"Natural Woman/Natural Hair"... heard?

Sweetyb

\"Natural Woman/Natural Hair\"... heard?

Has anyone heard of it? Here's the link to the author's website: http://www.tkeyah.com/crystalshop.htm

She's the same lady who's on that show "That's So Raven" (staring Raven Simone on the Disney Channel), and was the teacher on the last Cosby Show series... and used to be on In Living Color.

I just love how she wears her hair and it looks like she's been natural for a good long time.

I've been online on B&N.COM and Amazon.com looking for natural hair care books. Thing is, I've been natural for 3 years and don't need a "transitioning" book. I feel I already know how to care for my hair and it's growing pretty well. But what my dillema's been for the past few weeks is that I want to think of new styles to do on myself and hate redundancy. I'm the type who wants to change up every week.

So, when I finally found this lady's website, I've been wanting to get her book. But because I like to read other people's opinions, I went to those websites and saw no comments. I called 2 b&n's and they said they don't carry it anymore. Now, I'm hoping atleast one person's bought it here on the boards?

Otherwise.... I'm buying it anyway from her website!!
I really can't wait!

pressncurl

Re: \"Natural Woman/Natural Hair\"... heard?

This looks like a really good book for styles (judging from the excerpts slide show). Have you checked to see if one of your local bookstores has it or even the public library? If so, I would go and flip through it a bit more before deciding to purchase it. On her website it's $20, and that seems a little steep to me.

Sweetyb

I'm getting it as a b-day gift in the mail! Whoo hoo! I can't wait to get it. It's only 100 pages though, but she lists so many styles in it--I'll be sure to let you all know how beneficial the book is or isn't!

Sweetyb

Okay, I got it... and I LOVE it!
I was impressed with how fast it came (within a week) and she autographed it, and wrote a letter as well. I felt it was personalized. But ANYway, the pictures are breathtaking... they are so better than the small black and whites you get with other books--they're huge, in color, and plentiful! And she tells you what you should put in your hair for certain styles and what type of hair the style will work with! She also has some hair info and her own hair experiences on the first few pages, but the rest is dedicated to style, after style, after style...

I love it, but I still have yet to re-a-d it (her hair stories). I just went straight to the styles and her supplies & routine lists. You know, you guys may even recognize some of the models (don't wanna give it away on the boards, though). I love how she has pictures of each step of the styling process and how many of her models have medium-lenght hair (and she does too). It's time for styles for the longer-haired natural croud!
Another thing I appreciated was how up do date the styles are. I can't count how many times I would flip through my hair Bible "Let's Talk Hair" just turned off by the hair styles, like they were taken in the '80s or something.

I'm awaiting a Part II, where she can show "every-day" styles, and also styles on her presently longer hair!

NOTE: You all should check her out on the hit series "That's so Raven" on the Disney Channel to check out T'Keyah's latest hair styles and hair lenght!

-To all who have natural hair and want to know more styles-

asummertyme

i love natural hair...i think it is sooo beautiful!!
i know i tend to stare some times well ok alot of the times at beautiful hair but i cant help it ....i love it natural relaxed ....anyway as long as it is healthy and beautiful i admire it!! so if your ever in newyork and you see a station agent in the train station staring at your hair...it may be me...lol...but im just enjoying your tresses!!
asummertyme

Sweetyb

Same here, hair is always best when it looks good! What kind of hair do you have?

ricochet

It is a wonderful book to have! I bought it and I love it! She gives great detail and her pictures are so big and so clear! I don't want to spoil it for you so I will shut up.:)

Peachi

Is this book for those with locks? Because when I went to the "excerpts" area, all I saw were dread styles.

Does she have styles for regular natural hair (no locks)?

happylocks

I remember her, her hair looks great, I though it was locks, in one photo her hair seems to be pressed out, I would be a hair style book with directions for AA hair, since thats hard for me to find, $20 is not too much, ifs the styles are something I can wear, and enjoy learning

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
Peachi said:
Is this book for those with locks? Because when I went to the "excerpts" area, all I saw were dread styles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes the book has loc styles and free natural hair styles.

I LOVE IT!! It is one my natural hair "bibles". On another site we got to have a live chat with her. I ordered her book and she will autograph it for you too!

It has so MANY styles. If you are a natural girl and you think that our hair cannot be versitile...her book will prove you wrong.

She also discusses the products she uses and she has a couple of interviews with the models in the book too.

You will definitely enjoy it!

Peachi

Thank you pookeyou...I will try to look online to place an order.

B

Bublnbrnsuga

I've tried locating this book myself. Thanks for the insight on it-I will order it,soon.

Sweetyb

[ QUOTE ]
Peachi said:

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, I was going to write her about that. But the sample pics actually show the Table of Contents, which lists over 20 styles. There are a few for locks, but the majority of the styles are done on natural headed models/entertainers.

Sweetyb

[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
I LOVE IT!! It is one my natural hair "bibles". I ordered her book and she will autograph it for you too!

It has so MANY styles. If you are a natural girl and you think that our hair cannot be versitile...her book will prove you wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still enjoy the book, enough for me to happen to be on her website (again) to see she was having a 25% off sale when I already have the book
. Her book was what inspired me to learn how to do flat twists, and I ended up going flat-twist-crazy last fall
. Next I'm gonna try try those cute comb spun twists.

And aren't the pictures beautiful!

pookeylou

[ QUOTE ]
Sweetyb said:
[ QUOTE ]
pookeylou said:
I LOVE IT!! It is one my natural hair "bibles". I ordered her book and she will autograph it for you too!

[/ QUOTE ]

I still enjoy the book, enough for me to happen to be on her website (again) to see she was having a 25% off sale when I already have the book
. Her book was what inspired me to learn how to do flat twists, and I ended up going flat-twist-crazy last fall
. Next I'm gonna try try those cute comb spun twists.

And aren't the pictures beautiful!

[/ QUOTE ]

Simply Gorgeous!

I plan on doing a "Pookies Homage to Tekeyah" when my natural hair gets longer.
My bedroom color is VERY similar to the color of her book. So I want to do a pictorial salute to her by copying her poses (see my salute to Seoul album! Hey imitation is the greatest form of flattery!)

Sweetyb

I didn't see the pic you were referring to (or maybe I did and thought it was you, lol), but I saw your wall color--girl, just a few more months and you should have enough growth to pull that off

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

I have been putting off ordering this book for a long time. I finnally ordered it on Friday. I couldn't pass up the "25% off imperfect covers" sale.

It arrived yesterday. The pictures are BEAUTIFUL!

Sweetyb

@ Sassygirl125! I wish I had that offer, girl. The pictures are motivation enough for me to keep my natural texture. There are just so many styles to do!

prettykitty

I have the book too! And I think it's a great book. It shows so many styles and all pics are large and in full color. It's beautifull. I got the 25% offer too and she signed the book for me
I luuuuuuv her book!

Sweetyb

lol, she's had some interesting hair experiences
I never thought of how they view our hair in the entertainment industry. Makes me appreciate shows like the old Cosby show where, for the most part, the girls kept their hair in their own natural styles...