Natural Trying to Bun!

momi

Hi Ladies, I have hair that is barely shoulder length. I would like to bun to protect my ends on the weeks that I dont flat iron. Can anyone suggest something to keep my hair slicked back but is not drying?

Elasta QP Mango Butter is good for that, I cant say its not drying though, not as bad as a gel though , but over time it can be somewhat, should be fine if you moisturize that area you use it on along with it

I haven't figured out how to do it on loose hair yet. If I put my hair in two strand twists (they are pretty chunky ones, too) I can pull it off.

Hi Ladies, I have hair that is barely shoulder length. I would like to bun to protect my ends on the weeks that I dont flat iron. Can anyone suggest something to keep my hair slicked back but is not drying?

Myself and a couple of ladies use Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera gel. I've never had a drying problem using it.

IC Fantasia Olive Oil Gel (in green jar) it holds w/o drying. If I am using it daily to slick my hair down I usually rinse on day 3 to avoid build up.

I wet my hair and apply suave coconut conditioner, then I slap on some EcoStyler gel. This gel makes my hair slick as hell :grin: and there is not a frizz anywhere in sight

I like some of the other ladies use Aloe Gel but I have to used IC Thick N Shine Gel by Fantasia around the front edges. I have different textures so I have to use something a little stronger than Aloe Gel around my front edges. This gel does not get hard either because I cowashed everynight and a it rinses out very easy no residue. I also wrap my edges with the wrap paper and then a silk scarf.

Fruit of the Earth aloe vera gel is what I use to slick my hair back, Fantasia was drying to my hair, but the aloe ver gel keeps fly-a-ways in place and it's easy to wash out.

I'm assuming that you're doing your bun on dry hair and not wet hair...?

I say that because I always do my bun on wet hair. I had been using Giovanni Direct Leave-in and coconut oil. I just started using Suave Tropical Coconut (I conditioner wash with it but just don't rinse it all the way out...I leave most of it in my hair just as I would any leave-in product) cuz I just happen to have a big bottle of it that I haven't used.

Anyways I find that regardless of the product I use, it's the technique for me that keeps my hair lying down flat in my bun. By technique, I mean because I brush my hair into a bun while its soaking wet in the shower with conditioner...I even put my scrunchie in while I'm in the shower AND tie it down with a scarf. The conditioner and brushing while soaking wet (along with the weight of the running water from the shower)...and tying the scarf down immediately after bunning...seem to really "seal the deal" for me...once I take my scarf off like 15 minutes later, my hair stays flat the rest of the day.

(Details in my regimen here:
http://public.fotki.com/shortiedowop/hair_album/that_was_then/my-regimen/ )

Even if you're doing a bun on damp/dry hair I'd suggest tying it down with a scarf and seeing if that helps any. Who knows...you may not need much product to help you with "keeping your bun slicked down" if you do that.

HTH...let us know how it goes...:drunk:

Thank you ladies for all of the replies!

I am going to do some experimenting this weekend considering all of the product and technique suggestions. :yep::yep:

Back