In 2014 I learned ______ about my hair

PlainJane

I learned that a lot of my breakage was from mechanical damage. (Caused by me and my techniques and not from certain products)

NaturallyATLPCH

I learned that shampoo is not my friend but cowashing cleansers and mud are.

I also learned to stop chasing length and keep focusing on health.

Color is not your hair's enemy; poor hair care practices are. I'm glad I finally decided to color, my hair hasn't changed one bit, other than better moisture levels because I ditched shampoo.

spellinto

What did you learn? The biggest thing I learned this year is the importance of stretching my new growth so that my roots stay detangled during my stretches. Blow drying on cool was another awesome technique I discovered to keep my roots stretched. I also learned that sulfates really deteriorate my ends and that cleansing conditioners are the way to go :yep:
Which goals did you achieve? I narrowed down my stash, I found a better way to air dry, and I found products that are pretty inexpensive and multi-purpose.
Are you happy with your progress? Somewhat. I am happy that I have so much new growth on my head, but I've never had a problem with growth. I'm happy with all the little discoveries (regimen & techniques) I've made along the way. I would like to see more improvement in certain areas, mainly my ends and my hair's manageability. I would also like to enjoy my hair more in 2015 and spend less money on products.

Last edited:

spellinto

I learned that even at 5+ years, there is still more to learn.

I learned to embrace the need to get trims at least quarterly to avoid major set backs instead of waiting 6-9 months between trims.

I learned to fall in love with Alter Ego Garlic conditioner and it's ability to make my 4B hair softer, silkier and more like my 4A hair.

^^^ THE BOLDED!
Seriously, I have been on a HJ for years now, and even though I have gained a ton of length, I'm still surprised that there's so much I don't know/I'm just learning about the health of my hair!

Alta Angel

I learned not to feel self-conscious about wearing my hair "out" instead of a bun.

I learned that steaming often and with the right products has made wonderful changes in my hair. My hair is n

I learned to increase the number and duration of my steam treatments as a henna user.

I learned that less is more with my hair-products, styling, etc. Steam, condition, moisturize, braidout/twistout. That's it...

snoop

I learned that...

my hair likes to be finger detangled now that it's a bit longer.
my hair likes water and that I shouldn't be afraid of getting it wet.
my hair likes lighter oils over medium oils no matter what time of year.

Flourishnikov

Somewhere Flourishing...
I learned that my natural hair is not a scary untamed beast afterall! January will make one year of no relaxers and I have no plans of turning back. My hair likes protein, regular trims, and protective styling. Furthermore, I must flat iron at 400 degrees if I actually want straight hair. Perm rod sets are a lifesaver while transitioning and my natural hair is even thicker than my already thick relaxed hair. I cant wait til it gains some more length, so my perm rod sets will be even thicker, fuller and bigger.

frida1980

For the last three years, I simply blew out my hair and put it in a bun, because it was easy to manage. After seeing how thin and broken off it became due to too much neglect, I knew I needed to make a change. Starting in the beginning of May, I changed my hair regimen. Wash on a schedule, two strand twist, finger detangling, etc. My hair has gone from just below APL is now touching on MBL length again after only 7 months. I learned a lot over the last year. The most important being:

I learned how to PS my hair in one of the prettiest styles and still retain length and thickness.

My hair loves raw aloe vera gel, straight from the plant.

Finger detangling is easier than I thought.

If your going to co wash, you really do need to clarify your hair.

Henna is messy, complicated, but effective at dying grey hairs when used properly.

Green smoothies can help your hair grow.

I perfected my flax seed gel recipe.

Hair likes to be washed on a schedule. Just putting off wash day by 1 or 2 days can dry out your hair and increase shedding.

At the rating I'm going, I should be at WL by September. I'm enjoying feeling like I've mastered my hair finally, and can grow it and show it at the same time. I learned it wasn't about finding the right technique, or the right product, but taking what I learned all along and finding out what works best with my hair. Nothing I'm doing is new, aside from the finger detangling. But using it all together is what makes the difference.

Last edited:

atlien11

What a great thread. I enjoyed reading everyones responses.

With that said, I learned:

1. There is still so much to learn about my natural hair...

2. My hair does NOT want to be straightened. I tried to blow dry it this weekend on my own and it was a FAIL. Ill have to have it professionally done.

3. I didnt realize how much my hair affected my overall perception about myself. I have always been super confident but for the first time in a very long time, i felt unsure about my hair when i went natural this january. I didnt know how to do it. I didnt know if i liked it. I couldnt figure out why people stared at me differently (literally, there expression was "Okay black girl. we see you. i bet you are a natural nazi"). There was something freeing and oppressive about the entire ordeal. I still have my struggle days but I am determined to feel as pretty and sexy in my natural hair as i do my straight hair. The journey continues :yep:

Happy new year ladies.

