Naturals That Straighten.......

MzTami

Hellerrrr
Does your hair have a funny smell after straightening it? Not a burnt smell, but smokey?

I like my hair straightened every once in a while, but I find myself refraining simply because I don't like the smell.

How do you combat the smell?

Last edited:

SpyCats

Yes it does and I really don't know what to do to get rid of or prevent that from happening. After flat ironing I always apply the garnier fructis sleek & shine serum on my hair so that it will smell nice.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
Thank you for responding! I thought I was the only one with the smelly straightened natural hair.

Maynard

You are not alone...

My hair smelled so bad after a few days...I dont know if its the mix of smoke and sweat or what...I washed after about a week cause I couldn't take the smell! It was driving me up the wall!

MissJ

Even with a flat iron I get that burnt smell. I remember once I went to Too Groovy, and my ex was telling me that my hair smelled like it had been burned. I hate that smell and the feeling that maybe I've damaged my hair. I haven't tried anything to get rid of it, though.

Whip, how often do you flat iron your hair?

MzTami

Hellerrrr
Even with a flat iron I get that burnt smell. I remember once I went to Too Groovy, and my ex was telling me that my hair smelled like it had been burned. I hate that smell and the feeling that maybe I've damaged my hair. I haven't tried anything to get rid of it, though.

Whip, how often do you flat iron your hair?

ITA...I used a flatiron and it smelled like fruity smoke.

glamazon386

If your hair smells like that then you probably burned your hair to some degree. When I get mines done at the salon it never smells like that. Even when I go over it again at home late in the week with my curling iron or flat iron it doesn't smell like that. I use my irons on a low setting though. If you are seeing smoke or that burnt smell the iron is too hot.

MissJ

Well, heck, I used my Maxiglide on 5. I don't think that's high. But hey, what do I know?

llpru

I asked my old hairdresser this same question before. She said that it's because I didn't wash all of the products out of my hair. So, now whenever I straighten my hair, I make sure that it's clean and that all of my tools are clean as well.

Soliel185

Have you ever thought that maybe you're using too much product? Sometimes if product gets gunked up on my flat iron it will start to burn off and create a bad smell. Also, make sure you clarify before you straighten so any products you do use have the best chance at working. Just a thought.

Harmony0221

I get that smell too. But I think it was because of how much of the products I was using and high heat. So when I straighten again I'll be sure to remeber less is more.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
I had my hair flatironed at the salon. She washed, conditioned, and then flatironed it. My hair didn't have any products in it except for the heat protectant she was using.

I don't know...Thanks for your input ladies!!!

Starr1

On the rare occasions that I do straighten my hair I make sure I don't have anything on it except a heat protectant and that the hair is completely dry before straightening. With pressing or flatironing, you're essentially burning any left over product off of your hair- hence the smoky smell. If do the above and still have issues with the smell you can try putting a little olive/coconut/jojoba or other carrier oil of you choice into a spray bottle with a few drops of your favorite essential oil (a little goes a long way) and mist away. It'll add shine and have you smelling great.