coconut oil! This is really strange because my hair hated oil when it was shorter. /images/graemlins/confused.gif And I'm not sure this is relevant but I also learned that I have NO DESIRE whatsoever to straighten my hair anymore. Not even to trim it. I need to find an alternate method of trimming QUICK~

**Do you view the knowledge you've gained as a positive or negative experience? Hmmm, I'd say it is either positive or neutral. I may feel like straightening it again sometime in the future, just not right now.

**Whether it was positive or negative, has this changed how you treat your hair regimine-wise? I incorported pre-shampoo treatments with virgin coconut oil 2x a month, I oil my scalp with a little apricot kernal oil while in the shower, and I use Kemi Oyl on my ends on a daily basis. This is really saving my hair &amp; reducing my tight dry scalp problems this winter season.

I want to find a reliable method of trimming that doesn't take forever. I have had some breakage from using hair clips on the sides of my hair, so I'm making sure I'm a little more careful about using those and definately not going to bed with them on anymore.

ricochet

**What exactly did you learn about your hair that you didnt know last year?*** That the longer it gets, the more delicate I have to treat it...that I CANNOT do wash/rinse and goes unless I want some SERIOUS tangles at the end of the week! LOL!
**Do you view the knowledge you've gained as a positive or negative experience? Most definitely positive...I love my natural hair!

**Whether it was positive or negative, has this changed how you treat your hair regimine-wise? Yes, I know that I do not have to use shampoo on a regular basis or to detangle, my conditioner does just as good of a job!

Grow, grow, grow! /images/graemlins/clap.gif

inthepink

*My natural hair is very manageable.
*It's best to stick to products that work rather than wasting money on trying products that most likely won't work.
*My hair likes a consistent regiment.
*My hair likes to be moisturized and hates water-based moisturizers.

**Do you view the knowledge you've gained as a positive or negative experience? I see everything as a positive experience. A negative relaxer experience was turned into a positive experience b/c I was forced to embrace my natural hair and I now love it when I never thought that was possible. Luckily, my second try at a regimen as a natural has turned out to work wonderfully for my hair and I plan to continue with my current regimen for the foreseeable future.

**Whether it was positive or negative, has this changed how you treat your hair regimine-wise? Yes. I've learned to continue to use what works and also that I don't need to be heavy handed with products in order for them to work. My hair loves Carol's Daughter products so I will spend the money on them. I can offset them expense b/c my hair also loves Suave conditioner, too.

My hair health goals are to keep my hair moisturized and split-end free so that I can retain as much length as possible.

Ayeshia

Well first off I learned that my hair was curly...never knew that due to be getting it cornrowed, pressed, etc. I never wore my hair "out" when I was smaller, and the pressing comb took the curl pattern out of my hair. So I was going into this journey having no idea of what my natural hair looked like untreated without any styling method /images/graemlins/smile.gif I thought I was going to have hair like Rudy from the Cosby's because she was one of my inspirations to go natural form the beginning. Also frizz is not a bad thing...what do you expect with curly hair/kinky hair? Cant be smooth all the time ya know?

Definitely a postive experience:) I never regretted my decision nor have I had the urge to relax. Heck I dont even desire to straighten my hair anymore /images/graemlins/smile.gif Though I probably will anyway one day. But as of now Im 100% happy with my hair...even at my current length &lt;~~~~~ Suprisingly (a couple of years back I couldnt imagine myself saying this lol)

Regimine wise is a positive as well /images/graemlins/smile.gif I find that I dont have to do a lot to my hair. And I dont need a lot of products to help achieve the look that I need. My styling time (except for when I do a blow out on low heat) is at the most 5 minutes.

My hair goals for next year is to keep my hair healthy, minimum split ends, and soft.Im not worrying to much about length and breakage anymore. It will grow regardless because Im not doing anything damaging to my hair /images/graemlins/smile.gif

babyblue

-that a clean scalp is very important for providing a healthy environment for hair to grow. Now that i wash 1 or more times a week my scalp is much healthier than when i washed less frequently.
-that the strict no-poo method doesnt agree with my hair and that i need to use shampoo regularly.
-that frizz is ok. hair doesnt need to look sleek at all times.
-that heat can destroy your natural curl pattern
-and most importantly that less is more. less manipulation and less products. im not as heavy handed as i used to be.

-i view all learning experience as positive

-I pay extra special attention to my ends because split ends and breakage are what prevents us from retaining lenght.

-goals for the next year is to keep on growing and keep it healthy.

laketta

My hair loves moisture and not to manipulate it so much with excess heat.

Very positive because I am seeing progress.

Yes. I am very careful with the treeatment and what I use on it.

To get to at least brastrap or a little below brastrap.

brittanynic16

<font color="green"> **What exactly did you learn about your hair that you didnt know last year? **</font>

I learned that I have a beautiful head of natural hair. I also learned that I had a whole lot of poison under my scalp which lead to a few months of horrible scab hair.

<font color="green">**Do you view the knowledge you've gained as a positive or negative experience? **</font>

This is probably the best experience I have ever gone though.

<font color="green">**Whether it was positive or negative, has this changed how you treat your hair regimine-wise? **</font>

Well, once I grew out that scab hair I learned that my hair likes butters and likes to be washed offend.

<font color="green">**What are your hair health goals for next year?**</font>

Before I wanted long hair. Now, I just want big hair. So, that is my goal to have big big hair.

jainygirl

Wow, i'm loving the responses. I've been reading through every single one of them /images/graemlins/smile.gif. I realize that i never answered my own questions. So here i go..

**What exactly did you learn about your hair that you didnt know last year? I just chopped a few weeks ago but in that time i've learned that my hair and shampoo are not friends, that shampoo should only touch my scalp -- The End.

**Do you view the knowledge you've gained as a positive or negative experience? I view it as being very positive. I want to create an atmosphere for my hair that lets be at its best, and it cant possibly be that way by getting stripped of all it's natural oils by harsh shampoo.

**Whether it was positive or negative, has this changed how you treat your hair regimine-wise? It has definitely changed how i do things. I've taken to using a very delicate vegan/organic shampoo once every 2 weeks with CON washing every 2-3 days. My hair really likes CON washes whereas before chopping it hated them.

**What are your hair health goals for next year? My hair health goals are to not use heat, color or anything like that on my hair and just watch my hair stay happy and healthy.

Kha

- That I can style it just as well and obtain more growth by not using heat. I have also learned to be more aware of what products I use on my hair that could be damaging.

- Very positive

- Yes it does, I no longer blow-dry or press my hair on a regular basis and I always read the ingredients of a product before I buy it. The most major changes in my routine include no heat, low-poo, and the use of non-damaging hair accessories.

- To obtain healthy waist-length hair with the help of protective styling and vitamins.

Guapa1

<font color="blue"> **What exactly did you learn about your hair that you didnt know last year? </font>

-My hair can handle shampoo
-My hair like being washed once a week
-My hair likes being left alone
-Knots are something I'm going to have to live with.
-I really love my hair
-I think my shedding is normal
-My hair doesn't need trimming every 6 weeks. Its 3 months this week since my last trim, and I have hardly any split ends.
<font color="blue"> **Do you view the knowledge you've gained as a positive or negative experience? </font>
Practically all positive, my scalp feels better now I've started using shampoo again, and I'm not getting stressed about knots, and cutting them off constantly. I'm retaining more length because I'm not cutting as much. The only negative thing about loving my hair is I can't bear to put my hair in extensions (which would be a good rest) because the thought of not being able to touch it when I want hurts. I have been known to go under my wig and play with the back cornrows /images/graemlins/rofl.gif

<font color="blue">**Whether it was positive or negative, has this changed how you treat your hair regimine-wise? </font>

Well for a start I've had to buy shampoo! When I'm not on any challenges, I just wash my hair once a week, twist for 5 days twist out for 2 days and wash again. Occasionally, I play about, like the time I had a twist out for week, but my hair let me know at washtime how it felt about that /images/graemlins/spank.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif Because my hair feels cleaner, it feels healthier, and I don't do all ACV rinses, EVOO pre con anymore. My regime is simple, even simpler now I'm doing the wig challenge.

<font color="blue"> **What are your hair health goals for next year? </font>
Next year I want healthier hair. I'm going to make an effort with vitamins, keep my hair mosturised, leave more time in between trims, and just let my hair do its thang. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

AllAboutTheHair

[ QUOTE ]
jainygirl said:
Hey everyone /images/graemlins/wave.gif. With the year coming to an end i know that there are alot of naturals out there both long-timers and newbies that have learned new things about their hair during this past year. I thought it would be nice to get everyones thoughts on what has happened to each of them personally over the past 'hair' year /images/graemlins/smile.gif

~~ My hair doesn't like to be combed frequently or detangled after it has been shampooed or rinsed, my strands are stronger before. I add butters and oils for "slip" prior to shampooing or rinsing.

~~Definitely a positive. I have retained length and thickness by using this process.

~~yeah, I shampoo and rinse less frequently because I manipulate my hair less frequently than I use to. My natural hair is really moody (like me /images/graemlins/look.gif ) and doesn't like to be bothered most of the time /images/graemlins/lachen70.gif

~~Next year I want to retain/add at least 6 more inches or healthy natural hair and be able to wear a puff at the nape again, currently I have serious layers, 4/7/10 from front to back (it is a LONG story). HHG!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

DelightfulFlame

I learned that regular, small trims are better friends to me than sporadic large ones. I also learned that less is more when it comes to product usage, and that protective styles are my friend. Additionally I learned not to try new products on the date of an important event, and to free up at least 4 hours when I plan to do my hair.

Very positive!

Totally!

Healthy, gorgeous hair!

Deniece

Natural Beauty
I didn't know I could improve the texture and moisture level of my hair w/ frequent washings or w/ conditioner washings being my staple. Didn't know I could do a no heat challenge w/ my hair still looking cute thanks to phony ponies &amp; scarves. This is embarrasing but I've worn braids alot all my life and achieved growth...but I do not know why I did not know that I should moisturize my braids throughout the time they're up...(I know , duh)...I would probably be banging right now if I had been a braid moisturizer...lol /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Definitely a positive.

Oh definitely....I've been browsing this site since August...and when I took my braids down I went straight into the no heat challenge...after about a month and a half I pressed my hair to see what was going on...and it was feeling so good and alot thicker and at least 2 inches longer. So I went back to the no heat and now I am in braids which I will keep up until the new year....but I will be the moisturizing lady this go round. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

To take good care of my hair overall....to have my staple products figured out ( I don't wanna be a product junkie anymore....I'm already a shopaholic....lol) To find the best straightening method..last time I pressed I airdryed I think that may have helped w/ the thickness &amp; softness. I also recently bought a 1" ceramic flat iron which I am hoping will help me get close to my edges so that I don't have to press then flat iron...very time consuming...but my hair is thick though...So I don't know /images/graemlins/tongue.giferplexed: