Votes: 26 22.4%
  • 2x a wk

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • more than 2x a wk

Votes: 9 7.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

honeybadgirl

i was wondering how often do you shampoo your hair? does natural hair require as much moisture as relaxed hair?:confused: i am curious about your regimen for caring for your natural hair. also, if you brush your hair, what type of brush do you use? i think i read somewhere that a boar brush should not be used on natural hair.

Cichelle

I cowash several times a week. Shampoo about once a week. I detangle with a seamless comb while in the shower w/conditioner. I very rarely use a brush, but when I do it's an Aveda paddle brush.

Bublin

I voted 1xweek. If i wear a wash n go then i'll co-wash daily and then shampoo at the end of the week.

If i'm wearing my natural twists i'll shampoo after 2 weeks.

dimpalz

I wash with shampoo about every 5 days. I wear twistouts and use moisturiser every day, I was in to COwashing but I was worried about buildup so I switched to shampooing every week. Recently I been too busy (read: lazy and too eager to watch numerous TV programs) to even wash it with shampoo. I been throwing water on it with a bit of conditioner and finger combing :blush:

Natural hair needs just as much if not more moisture - from water - than relaxed hair. I'm doing low manipulation at the moment. This involves washing my hair, brushing out, twisting and letting it dry over night then wearing the twisout for about 4-5 days. This is working for me at the moment.

I use a denman brush. I think it's a definite MUST HAVE for natural hair. It's best used on wet hair with conditioner IMO but some people have better results on dry hair. You can use a boars hair brush for smoothing it wouldn't do much for detangling or anything else tho.

honeybadgirl

thanks ladies....so would a denman brush be comparable to a paddle brush, like the aveda paddle brush? what does that type of brush(denman) do or aid in?

dimpalz

This is a denman D3, the brush I have, theres a larger one (D4) and handbag sized one (D14). I think paddle brushes have the "bobbles" on the end of the bristles, these don't. Check out https://www.denmanbrush.com/

It's a good brush because it detangles but doesn't drag out hair. I can't really tell you why it works, it really makes curls pop too, it's very popular among tha naturals.

Jadacrys

I was shampooing weekly until recently. There is a subtle difference (lack) in moisture, so I have been using co and baking soda or a clarifying co.

I try to wear protective styles, and take it down weekly. The only exception has been braids. I keep those in for about 2 weeks and was with those in.

honeybadgirl

dimpalz said:

This is a denman D3, the brush I have, theres a larger one (D4) and handbag sized one (D14). I think paddle brushes have the "bobbles" on the end of the bristles, these don't. Check out https://www.denmanbrush.com/

It's a good brush because it detangles but doesn't drag out hair. I can't really tell you why it works, it really makes curls pop too, it's very popular among tha naturals.

thanks....i'll have to definitely get that!!!! :grin:
using this brush can you actually brush thru wet curly hair and the curl still remain in tact? (is that a dumb question...:))

honeybadgirl

also what about conditioners? what are you ladies using that gives definition when wearing curly/wavy? what works for you? which ones do you find exceptionally moisturizing?
i'm an aveda girl btw:p

prettyinpurple

Silly note: I first thought this thread said "NATURALS...HOW OFTEN DO YOU POOP?" I was thinking -- just as much as everyone else I guess :perplexed

:lol:

Weekly would be ideal but it's usually every 2-3 weeks for me (I do a shampoo and conditioner then). I haven't found my HGs but I like to try diff things anyways. Right now I have: Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner and PhytoSpecific Intense Nutrition Mask.

Moisture is very important for natural hair, especially if you wear it out a lot. I use a spray (Oyin's Greg Juice), lotion (Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Milk) or heavier cream (Jane Carter Nourishing Hair Cream) every couple of days. Just depends on what my hair needs at the time.

Twists/braids are definitely a way to retain moisture as someone else mentioned.

I have used a denman brush in the past but it didn't really work for my hair. I use a wide tooth shower comb to detangle and it's great. And I finally learned to detangle in small sections which helps a lot. I also detangle BEFORE I get in the shower to wash my hair.

Last edited:

gloomgeisha

It's normally every 4 to 5 weeks for me, so about once per month. I used to wash weekly but since I've discovered that I can keep twists in for a month, I just do that and try to use as little product as possible.

honeybadgirl

prettyinpurple said:
Silly note: I first thought this thread said "NATURALS...HOW OFTEN DO YOU POOP?" I was thinking -- just as much as everyone else I guess :perplexed

:lol:
Right now I have: Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner and PhytoSpecific Intense Nutrition Mask.

:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:...to the thread comment
i wanted to try the EMB. is that really rich in moisture. maybe when i go the distributor i'll get that.

vsantina

I cowash with NTM every night, and rinse every morning. I use shampoo whenever I see its needed, and am currently using DOVE products as a leave in and curling mousse.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I used to shampoo and detangle my hair every 2 weeks when I wore two strand twists regularly, but now I've decided to wash once a week and style my hair into two buns... it's so much easier and low maintenance. I shampoo and detangle with Creme of Nature Shampoo for Dry Hair and my Jilbere Shower Comb. I water rinse or co-wash as needed (maybe twice) throughout the week. Right now, I use Aussie Moist Conditioner for co-washing. I usually use V05 Tea Therapy Conditioner.

ToyToy

I shampoo once a week with Keracare Hydrating Detangling. It's the best I have used so far, and I have just bought a big 950ml bottle! I use a Jilbere comb to detangle whilst damp (rather than wet). I only use a brush to smooth down my edges if I am wearing a puff (100% boar bristle brush).

I have yet to find a conditioner I really like, though. At the moment I mix some castor oil into my conditioners which has been doing wonders for my hair!

mkstar826

supersonic
every 2 wks or so...sometimes weekly. just depends on what my hair needs. all the products i use are in my hair album (i'm an Aveda girl too :D)

prettyinpurple

honeybadgirl said:
:lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:...to the thread comment
i wanted to try the EMB. is that really rich in moisture. maybe when i go the distributor i'll get that.

It does moisturize well. It's concentrated so you don't need much. I feel like I have had that bottle forever. But I'm being a good PJ and won't buy again til it's gone :look:

honeybadgirl

prettyinpurple said:
It does moisturize well. It's concentrated so you don't need much. I feel like I have had that bottle forever. But I'm being a good PJ and won't buy again til it's gone :look:

i will DEFINITELY try it!! you're not helping my pj-ism:p

MKSTAR....i'll check your album out, my aveda sister! i have such a pj problem. i have so much aveda stuff but i want to know how to effectively use them collectively. what works better with what, you know? :)

Last edited:

Ms Red

I poo weekly to get products out and cleanse.
I co-wash weekly in the winter and bi-weekly in the summer/spring.

As long as I'm using the right products and not too much manipulation this works. Simple is better for me. ;)

SEMO

honeybadgirl said:
thanks....i'll have to definitely get that!!!! :grin:
using this brush can you actually brush thru wet curly hair and the curl still remain in tact? (is that a dumb question...:))

I use the Conair version of this brush (cheaper--purchased at CVS) and I use it almost everytime I wash my hair. I usually run it through my hair after I put the conditioner on (to help distribute the conditioner and to finish detangling). It makes my curls "pop" by clumping them together to make the curls a little bigger ;) .

ETA: I've never had any problems using it on wet hair (to me, it works better on soaking wet hair).

honeybadgirl

SEMO said:
I use the Conair version of this brush (cheaper--purchased at CVS) and I use it almost everytime I wash my hair. I usually run it through my hair after I put the conditioner on (to help distribute the conditioner and to finish detangling). It makes my curls "pop" by clumping them together to make the curls a little bigger ;) .

ETA: I've never had any problems using it on wet hair (to me, it works better on soaking wet hair).

so it doesnt snag the hair? wow...i've been out of this loop. what this brush does is news to me!

tkj25

i no-poo my hair once a week. for no-poos i like cheap, moisturising conditioners. i switch between:

Suave BioBasics, Suave Humectant, Suave Awapuhi, Tresemme Moisture Rich, and Target Pro-Vitamin

I usually spray moisturiser on my hair & detangle--before i get into the shower--with a med/fine tooth comb, and then in the shower no-poo/detangle with a wide tooth comb. (detangling before i no-poo/shower saves on mad tangles knots for me.)

i don't use a brush on my hair. I tried the denman a while back, but all it gave me was knots:lol: I mainly fingerstyle. I save comb use for detangling -- and then only when wet.

hth

angellazette

I poo weekly but I think I'm about to go back to doing CWs and poo as needed since I rinse my hair almost everyday. I use my denman brush in the shower and I use a boar brush whenever I need to smooth my hair.

glamazon386

prettyinpurple said:

:lol: Once a week.

ETA: The Denman brush also did nothing for me. I could hear it ripping hairs out. :perplexed:

Last edited:

NantanYah

Bublin said:
I voted 1xweek. If i wear a wash n go then i'll co-wash daily and then shampoo at the end of the week.

If i'm wearing my natural twists i'll shampoo after 2 weeks.

Ditto:yep: