Naturals HELP!!!!!!

EMJazzy

Happily retired
sareca said:
Hmmm, hard to say. Hair drying quickly can mean the cuticle is closed or closing normally. That's good. It means your conditioner is staying inside (assuming it got in). When my hair was really porous it stayed wet FOREVER. Here's a quick test for porosity...

Porosity of hair is the ability of the hair to absorb liquid or moisture. It is important when doing any sort of chemical treatment that the hair is not overly porous as it can soak up the chemicals too quickly and damage the hair.

If the hair does not have the same porosity over the entire head, some areas will process too fast. An easy test for porosity is to take a lock of hair and let it float on water for two minutes. If it floats, the outer layer is healthy. If it sinks, the outer layer is too open and will allow chemicals to absorb too quickly—in this case don't process with any chemicals until treated with the proper reconstructors.

Goodness gracious....I just took this test and my hair sank straight to the bottom of the glass :cry: in less than 2 seconds :eek:

I'm 100% natural...I haven't had a relaxer in over 10 years....why is my hair so porous?????????????? :confused:

This would also explain why my hair would be bone straight in less than 2 minutes when I was getting relaxers. :ohwell:

MJ

EMJazzy said:
Goodness gracious....I just took this test and my hair sank straight to the bottom of the glass :cry: in less than 2 seconds :eek:

I'm 100% natural...I haven't had a relaxer in over 10 years....why is my hair so porous?????????????? :confused:

This would also explain why my hair would be bone straight in less than 2 minutes when I was getting relaxers. :ohwell:

Maybe your hair is naturally porous.

mkstar826

supersonic
Naturaly hair, by nature, has raised cuticles. With all the bends and coils and texture it makes it harder for the cuticle to remain flat.

Really I don't think your hair absorbing moisture is a bad thing. If you use conditioner to help close your cuticles then your hair should be fine. I can understand concern about porosity in terms of chemical or heat usage but if you aren't relaxing/texturizing or using heat all the time, I don't see how it could be that big of a problem.

Is your hair overly dry or anything? If your hair is doing okay, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Last edited:

EMJazzy

Happily retired
mkstar826 said:
Naturaly hair, by nature, has raised cuticles. With all the bends and coils and texture it makes it harder for the cuticle to remain flat.

Really I don't think your hair absorbing moisture is a bad thing. If you use conditioner to help close your cuticles then your hair should be fine. I can understand concern about porosity in terms of chemical or heat usage but if you aren't relaxing/texturizing or using heat all the time, I don't see how it could be that big of a problem.

Is your hair overly dry or anything? If your hair is doing okay, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

It's quite moisterized....I've been doing the baggie method since March and co-washing since then also...I don't use heat at all.

Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

balisi

I agree with mkstar826. Also haircolor affects porosity so it could have been caused by that. Your hair looks colored in your avatar, but I could be mistaken.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
balisi said:
I agree with mkstar826. Also haircolor affects porosity so it could have been caused by that. Your hair looks colored in your avatar, but I could be mistaken.

Nope no hair dye....grows out of my head that color.