Naturals: Flexi-Rod Set?

caligirl

How can I do a flexi-rod set on my natural hair? I am aiming for a 3c look. What color rollers do I use? How many sections do I need to make?

foxybrownsugar

I plan to do this all summer. I bought 1 pack of the orange 10" so far. They have smaller and larger ones but i don't want my curls to be too small or too large. I also bought loreal vive smooth intense anti frizz cream which i have been using on my twists and braids. It's okay, but the other day I bought pantene curl defining comb in treatment to see how it does. Today, i'm going to pick up 2 more packs of flex rollers and some pantene curl defining conditioner for CO's and maybe some other pantene curl defining products. If these products don't work, I will experiment with different ones (curly products) until I get it right. Maybe someone will tell what they use to achieve this look.

Last edited:

thickness

I usually twist my hair first and then set it on the green colored flexi-rods. Once its dry, I untwist and separate. To maintain, I retwist every other day, but instead of using the flexi-rod on the ends, I bantu-knot my twists.

ArizonaBeauty

thickness said:
I usually twist my hair first and then set it on the green colored flexi-rods. Once its dry, I untwist and separate. To maintain, I retwist every other day, but instead of using the flexi-rod on the ends, I bantu-knot my twists.

I'm not natural but that sounds like a very good idea. I'm going to try that.

caligirl

Ok, it sounds like green or orange rollers would work best. Do I need to make like a million sections? I was thinking of putting my hair into 4 ponytails then just putting flexirods in the ends of the ponytails.

thickness

caligirl said:
Ok, it sounds like green or orange rollers would work best. Do I need to make like a million sections? I was thinking of putting my hair into 4 ponytails then just putting flexirods in the ends of the ponytails.

No, don't do the 4 ponytails, you will end up with a old fashioned rollerset(mine was not cute, looked very old timey)...more sections=more defined, curlier look. My hair is very thick, so I use 20-30 medium sized twists. My sister's hair is not as thick, so she uses 30-40 small twists.

loonatick

so are these flexi rods easier to use then normal rollers (magnetic)? because ive tried to rollerset and it aint never gonna happen. I think i may invest in some.....:look:

BK Bombshell

thickness said:

I did this too for a while and it worked out well. I washed my hair, added some Sebastian Molding Mud (just a little) and Kemi Oil or Aveda Humectant Pomade and then I did small double stranded twists. Afterwards I set them on about a dozen orange flexirods all over my head. It turns out really curly and cute. Just tie it up at night and fluff it out in the mornings. HTH.