-atlien11

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I realize that I am style challenged when it comes to my natural hair. The bun is the only natural style I have mastered :blush:

LaughingOctopus

I learned that porosity is very important! I used to shrug it off as something too technical and for the super length obsessed. Boy was i wrong. I was giving my hair things it didnt need and she (my hurr) threw up the deuces every time. Oh the money i couldve saved!

Funmiloves

My hair doesn't like cheap bobby pins....
My hair loves a good steam...
My edges got angry with the back to back cornrowing for my beloved crochet braids :'(
My hair doesn't miss combs, finger detangling is enough

bluenvy

Washing, dc weekly keeps tangles away. Protecting ends and m/s retains my length.
This is why I only need a trim once/twice yearly. Have not used a brush over a year.
I use wide tooth comb to wet detangle.

MsKinkycurl

My hair likes to be left alone. Every time I neglect my hair for weeks and am sure my hair hair broken off from being dry I am always pleasantly surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

imaginary

I learned how much my hair loves being twisted when I'm the one doing it. Way less tangles and breakage when ready to takedown.

I also learned just how important porosity, hard water and scalp health are. Like really.

Misseyl

What did you learn? That I can live and I'm in love with my natural hair
Which goals did you achieve? To have healthy bra strap natural hair by 2017
Are you happy with your progress? Yes. I've done everything possible to reach my goal by 2017. I'm praying not to have any setbacks during this time.

ajargon02

I RE-LEARNED that I have to keep up on my trims or I will have to cut off 4 inches of damaged hair AGAIN!

RockCreak

Through my up and down battles with my hair, I've learned to except it for what it is. Natural fine 3b/3c. I accept that less is more and I cannot achieve every style that I drool over. It loves, loves, loves water and con and a light oil does the trick.

I'm back at the twa stage and will enjoy the different phases of my journey back to mbl.

JaneBond007

That I still have the magic touch! I'm thankful that my hair still grows fast and thick. That it's okay to let go of the relaxers. I've learned other ways I'll be able to style it or straighten it without heat and chemicals. Mostly, I've learned that I can do color other than henna, which I am allergic to.

movingforward

Moving forward and onward
I learned my hair really does not like to be relaxed bone straight. It reacts negatively at least in my mind it does.

I may need to just go back to being natural. Or do my first thought before I relaxed and become a heat trained natural.

My hair LOVES protein, re constructors, etc. Plus deep conditioning on a weekly basis has been great with keeping my hair moisturized.

The less I actually touch my hair the better it reacts, grows, etc.

Kells

What did you learn? I have mild traction alopecia from wearing locks for 5 years.

Which goals did you achieve? I shaved off my locks and have grown it long enough to put flat twists in.

Are you happy with your progress? Yes.

Last edited:

froingforward

I learned that:

1. I have to be really careful with products with protein in them...the wrong kind can wreak havok on my hair and its dry, rough, breakage city for a few weeks.

2. My hair likes heat setting over air drying.

3. My hair likes steaming.

4. I need silicones (see below).

4. Transitioning is going to be a struggle. On the days that I do my hair my arms are up in the air for too long, shoulders get tense from detangling and the shoulder tension wakes me up in the middle of the night, and can't go back to sleep....:ohwell: Laying flat on my stomach or leaning back on my bed against my pillows while detangling and styling helps.

anoriginalpyt

I kept it super simple this year and reached two milestones (BSL and MBL), i leave my hair alone under wigs and make sure to apply my products daily and we have no problems! I also realized that detangling my hair when dry and oily is the best thing for it

girlonfire

I learned that there is never a good reason to go more that 2 weeks without washing my hair. It always ends badly.

I learned that my hair needs to be trimmed frequently but that's fine because it grows back and longer better and quickly. Gotta let the old stuff go so something better can take it's place.

Silicone is my friend. Certain kinds though.

It's a 10 = holy grail leave in

Stretching is never a bad idea

I need heat in my dc for it to be relevant.

Did I achieve my goals? Something like that. In the beginning I wanted to master non natural styles (pressing, roller sets) bc I felt pretty confident in my ability to do natural styles (braid outs twist outs china bumps etc) and wanted to add more versatility to my repertoire. I'm better than I was last January...master is quite a stretch lol. But I'm still in the setting challenge this year so maybe next january I can say I've mastered it. I plan to try faux dread locs. Not sure when bc I do not like to draw attention to myself at my current job. I'm going to do china bumps/bantu knots next wash day just to shake the rust off and I miss my short curly looks.

Am I happy with my progress: I guess. I've been back and forth between bsl and wl. I'm shooting for even hl. I'm currently a little past wl but I need a trim. Can't find my shears!

Last edited: