Naturals - Salon Straightening

inthepink

For naturals who go to a salon to have their hair flat ironed/straightened.

1. How did you go about finding your stylist?
2. What method/steps do they use to straighten your hair?
3. What products are used?
4. How much do they charge?
5. Does your hair come out well - as in looks like relaxed hair.
6. How long does it stay straight?
7. What do you do with it at night to keep it straight/hold the style?

Eventually, I may want to find a stylist who can straighten my hair and I want to know how to go about finding someone I can trust. The last time I had my hair flat ironed, I wasn't too happy with the results. So, in the meantime, I plan to learn to do it myself.

blkbeauty

Hey Hairlove/images/graemlins/wave.gif

I am a natural too and want to know the same answer!

BUMP

laketta

1. How did you go about finding your stylist? Luck. Because of the location.

2. What method/steps do they use to straighten your hair? first they conditioned me then blowdry. Next they press it with a hotcomb. (Which I now realize this was too much for my hair)

3. What products are used? Sadly I never saw it.

4. How much do they charge? Too darn much. Just kidding. 60.00 for me

5. Does your hair come out well - as in looks like relaxed hair. It does come out well. Sometimes too well to the point where it will not hold a curl.

6. How long does it stay straight? If I am lucky 2 weeks ]

7. What do you do with it at night to keep it straight/hold the style? I wrap my head with a scarf

[/ QUOTE ]

blkbeauty

Thanks Lakettab/images/graemlins/wave.gif

I love been a natural, however I would like to switch it up a bit from time to time with a press. Honestly I am now comptiplating on just getting weave for when I want to rock the straight look, because I fear that the press will change my texture.

Do you feel that pressing your hair has changed the texture any? Inquiring minds want to know/images/graemlins/grin.gif

laketta

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks Lakettab/images/graemlins/wave.gif

I love been a natural, however I would like to switch it up a bit from time to time with a press. Honestly I am now comptiplating on just getting weave for when I want to rock the straight look, because I fear that the press will change my texture.

Do you feel that pressing your hair has changed the texture any? Inquiring minds want to know/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It has a little. My head has various textures some are almost straight and most is the tighest 4b. The straight got straighter so when detangling, it becomes an issue like today, I updated my album after straightening withthe maxiglide iron and it was challenging.

skegeesmb

I know I'm transitioning, but I did go to a stylist while my hair was natural.

She was a stylist that I had used when I was relaxed as a child.
She washed, deep conditioned and sat me under the hair dryer. Then she pressed my hair when it had dried.
She used Dudley's shampoo and conditioner. I don't like grease, so she didn't use any.
She charged me a lot about 45 dollars. This is up North though. Most hairdressers except the Dominicans are pretty expensive.
I sure did. It was silky straight and felt light as air.
My hair stayed straight for a week because I had to wash it.
My hair was pretty short at the time. It wasn't shoulderlength yet. I just shaped my silk scarf into a triagnle and tied my hair up.

Soleado

Was my stylist while I was still relaxed.
Blowdryed with a dryer and round brush and then used a ceramic iron.

Used Aveda Brilliant creme

Well, he charged I think 45 for a wash and blowdry. Not really sure because he only time I go now is when my hair needs to be trimmed/cut.

Yes, it is usually very straight.

Until I wash it.

Wrap it and then put a silk scarf on.

Tracy

<font color="red"> My mother went to my dominican stylist when she wanted her natural 4a/b hair straightened. </font>

<font color="red"> They wash it, condition it, apply a leave in and blow it out with a blowdryer and brush. </font>

<font color="red"> As above. She'd just use whatever I had brought to the salon. </font>

<font color="red"> $30 </font>

<font color="red">You can see pics in my album called "Mi mama". I think it looks just like relaxed hair even though she w as completely natural. </font>

<font color="red">About week. More if she uses more oil in her daily maintenance, which I don't like her to do. </font>

<font color="red"> She would wrap and use a large barreled curling iron in the morning sometimes if it was a a little dented in places. </font>

CocoaButterflyy

I have 2 stylist one in DC one in NY... the one in DC I saw several people whose hair she did and it was great the one in NY a girl at my school who's hair was just like mine got it straightened there and then I saw the lady featured in a magazine

set and blow dry with round brush and then flat ironed
One salon is all aveda the other uses a mix of tigi and other salon products but the routine is the same wash deep cond, set with a foam, blow dry then apply oil and go overwith flat iron

$45 and $65

yes it does (there are pics in my albums)

two weeks or so

7. What do you do with it at night to keep it straight/hold the
wrap it or pin curl it

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
I do my own hair or have my mom do it but we take my daughter who has about 3.5in of newgrowth to the shop

1. How did you go about finding your stylist? just used the same woman who was doing her perms
2. What method/steps do they use to straighten your hair? blowdry then flatiron with the one you put in the lil stove
3. What products are used? none during the flatiron but she used a wax to lay down the edges after and oil after it was done
4. How much do they charge? $35
6. How long does it stay straight? We stretched it out to a month
7. What do you do with it at night to keep it straight/hold the style? We wrapped the hair at night like the pic in my album and then put on a satin cap. then we unwrapped with oil every 2-3 nights

It looks so good my mom thought i decided to perm her hair again. pics in her album (the one in black is my fave.)

InsertCleverNameHere

I'm scared to let someone press my hair these days!!!! However, while I was learning to do my own, I got careless and burned a chunk out of my head. Now I'm a pro but I don't know if it was worth that chunk of hair, lol!

CocoaButterflyy

[ QUOTE ]
Im looking for a stylist to press my hair..is your NY one in NYC or upstate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in both areas and drove from upstate to brooklyn to get my hair straightened...I went to Time Salon in brooklyn and saw Deion (it's a lady)