Naturals: What is the best gel for curl def.?

natural_one

I was natural for about 2 years and I could never find a good "gel" that defined my curls but also left my hair touchable. Does anyone have any recommendations?

For me it's water w/ some conditioner. what I do, is let the shower head run on my hair, then right before I get out, shake a little and add a touch of conditioner for touchable hold.

A heavy leave in conditioner works for me or the blue fantasia gel (I use the gel mostly for slicking my hair back though).

ajargon02 said:
For me it's water w/ some conditioner. what I do, is let the shower head run on my hair, then right before I get out, shake a little and add a touch of conditioner for touchable hold.

cosigning ...........

I love the fantasia IC w/ sparkelites(the clear one) the best one I've used
citre smooth n shine gel(the name may be wrong):grin:
ecostyler gel
When i don't want to use gel, I use water and conditioner
When I want an uber curl I also add any pantene leave in product.

IC Fantasia gel w/ sparklites for color treated hair (the blue one). I use it, even my hair isn't color treated, b/c it's more moisturizing than the clear version (which I tried). It gives great curl definition, and dries touchably soft, with just enough hold to keep hair from frizzing.

the best gel for curl definition is sebastian laminates sheer curly gelee, hands down the best! I put that first on soaking wet hair and then apply my oyin seal and shine serum, curls like madness, when it air drys I put a little of miss jessies buttercreme to fluff it up and I'm good, I have alot of curl definition products this is one that works well:)

Fantasia IC gel and World of Curls works the best. World of Curls gives me the best definition without crunch but it can be a little greasy if too much is put on.

Just plain water gives me curl definition. :) After rinsing my hair with water, I may or may not apply a lil conditioner or oil moisturizer, just depends. After my hair shrinks and airdries, the curl pattern of my hair shows up. I've never been a fan of using gels...they just make my hair feel icky.

Last edited:
Hi ladies,
Remember Eva pigford from Americas Next Top Model...well I love her curly do. However I am not ure how I can achieve that look. I have a full head of natural hair and would love to try something like that ....should I try wave nuveau or a texturizer...any suggestions?

silvergirl said:
cosigning ...........

I also co-sign this, I've yet to find a gel that will give a soft hold. Although, Fruit of the Earth Vitamin E gel does alright and doesn't flake...

Wow!! I could really use some help in this department as well...so it's great to read everyone's choice of products.

Like some people posted...water and conditioner is best to get the curls.
But I tend to like to add the gel or butters for added definition....

I have yet to whip up my own hair butter mixes (just to try it out....)--will be trying this soon!!! ;-)

But as far as GELS:
This is what I have in rotation:
Fantasia IC (blue color)
Dove Define & Shine Control Gel
Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel
World of Curls Curl Activator Gel
and La Bella's "Lots of Curls" Styling gel--"scrunch and set"....

I'm still testing to see what works but...
I think that so far the Worl of Curls Gel gives you the MOST definition! :)

thanks ladies..my texture is so weird. Its pretty much 3b but the curls dont clump together. It looks really pretty when its wet but after it drys it just like a million separate curls. anyway I will try some of these products , hopefully I will get the look I want.

I love Carefree Curls Snap Back now and when I was natural. Its not a gel and doesn't make the hair hard. To neutralize crunchy gel you should try Nexxus Humectress as a leave in it usually softens up the hair. It also hold curls too without hardening the hair like I C gel.

Last edited:
Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel works well for me provided that I clairfy with Baking Soda. Every since I have been doing this my curls have been defined very nicely.

i usually use long aid curl activator gel. works wonderful with a creamy/moisturizing leave in. i have photos in my fotki hth.

Fantasia Ic Gel (Blue or Green)

Or Plain Ol' Aloe Vera Gel (Lily of the Desert) mixed with your favorite essential and/or carrier oil

I've reviewed Fantasia IC Gel w/ Sparklelites (Awesome), Giovanni Extreme Hold gel (Amazing) and Sunsilks Captivating Waves and Curls line (my current staple leave-in) in great detail in my drugstore product review album. All fantastic!​

Beyond zone noodle head:yep::yep:

My hair twin Pokantas turned me on to it

I'll 2nd this _ ijust picked up 2 tubes @ Sally's on sale today during their $3 off sale!!

I also love Curl Keeper (the absolute BEST curl definition and 2nd, 3rd, 4th day curls) )and Curls FX gel for providing soft hold.

Back