naturals... wet buning?

naturaline

a few questions...

do any naturals wet bun?

what do you use to keep it neat/sleek looking?

how long do you keep you bun up?

does it make your hair too straight if its done too often?

:p Thanks Soo much!:p

i did, and i used fantasia ic gel after applyig my oils such as rosemaryand tu tu oil from carol's daughter, and butters from carols daughter as well.

slick back wth my soft boar brush and then putmy satin scarf on, and go to sleep. The next morning it has "set" and i am "set" for the day! :)

Sometimes I wet bun, if I'm in a hurry, but usually I let my hair air dry for awhile in a braid and then put my damp hair into a bun.

I rarely make my buns very sleek, I don't like to pull hard on my hair, but when I do I use a little avocado butter to moisturize and smooth my hair back. I'll wear my hair in a bun for a day or two before taking it down to wash or redo the bun.

I've been wearing buns for years without any problem. My hair has not become any straighter by doing this.

thanks for the replys! i think ill try n'wet bun because i cant get it sleek looking if its dry. i hope it can last 2days neatly.

camellia said:
Sometimes I wet bun, if I'm in a hurry, but usually I let my hair air dry for awhile in a braid and then put my damp hair into a bun.

I rarely make my buns very sleek, I don't like to pull hard on my hair, but when I do I use a little avocado butter to moisturize and smooth my hair back. I'll wear my hair in a bun for a day or two before taking it down to wash or redo the bun.

I've been wearing buns for years without any problem. My hair has not become any straighter by doing this.
gr8 info! your hair longgg! and beautiful;-)

I can't, my hair shrinks too much... I can barely put in in a ponytail when kinky wet:cry2:and I'm past shoulder lenght...

Damn shrinkage !! I feel that even if it would be bra-strap I wouldn't be able to do the wet bun ! :(:(

Sorry, I needed to vent...

Last edited:
Bunning my hair when wet is easiest and I get the sleekest result this way. I use gel to slick it back before tying it back with my pantyhose ponytailer. My favorite bun is the one in which I bring my hair through the band as though I'm making a ponytail, but instead of letting the hair hang, I pull it through only halfway, leaving the ends out at the top and sides to hang over the "bun" part. Not 100% protective, but it looks really cute and keeps my hair off my clothing. I redo my bun if the ends get crushed during sleep, or I sometimes just re-wet the ends with diluted conditioner and fluff them a bit.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: I don't think that bunning makes my hair any straighter over time.

Last edited:
do any naturals wet bun?

Yes everyday

2 parts curl activator gel 1 part Fantasia IC Thick n' Shine

Just for the day, I redo my bun daily

Nope

FlutterGirl said:
I can't, my hair shrinks too much... I can barely put in in a ponytail when kinky wet:cry2:and I'm past shoulder lenght...

Damn shrinkage !! I feel that even if it would be bra-strap I wouldn't be able to do the wet bun ! :(:(

I sometimes feel this way too! I don't think I'll ever be able to do a bun! :grin:

does anyone know how to combat the shrinkage so that I can get my hair in a bun??? any tips would help

cutiebe2 said:
does anyone know how to combat the shrinkage so that I can get my hair in a bun??? any tips would help
Have you tried bunning your hair on soaking wet hair while still in the shower, after a good detangling? I would apply lots of conditioner, rinse slightly (just enough to wet hair), gently detangle from tips up with a Denman brush, rinse again--leaving some conditioner in, and bun. A low bun may be the easiest to make with this method.

My hair is too dense to even put in one ponytail! I am collar bone length:ohwell:
I can make several wet buns lol bantu knots:lachen:

balisi said:
Bunning my hair when wet is easiest and I get the sleekest result this way. I use gel to slick it back before tying it back with my pantyhose ponytailer. My favorite bun is the one in which I bring my hair through the band as though I'm making a ponytail, but instead of letting the hair hang, I pull it through only halfway, leaving the ends out at the top and sides to hang over the "bun" part. Not 100% protective, but it looks really cute and keeps my hair off my clothing. I redo my bun if the ends get crushed during sleep, or I sometimes just re-wet the ends with diluted conditioner and fluff them a bit.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot: I don't think that bunning makes my hair any straighter over time.
This is exactly how I do mine. It really is 10 times easier to make a bun when your hair is soaking wet.
The longer your hair grows out in the front, the easier it will be to make. Before I had to use a bunch of clips to hold the front part down if I tried to make a low ponytail. Then I only needed one on each side, and now finally I don't need any. I redo mine every day and now that my hair has gotten used to being pulled back it is easier to do.

Use a gel or something that gives you super instant slip on your wet hair, and pull it back right away. I use a boar bristle brush to get it smooth. Sometimes I'll tie a scarf on to get the super sleek look, sometimes I won't.

FlutterGirl said:

I know how you feel :( .

I do my buns in the shower while the water is still running over my hair I detangle and gather it in a ponytail. Then when I get out I put my gel on it then tie it down for the night.

naturaline said:
a few questions...

do any naturals wet bun?

I wet bun. I put a little oil or something on my edges and i always wear something around my head. But aside from the pesky short hairs i have at the crown, i can get it pretty neat just using my hands.
My hair doesnt stay straight. It goes right back to being nappy after I rinse it.

im not currently natural but this is what i did when i was

what do you use to keep it neat/sleek looking? fantasia IC gel, boar bristle brush and a scarf to tie it for a few minutes

how long do you keep you bun up? 2 days or less

does it make your hair too straight if its done too often? not totally straight but it loosened the curl pattern

naturaline said:
a few questions...

do any naturals wet bun?

I brush my sides down and use a scarf to keep it "down". I wear my bun like 90% of the time! I have noticed the very front is a little straighter than the rest, but not sure if it that's just my natural texture or not. I love wearing buns!

zzirvingj said:
I brush my sides down and use a scarf to keep it "down". I wear my bun like 90% of the time! I have noticed the very front is a little straighter than the rest, but not sure if it that's just my natural texture or not. I love wearing buns!
whooo u have beautiful!

do you do this on wet or dry hair?

FlutterGirl said:

don't feel bad, fluttergirl, i'm right there with you! past shoulder-length, but my hair shrinks up so much that a bun right after a poo is impossible! so i usually apply my product, put my hair in a few twists, and sit under the dryer for about 20 minutes, just to take some of the moisture out and stretch the hair a little...by then, i can usually make enough of a ponytail, put my donut on, tuck my ends, secure with bobby pins, slap on my scarf, and go to bed! by the time i wake up in the morning, my hair is all kinds of LAID! i usually try to make buns last for 2 full days, and maybe try to cowash on the third day, cuz by then, it's lookin raggedy!

naturaline said:
whooo u have beautiful!

do you do this on wet or dry hair?

Thanks! I always do my buns on wet hair. After washing/deep conditioning/rinsing in the shower, I brush it back in the shower while sopping wet and put a scarf to lie down the edges once I'm out of the shower. HTH ;)

I used to wet bun when my hair was longer and honestly - my hair takes too long to dry and it would be wet when I got home that evening. Then I would remove the pony tail holder and it smelled mildewy so I stopped doing it.

naturaline said:
a few questions...

do any naturals wet bun?

I think it would work better for me, cause once my hair's dry it's so 'puffy' I can't get it all together on one place:s Could y'all give me some more tips on wet bunning?

How do you all cut down on mildew if you bun your hair wet with a scrunchie or ouchless pony tail holder?

Wet bunning is great, except for one thing. The enormous amount of dripping that occurs in the back of my neck. I've tried letting it air dry a bit, but this increases the swelling of my hair, making it a bit difficult to do a neat bun. Oh well.

Back