Naturals, question about your decision

B

Bublnbrnsuga

What made you go natural? Was it for a change? Hair damage from relaxers? Appreciation of your natural texture? Freedom?

Have you pondered another relaxer? Why/ why not?

Do you use heat to straighten your hair? If so, how often?

Which was easier to manage- relaxed hair or natural hair?

Wildchild453

When I hit waist I stop
I went natural cause I got bored and was just plain sick of relaxing.

I don't straighten my hair, won't be for a long time. I want to get to my goal as quick as I can and box braiding mimicks it enough.

I find natural hair easier. I love just jumping in the shower, conditioning and then goin

RainbowCurls

What made you go natural? Firstly, I'd had enough of relaxers preventing me from having long hair. Much later in the transition, it was more that I wanted to see my hair in it's natural state.

Have you pondered another relaxer? Why/ why not? No. But I have however been having thoughts of straight hair recently. I wouldn't ever get another relaxer though because I wouldn't be able to dye my hair. Also, I can get a better result with a flat iron. My hair laughs at relaxers, then self destructs.

Do you use heat to straighten your hair? If so, how often? I haven't done it since just before my chop. I am considering doing it occasionly (once every two months or so)

Which was easier to manage- relaxed hair or natural hair? Hmm... relaxed hair was always a lot of work for me. But that might be because I hadn't discovered hair boards yet. But natural hair is time consuming too as I need to wash it nearly every day.

Qetesh

What made you go natural? Was it for a change? Hair damage from relaxers? Appreciation of your natural texture? Freedom?
I have always been natural. My mother would get her hair done by my aunt who told me my hair is too “good” to get a relaxer/ I regretted not being able to get one when I was young, but as I got older I liked the body of my hair when it was pressed. To the point where I always had my hair pressed so people didn’t even know I had natural hair they thought I had a relaxer anyway.
I have been trying to actually learn about my natural hair since pressing it takes it out of its “natural state” I am a newbie at this so I honestly don’t even know what works on my hair but I admit I am starting to truly accept my texture and like it.

I must admit I have pondered a relaxer. Only because I see it done so much it seems like I am somehow missing out on something sometimes. Then I actually look at the damage caused by many of the relaxed females hair around me and I get scared.

Once I entered middle school I wanted my hair straightened all the time, my hair doesn’t revert unless it’s wet and even then it needs to be saturated because I always used oils (Hot 6) on my hair.
I would have my hair flat ironed once every 3-4 months from middle school up. I only washed it when I was getting it pressed, in the summer I had braids with beads on the end I also would get some extra hair put in with the braids because they lasted longer that way.

I cant even answer this question, for some reason my mother always told me I didn’t take good enough care of my hair to get a relaxer so she said I shouldn’t get one unless I am REALLY gonna take care of it which scared me away.

Carefree

Bublnbrnsuga said:

I decided to grow out my natural hair for the versatility. I also prefer "big" hair so natural was the way to go.

I've had times when I've pondered texturizing again. Washing and styling was a little easier because my hair was less bulky. But I've grown to love my natural hair so I highly doubt I'll texturize again.

Do you use heat to straighten your hair? If so, how often??

Yes, normally 2-3 times a year, but as of late I've been straightening like every other month because I've needed a change.

Relaxed hair was easier. Once I learned how to take care of my relaxed hair I used to wash and wet wrap it once a week - that's it! Natural hair is more work for me. I know there are easy natural styles such as the wash n go but when I wash n go too much my ends pay dearly for it. Puffs and buns are cool and easy too but overall I think managing straight hair is far easier.

hopeg80

I guess I was just tired of getting relaxers. At one point before I decided transitioning, I would think "Do I have to get relaxers forever!" I would get terrible scalp burns, and my hair would shed like crazy. I was tired of fighting my naps.

I have thought will I ever relax my hair and the answer is NO!!! My hair is soooo much healthier and longer than it has ever been now that I am natural.

I straightened my hair once and I will probably not straighten again. I had so much breakage and heat damage to my hair. :mad:

I think that is is easier with natural hair. Even though it takes so much longer for me to wash, condition and style my hair. I know that once I am finished I won't have to do my hair for another 2-3 weeks. No more standing in a hot bathroom with a hot curling iron, no more sores in my scalp from relaxing, no more trying to hide my new growth. I am FREE!!!:lol:

WhipEffectz1

Bublnbrnsuga said:

I went natural because I was tired of the bulls*&t with relaxers! I didn;t have too much of a problem stretching relaxers and I was always sad when it was time for a relaxer. I felt that relaxers was slowing my hair progress and I wanted freedom from relaxers once and for all. I figured that once I was natural, I could have the best of both worlds meaning curly or straight hair.

Nah, I never pondered another realxer because when I want straight, I just go to the Dominicans or Too Groovy.

I almost never use heat except for blowouts.

Both relaxed and natural hair have its ups and downs. I'm appreciating my natural hair more and more.

Chinagem

Bublnbrnsuga said:

I decided to go natural b/c I wanted a change. To me wearing natural is a form of hairstyle/expression; it's not a way of life.

I don't use heat to straighten my hair b/c I don't have enough hair to even straighten yet. I'm not against using heat sparingly in the future.

I think my relaxed hair is just as easy to manage as my natural hair. however, my natural hair requires less maintenance. This is its main pro for me.

P

patient1

Bublnbrnsuga said:

My reasons were more political/spiritual. I was 19, in college, an activist, and after a time it just seemed odd to believe I HAD to relax my hair. I started seeing all sorts of beautiful people with creative natural hairstyles: twists, locs, fros, etc. My boyfriend of the time took me to his barber and I went from thick past shoulder length relaxed to a low feminine fade. I escaped to Trinidad for a week to scared to show my Dad who was notorious for hating on Black women's hair with any kink. My mothe had long "good" hair. If it wasn't like hers, it needed to be pressed or relaxed according to him. As time went by I just took on the mantra, God makes no mistakes. And here I am. I have to tell you though, my ideas about my hair only extend to myself and my children. If they want to relax when they get older, at least it wont' be because they think their hair texture is a mistake or misfortune.

Nope. I'm comfortable with my natural hair. I can get a straight look, but I can't get relaxed hair to do what natural hair can (notwithstanding weaves). I tried this weekend. A young lady with long healthy bsl hair wanted me to create an afro puff look for her. We tried via rod sets and teasing but couldn't really get it right. What I did discover is that I've still got my skills when it comes to styling relaxed hair. My rollerset was banging!! Haven't lost my touch!
Do you use heat to straighten your hair? If so, how often? Honestly, in the past 15 years maybe 3 or 4 times. All but once to precision cut my ends. Once to put in individual braids.

Depends on what I wanted to achieve. The easiest style of all was a baldie or really low hair. Doesn't get any easier than that. My relaxed hair was healthy and I enjoyed conditioning it and styling it (though I overused the curling iron for sure!! I had one of those gold and hots and I'd crank it all the way up.)

Relaxed or natural, I think hair management can be as hard or easy as you make it.

Hope this helps!
p1

JustKiya

I went natural because unless I layered setting lotion and hot curled my hair EVERY SINGLE DAY, I looked like a wet cat. Fine, fine hair and extra strength perms do NOT go together. Besides, I hated pickign scabs off of my scalp. *shudder*

Never. Even on the days when I wanna shave it all off and start fresh, the idea of perming my hair again - no. Once again, Wet cat. And I have a BIG head.

Nope - once again, ultra fine hair - and I'm not willing to pratice on my hair and potentially damage it. It's damaged enough from the dye & the bleaching....maybe once all the dye is gone and my hair is fully healthy, I MIGHT try a serious blowout just to see - but I'll most likely jump right into the shower to get my hair back.

Honestly? I don't know. I didn't do much with my relaxed hair - it was short, and I would usually just gel it back. I hated going to the salon, I hated waiting for HOURS, I hated the smells of perm and burning hair, but I dug being able to run a comb through my hair at will.
I love the smell of the stuff I use on my hair, I love the way my hair feels, I'm still loving the full weekend treatment that I give my hair - but I can't honestly say it's EASIER to manage. Do I LIKE managing my natural hair more? Definitely!! Is it easier? I don't know.

mkstar826

supersonic

i was one of those who never questioned why i got a relaxer. i just knew it was what my mom did to my hair every few months and as i got to be a teen and started doing my own. but when i met a friend of mine who's natural, she introduced me to NP.com and i browsed there for a while and saw all the beautiful natural hair and it made me think about why i was getting a relaxer. i also read the "hair story" book and it opened my eyes to alot of things as well. i realized that having nappy hair is not a bad thing and i wanted to embrace that so i started transitioning.

a lot of people have said "if you relaxed it, it would be sooooo long" and that made me think about it but i've never thought "i want a relaxer again". it's just not for me anymore. i love my hair and i love the freedom.

No, not bone straight with a flat iron or pressing comb. i've done blowouts but it's really not the same...i had straight hair for the majority of my life, i'm pretty much over it. i like textured hair and big hair a lot more on me.

pretty much the same.

Cheleigh

Mostly for freedom. When I was relaxed, I wanted bone straight. I didn't like to wash my hair at home, etc. because I didn't want poof. I didn't like the feel of my new growth either, compared to the relaxed. But, I also hated going into the salon--hated getting a retouch and all that it entailed. I wasn't tied enough to straight hair see the need to continue to do something that I hated doing, even if I liked the end result.

Nope. I'm a new natural, but I can't imagine going back to being relaxed. The benefits to being natural far outweigh the benefits of being relaxed (for me).

I haven't since I've been natural. I'm scared of heat damage. But I will probably do a light flat iron sometime before my one year natural anniversary.

Difficult to answer, since it's comparing apples to oranges. I took much better care of my transitioning/natural hair than I did my relaxed, because of the hair boards. Day-to-day styling--relaxed was easier, since I rarely did anything except smooth it back into a ponytail or bun. Overall hair care, natural is easier because my natural hair doesn't require much to be healthy and is easy to manage generally.

miss Congeniality

After I had my son, I saw how beautiful his hair was and I started to wonder what my natural hair was like. Yes, I had damage when I was relaxed, but I think it came from me not really caring about my hair.

Nope. I love my hair and don't want to change it for the world.

Nope. I am tooo scared to use heat. I just can't take that risk of damage.

Ummm...this is a little harder. It is like comparing apples to pears. Both have there perks and drawbacks.

PaperClip

What made you go natural?
1. Tired of being a slave to the relaxer for more than 20 years.
2. Wanted to wear shake and go hair (this was a faith step 'cause I didn't know what my natural hair was going to look like!)

Was it for a change?
A change as stated above.

Hair damage from relaxers?
Not really. Thankfully I never had any fall-outs or any major damage at all, and I was FAITHFUL to the relaxers every 4-6-8 weeks. But relaxers certainly were not helping my hair.

Appreciation of your natural texture? Freedom?
I am learning more and more every day to appreciate my natural hair because God made it, my hair follicles have managed to survive 20+ years of relaxing, and I am certainly free of the dependency on hair salons, relaxers, and chasing the conventional straight hair perfection that I never really attained.

Pardon my French, but HECK NO! Honestly, I haven't! And that's an amazing thing to me!

No.

I never managed my natural hair. I was dependent on hairdressers ALL MY LIFE (my mother is a hairdresser). So I manage my natural hair now. I say managing my natural hair is easier because I'm doing it myself and not depending on others or spending time and money in a hair salon. Once I get a routine together, it will be even more easier.

lnhair

What made you go natural? Was it for a change?
I went natural when my sister decided to. We were going to do it together. She is considerbly older than me and i was 16 and only had a relaxer for 3 years at that point and she persuaded me.

Hair damage from relaxers? Appreciation of your natural texture? Freedom?
I had damage from the relaxer. I had tons. I started off with APL hair and ended when i began my transition with neck length hair. It was horrible. I went natural because i missed having long hair .

Someties i want another relaxer to see if i could really take care of it this time around and have long hair like the ladies on this board. Sometimes i would like to show off all my hard work at growing my hair and show that length that i have.

I dont touch heat unless it is necessary. Sometimes i am forced to touch heat. The same sister that went natural with me keeps her hair pressed. I don't. She is great at doing braided styles but refuses to do my hair unless i press it for her to braid it!!:mad:

For me i find that it is harder for styling natural hair but i find that the maintennance in when it comes to the routine such as the amount of conditioning, protein treatments and so on is more time. So i guess it balances the other out.

remnant

I went natural after surgery(head) I had no choice!
My first goal was to have long natural hair and then get my hair relaxed.
I found websites like napturality and motown girl, crazycoils and began to appreciate my hair, I decided then to stay natural!

No, because what I like about my hair is Versatility, I like change (natural coils, straight hair, two strands twist, twist/braid-out, buns, cornrows, afro, braids, flexirods, wash&go, rollersets)!

Yes. I used it this summer every two weeks. I'm more focus on my goal now, when I will reach my ultimate goal I plan to use it once every month !

I don't know because when I was relaxed I didn't take care of my hair!

Last edited:

lsubabiedee

Bublnbrnsuga said:

I decided to go natural because I was tired of getting relaxers, and because I loved wash n go hair.

I've never considered getting another relaxer. I don't like the smell or the damage, and I'm not too fond of straight hair on myself.

I haven't used heat since before my transition.

I'll have to say my natural hair is easier to manage because I don't have to do much to it to have a style.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
Bublnbrnsuga said:

I decided to go natural because I was tired of straight hair, I hated the lack of thickness, and I hated the everyday wrap. I was also envious of naturals I'd see on television, at the mall, everywhere. I wished that my hair was like theirs.

I have pondered texturizing. I actually planned on doing it during my transition, had it researched and everything. But, after 7 months of transitioning I really started to like the hair coming out of my scalp and thought maybe I shouldn't. So, now I'm all natural. I might texturize some day, probably not, but I can never go back to "no options straight hair".

I straighten my hair on occasion, every other month or so.

I have an easier time with natural hair. When relaxed I had to touch up my hair every day with heat, due to my daily exercise. Now I just rinse my hair, condition, apply product in the shower, and thats it. Even when my hair is messy or frizzy it has character. LOVE IT!

Incredible1ne

I went natural basically on a whim. I had actually went to the salon that day to get a touch up and I just looked in the mirror and told my girl to cut it off. I did have a little damage (no edges at all, stayed @ the same length because of split ends, shedding) but that probably would have been cured if I knew about this site prior to my cutting my hair off.

At first when my hair was really short and I wasn't seeing any growth and really didn't know how to style my hair. Now that it's growing and I'm able to do more a relaxer is the furthest thing from my mind.

My hair is still short and right now I don't see the point in straightening it and I don't have the desire to do so. I see that being flatiron/blowdry free for four months has done my hair a world of good.

I can't lie it was easier to manage relaxed hair but I have learned that natural hair isn't unmanageable you just have to treat it differently.

Cichelle

I was sick of relaxing and didn't want to use the chemicals anymore.

Nope. Some drastic change in my state of mind would have to happen, because at this point I can't imagine ever using a relaxer again.

I don't use heat on my hair, except for the warm water I use to wash it.

Well, I don't think there is much difference really. I didn't do much with my relaxed hair and I don't do much with my natural hair as far as styling it. (I wear my hair up just about every day.) But I guess I could say I spend more time on my hair now because I pay more attention to it now and cowash much more often.

Curlee_lurker

LA face/low class booty
I was sick of going to the salon. I was young when I got my first relaxer and I was about 12 when I decided I didn't want to go back to get my hair done. I thought it was a waste of time. My stylist would trim my hair everytime I'd go in every 2 weeks. I saw a picture of me with a shoulder length bob with bangs and wondered when I'd put that wig on. I realized she'd decided how she wanted my hair and slowly cut it into that style. I would touch up my bangs from time to time until I was 14.

I have. And I did leave a relaxer on for 5 minutes once and it did absolutely nothing. Then I thought about the fact that sitting there for 10 to 15 minutes wasn't going much to straighten my hair either. There's pretty much no point as my hair doesn't respond to it.

Sometimes. Not too often. I've went 2 years without it before and I've flat ironed up to 4 times in a year before. I like washing my hair daily so it's a waste of time.

I didn't do anything to my hair then and I do nothing to it now. I was always in the shop with relaxed hair though. I've been 3 times in the past 10 years versus sometimes 3 times a month when I was relaxed.

I'm still trying to understand why my mom would let me go get my hair done so often. I was so young. She'd drop me off and have me call before I was done for her to pick me up. Now that I think of it, that's totally ridiculous.

Last edited:

ThursdayGirl

Bublnbrnsuga said:

I did it because I was tired of paying for relaxers and feeling like I had to get a touchup. I was curious about my natural texture after seeing other people's natural hair. I actually thought my hair would be nice and curly... but its not. Its nice and kinky. I'm ok with that.

Oh yeah! I have a lot of hair and it takes me 3-4 times as long to do it now. It was easier to style and go when it was relaxed. Seems like I could style it better back then. Strangely enough, it seems to be easier to comb all natural, versus combing new growth.

Do you use heat to straighten your hair? If so, how often? Yeah... maybe once every 3-4 months. I am contemplating doing it more often now that its winter and I miss straight hair.

for me, relaxed!

IrisDaVirus

There were a few reasons why I went natural. The biggest one by far is my growing aggravation with the upkeep that comes with chemically treated hair. I knew I was destined to be natural again and the day came when I acted on that whim and I haven't looked back.

I haven't pondered another relaxer or even a texturizer (which is basically a mild relaxer). I'm having too much freedom and fun with my natural hair to do so.

It's extremely rare that I straighten my hair for any reason.

I can't speak for other ladies but natural hair is by far the easiest for me to maintain.

Last edited:

prettyinpurple

Bublnbrnsuga said:
I was just curious about my natural hair, just wanted to see what it was like. Guess I had a strong curiousity cause my family kept trying to convince me to start perming again but I held out lol.

Nope. I had a disaster with a texturizer a couple of years ago, had to cut my hair short and start over basically. My hair is fine and straightened really quickly so I ended up with some straight pieces in the front:perplexed I wanted to elongate my curls and show length but that was not the result. Actually the smell of relaxers makes me nauseous now so I think I'm done with them. And I do not miss needing a touch-up and dealing with two textures at all!

Nope. I had my hair pressed while transitioning but it curled right back up in the summer heat lol. Former stylists have straightened it lightly with a blow dryer before doing cornrows. My hair actually gets straight w/very little heat so I'm a little scared of permanent heat damage.

Natural hair has become easier for me. I've been forced to learn how to style my hair and be creative. Of course I love not being worried about getting my hair wet. My only style when relaxed was wearing a wrap, not much creativity there.

inthepink

What made you go natural? Was it for a change? Hair damage from relaxers? Appreciation of your natural texture? Freedom? I had success with relaxers for over 15 years and then I got a bad one. Did some research on the internet and decided to transition.

Have you pondered another relaxer? Why/ why not? Yes, I've pondered it only quickly though. I don't plan on ever relaxing again.

Do you use heat to straighten your hair? If so, how often? Yes. I straighten my hair weekly - mostly rollersets.

Which was easier to manage- relaxed hair or natural hair? When my natural hair was short, it was pretty easy. My relaxed hair was long but I learned to take care of it. Now, it's pretty even.

FlowerHair

Reclaiming my time
I've been natural most of my life, due to the fact that I didn't even know relaxers existed until I was around 17. Believe it or not! :D
I did relax twice but both times my hair fell out and was severely damaged. So I just cut off all my hair and started over.
For me, natural hair is a lot easier to manage, just because I'm so used to it.
I'll never have another relaxer again. I use heat to straighten about once a year. It's too much work :lol:

Enchantmt

Progress...not perfection
I was tired of having to HAVE to relax my hair. I had tried to go natural before, years ago. My mom had always told me I didnt need a relaxer and so I cut it all off. I only lasted about a year. I didnt know I had to make a care change, and treated my hair like it was relaxed, straightening it every week, and it didnt look as polished as my relaxed hair, so I was easily talked back into a relaxer. I wanted to try again, but with all the weight I had gained I held off. Once I joined here and realized I could transition and not BC, then I was all for it. I almost didnt do it when I realized some of the mindsets surrounding natural black hair, but eventually during my transition I got the nerve up.

I've toyed with the idea off and on, and recently I've had a dream I relaxed it. The dream seemed so real that when I woke up I expected to look in the mirror and see relaxed hair. I remember being disappointed I had relaxed it but after I thought about it for a while, I was also sort of disappointed that I hadnt. It sort of bothers me that I wasnt as upset about getting relaxer as I thought I should be. I've been reading more about natural hair and the more knowledgeable I've become, the more I feel this is a life long decision. I've been doing on my own mental exercises regarding my hair. I realized that normally, when I visualize myself reaching a goal or something, I see myself happy and with long straight hair. As such, I don't think I've embraced my natural hair as well as I would like to think I have so I'm focusing on seeing myself with natural hair in all my successes. I want ALL parts of me to be at peace with my decision and I dont want the mindset that I can only be happy and successful with relaxed or mainstream hair.

The folx here at home didnt care for my BC and tho they have warmed up to my natural hair, I still dont get the range of compliments I did as a relaxed head. My vanity misses that somewhat. I have no plans on relaxing, and I'm not mentally prepared for another transition should I relax again and decide its not for me. Right now knowing a relaxer is always an option is good enough to help me keep the decision to remain natural. I only get itchy about things when I feel there is no choice.

I've only done it twice. Once to try out a new flat iron and heat styling to see just how versatile my hair is, and another for a family event. My cousin pressed it. It came out very nice and lasted about a week, with flat iron touch ups in between.

Which was easier to manage- relaxed hair or natural hair? Honestly-relaxed hair. As long as I had a good cut I could roller set it, wrap it, and do whatever all day long and have it look good everytime. I did my own relaxers so I only had to go to the salon when I needed a cut or I just didnt feel like doing it myself. Going natural was a learning curve and I'm still style challeged with my natual hair. I've only been doing wash n gos, puffs and two strand twists. Once I actively look for more styles and seek to educate myself and become more knowledgeable in creating them, I expect this to become a toss up.

wyldcurlz

I went natural because my hair wasn't thriving with a relaxer. it was constantly breaking and never grew past "just above shoulder" length. it wasn't soft and didn't have "movement" except for just after it was relaxed. in other words, my hair was severly damaged.

i occasionally straighten my hair. i sometimes straighten it if i have a date or an important business trip or something like that. i rarely straighten it though (guess i don't date that often :lol: ) maybe once every 4 months.

i think my hair is easier to manage now that its natural. i obviously didn't know how to care for my relaxed hair (seeing all the long, luscious relaxed heads here.) but, now i'm an easy wash and go. my natural hair is very easy to take care of.

Bublnbrnsuga said:

beyondcute

Bublnbrnsuga said:

~Lots of compounding stuff. A look into hisory for a paper I had to write, a never ending affair with my new growth, natural heads on campus, loss of a hair stylist, cost impact on my pockebook, the list goes on

~Yes, I dont like my hair texture. It isnt what I thought it would be. But then I start to think about all those reasons above and change my mind.

~Whenever I feel like it. Maybe once a month. My haur hasnt gotten any heat damage so I guess I keep "pressing" my luck :lol:

~Natural. With my relaxed hair I was washing, conditioining, blow drying, flat ironing and curling on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

scribblescrabble2

Bublnbrnsuga said:

The first time I went natural, it was in 99' due to crappy hair color. I was tired of relaxing, and the bad haircolor gave me the courage to cut all of my hair off.

I stayed natural until 2004, when I texturized. I hated everything about relaxing (application, rinsing, etc) and I missed my natural hair so I immediately began to transition again. I did the big chop a year later.

At this point I am finished with relaxers. I have no desire to go back, period.

I rarely straighten, maybe once a year if that at all.

I feel like my natural hair is easier to manage. It is easier to comb, I don't get the breakage I used to, I don't have to worry about doing a complex conditioning routine if I don't want to (i.e- rotating strong proteins with weaker proteins, etc), and I can style my hair and not worry about it for a week or more.