Naturals, have I made any progress?

aevieal

I did the big chop in February of this year and loved every moment of it. I went all out and had a friend shave my hair all off so I could really have a fresh start. It's almost a year now and I feel like the progress I've made has been very, very slow. Maybe I'm being impatient but I noticed a lot of other naturals who BC around the time I did have thicker, longer hair than mines. Maybe it's shrinkage? Maybe if I blow it out I'll see the difference? I don't know. Perhaps it's because my hair doesn't grow fast or I'm doing something wrong.

It definitely FEELS healthy. It looks healthy, too! At least I think so. My family compliments me all the time and my husband absolutely loves it. Still, I can't help but wonder if the reason my hair isn't as thick as I thought it to be is because I've been making errors here and there without even realizing it. I don't shed, my hair isn't dry, and it definitely did grow ... just not as much as I thought it would.

Any opinions? What do you think? Did I make any progress?

But overall, I really love being natural. :)

Last edited:

iri9109

its definitely growing...plus one part of natural hair is the shrinkage, so you probably have even more growth than what it looks like, but you cant tell unless you stretch it out...your hair is nice and thick, and it looks soft too. as long as it feels and looks healthy, thats the most important thing...health b4 length, because its pretty hard to retain unhealthy hair, and even if you did, who wants a head full of long unhealthy hair?

Last edited:

LaFemmeNaturelle

its definitely growing...plus one part of natural hair is the shrinkage, so you probably have even more growth than what it looks like, but you cant tell unless you stretch it out...your hair is nice and thick, and it looks soft too. as long as it feels and looks healthy, thats the most important thing...health b4 length, because its pretty hair to retian unhealthy hair, and even if you did, who wants a head full of long unhealthy hair?

ITA with this. Your hair is beautiful and it's definitely grown. Focus on keeping it healthy and the length will come. It looks nice and full to me but thick strands, density is primarily genetic anyway. If it feels healthy and looks healthy then good job. Keep it up :yep:

aevieal

I'm just happy it's healthy even if it's not quite as long as I had hoped for. That's the entire reason I went natural in the first place. I assumed it was because shrinkage made it look smaller than it really is. Maybe if I did a blow out or something I can really tell the difference? Probably doesn't help that I use products that defines my curls.

Lady_q_tee

Its definatley growing, I think the problem is that you are comparing yourself to others. If your hair feels healthy and IS healthy you should just go with the flow and let it do its thing.

In addition, people who BC around the same time as you may not have SHAVED like you did and maybe did a short transition thus had more hair when they BC

You could also try growth aids such MTG or biotin to speed up growth a little bit

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
You have definitely made progress so keep it up! It looks nice, soft and healthy to me :yep: Since you stated you shaved it all off, and you now have a TWA, I say you have an average hair growth rate. Moreover, you can't really tell how long your hair has grown if you don't stretch it out.

In any case, health is always more important than length...it will come with time.

HappilyLiberal

I'm just happy it's healthy even if it's not quite as long as I had hoped for. That's the entire reason I went natural in the first place. I assumed it was because shrinkage made it look smaller than it really is. Maybe if I did a blow out or something I can really tell the difference? Probably doesn't help that I use products that defines my curls.

It's been my experience that health comes before length. When I first started taking care of my hair I was frustrated because I wasn't getting an length. My hair was definitely getting healthier. Then, all of a sudden my hair started retaining length. I would give it another year. You will likely see a huge growth spurt as long as you continue to take care of your hair, eat healthy, drink lots of water, and exercise.

Nonie

OP, your hair is growing. If it's any consolation, this was my hair at 3 inches long:

...and this was my hair a little more than 2 years later a little past SL :giggle:

Shrinkage of type 4 hair does hide progress. But one thing that is clear is how much thicker your hair looks. That's because the longer length is hidden in there. If I were you, I'd not blow it out just yet. I love surprises so I'd wait until maybe Feb next year and do it at the one-year anniversary. ;)

LovinLea

My progress seems to pale in comparison to other people who BCed the same time I did, too. But at the end of the day, my hair is growing so I don't worry about.

Cute pics, btw.

kmn1980

Emoticons don't affect me
Uhm...yeah, OP. It's growing. Looks like you almost had a bald fade when you started out and now you have a TWA.

EllePixie

It's definitely growing - I suggest pulling on a piece and stretching it to see how long it is. That's how I measure my growth, otherwise I'd think my hair didn't grow!! Gotta love shrinkage. :)

Keep up the good work!

PureSilver

OP, your hair is growing. If it's any consolation, this was my hair at 3 inches long:

...and this was my hair a little more than 2 years later a little past SL :giggle:

Shrinkage of type 4 hair does hide progress. But one thing that is clear is how much thicker your hair looks. That's because the longer length is hidden in there. If I were you, I'd not blow it out just yet. I love surprises so I'd wait until maybe Feb next year and do it at the one-year anniversary. ;)

Well this is some consolation to me because i cannot believe u said ur hair is SL, thats just awesome and 1 could never tell by just looking at ur hair in it shrunken state. I like the part where you suggested OP do a blow out on her 1yr anniversary, thats exactly my plan. April 2010 on my B/DAY will be my 1yr mark and girl i can't wait to get the shock of my life cuz i know i'm growing on strong!

FRESHstart101

OT. my last perm was in February, we're both 9 months natural :grin: ... but okay back to what your talking about lol. can you show a pic of it stretched ? shirnkage can be a btch sometimes

Simply_elle

OP: Its growing!!!

You just needed someone else to say it :D! I would enjoy my TWA for a bit....and do a real length check in March! HHG! Btw: you are so pretty!! The cut suits you..

Nonie

Well this is some consolation to me because i cannot believe u said ur hair is SL, thats just awesome and 1 could never tell by just looking at ur hair in it shrunken state. I like the part where you suggested OP do a blow out on her 1yr anniversary, thats exactly my plan. April 2010 on my B/DAY will be my 1yr mark and girl i can't wait to get the shock of my life cuz i know i'm growing on strong!

:grin: @ the bold. And it is why I love my hair, because besides the fact that it is so versatile in the styles it can hold, the shrinkage factor means the day I want to sport a short do, I don't need to cut my hair.

Three years after the 3-inch afro pic, it still looked the same shrunken...but the stretched length tells a different story (See inset for the shrunken length :p ).

I love your positive mental attitude. I'm getting excited for you about April. :yep:

nysister

You're certainly making progress. It's evident.

Those are awesome pictures! You look so pretty, and what a cute couple you two are.

lovely_locks

If you do decide to blow out your hair share the pics with us! Also you should take a pic of you pulling/stretching a coil of hair to see/show the real length.

aevieal

Haha, thank you ladies for all the tips and responses. I guess I just felt a little bummed that my progress wasn't the same as others. I should stop comparing myself to other people and just be happy I've managed to make it this far. I am going to wait until my year anniversary approaches before I stretch it or blow it out to check to see how much it's grown.