Natural misconceptions....

naturalgurl

I bit this off of BHM and found it interesting. What misconceptions did you have about going natural before you went natural? Here's mine: I thought the only way I could wear my hair was in a puff or fro(wash and go). I had no thoughts of roller sets, twist/braid outs or even wearing buns. I figured my hair would be too nappy to comb and style. So what was your myth that got busted when you went natural?

i 2nd everything u said and add i thought nappy didnt mean any type of curly and now i c they r one in the same well for me

Baically, I thought I would have a lot more issues than I have. Knots, tangles, shrinkage, reversion, and all that other stuff either doesn't happen to me or doesn't bother me like I expected.

Honestly, I thought my hair would be easier to handle, which isn't the case. I thought I could do wash n' go's, which isn't the case. I thought a flat iron would be able to get my hair relaxer straight, hasn't been the case so far.

I wasn't sure what to expect, I tried going natural before it was very ugly I didn't know that my natural hair was curly and I didn't know there were products to help bring out your natural curl or things you can do to make your hair look so cute. or that you can comb your hair out without it hurting when its wet. Yeah for that.

I've been natural for most of my life, but I thought finding hair care boards would make taking care of my hair easier. :look:

I thought it would be easier and I could wash and go everyday without detangling and that it would grow much faster and you didnt have to do as much work to it as relaxed hair..

I thought:

that I would have bouncy 3b-3c curls
that my hair would not ever fro
that I could just use a little oil (maybe some juices and berries lol)
that it would be easier to take care of

I thought it would be easy to find products my natural hair likes. Wrong
I thought it would be hard to detangle my hair. Its actually much easier.
I thought I would get a ton of knots on the ends. Only when I do twistouts.
I thought it now grown back quick after the big chop. It is growing at a nice rate and without growth aids.
I thought my texture would be just like my roots when I was transitioning. Its actually thicker , less curly and more frizzy.
I thought my roots wouldn't get as straight as when i texlaxed or relxed. Wrong my roots get very straight when I flat iron.

Wow, so many different things and the funny thing is, some of these that people thought true is not true for some. I thought it would be harder to take care of natural hair but it's not as hard as I thought...as long as I don't try to keep it straight. It's stressful for me to try and maintain a straightened look, care free to just let it curl up or ball up, whichever you prefer. It's just that people might not like to look at it...so what.

I thought it would be easier.

I was "so done" with the chemical process that I thought having unprocessed hair would be easier and require less work. Though I spend more time and money on my natural hair (slight product junkie), I enjoy my hair more.

I didn't think about shrinkage. I too thought it would grow faster and I thought it would be a carefree (like the jherri curl juice) life. :ohwell:

Honestly, I thought my hair would be easier to handle, which isn't the case. I thought I could do wash n' go's, which isn't the case. I thought a flat iron would be able to get my hair relaxer straight, hasn't been the case so far.

:ohwell: Well you sure are discouraging! So are you relaxed now or what? Did you realize all of this AFTER your BC or during your transition.

I'm gonna try for the 3rd time to try to transition but isnt it harder to guage misconceptions until after you actually BC to get the full effect?

:ohwell: Well you sure are discouraging! So are you relaxed now or what? Did you realize all of this AFTER your BC or during your transition.

I'm gonna try for the 3rd time to try to transition but isnt it harder to guage misconceptions until after you actually BC to get the full effect?

haha I have a love hate relationship with my hair.:look: I really liked when my hair was twa length. I've been natural for almost 2 years, and I feel like with every added inch, it gets harder to manage. My hair is thick and 4bz.

I broke down and bought a relaxer two weeks ago when phyto was having its sale. But now I realize, even though my hair is harder to manage, I can't see myself relaxing it anytime soon. I want to make it another year natural.

haha I have a love hate relationship with my hair.:look: I really liked when my hair was twa length. I've been natural for almost 2 years, and I feel like with every added inch, it gets harder to manage. My hair is thick and 4bz.

I broke down and bought a relaxer two weeks ago when phyto was having its sale. But now I realize, even though my hair is harder to manage, I can't see myself relaxing it anytime soon. I want to make it another year natural.

You got a fotki? It's so hard to tell what your hair will be like while transitioning until u clip the ends. I got so excited to see my napps at 23 weeks post until i had to run a comb through it and try to style it with bone straight hair. I got frustrated and relaxed.

I'm gonna be pissed if i can't wash and go and do a slick back puff and some twists, etc. I really am. Cause i can't wait to buy me a jar of Fantasia gel. :yep:

1. I thought going natural was going to be a piece of cake.
2. I thought the whole curly look was going to be easy.
3. I did not know I was going to be running through different products like crazy.
4. I didn't know I was going to have SO MUCH HAIR!
5. I didn't know it was going to take at least 2 hours to straighten my hair.
6. I did not know that your curls can still loosen up, even if you are natural.
7. I did not know that curls can loosen up with heat damage...

I can go on and on and on...

I thought:

I would have little styling versatility (just a daily fro or braids)
I would be free of worrying about split ends and thinning... WRONG!!!!!
My hair was a lot kinkier and coarser than it actually is (I thought I was 4z, when I'm 3c with some 4a)
I wouldn't be able to obtain noticeable length.
I'd have trouble in professional settings or find it hard to get a job because of my hair.
I'd always be the lone natural among my friends and family (now almost all are happy nappy).
I might one day consider going back to the perm. So WRONG!!!!!!

I bit this off of BHM and found it interesting. What misconceptions did you have about going natural before you went natural? Here's mine: I thought the only way I could wear my hair was in a puff or fro(wash and go). I had no thoughts of roller sets, twist/braid outs or even wearing buns. I figured my hair would be too nappy to comb and style. So what was your myth that got busted when you went natural?

I totally thought that I wouldn't even be able to comb or contain my hair. I remember telling a friend that I wasn't going to relax my hair and she was like, well how are you going to make it look presentable :ohwell: Its a shame how brainwashed we are.

I thought it would be hard to take care of (I'm still amazed at how much easier it is to be natural)
I thought I would look funny.

I used to think that natural hair could only thrive with special 'for natural hair' products. And that things used by whites or those who relax wouldn't work. I'm glad I don't believe that anymore.

1. I thought going natural was going to be a piece of cake.
2. I thought the whole curly look was going to be easy.
3. I did not know I was going to be running through different products like crazy.
4. I didn't know I was going to have SO MUCH HAIR!
5. I didn't know it was going to take at least 2 hours to straighten my hair.
6. I did not know that your curls can still loosen up, even if you are natural.
7. I did not know that curls can loosen up with heat damage...

I can go on and on and on...

I thought that I would have naturally well-defined, 3B curls because that's how my new growth used to be. I immediately found out that that wasn't true. Springy, sproingy 4a for me. :)

When I went natural about 10 years ago, I never thought that natural hair could get damaged. I thought the dry, frizzy, crackly tumbleweed I had on my head was my normal texture:blush:.
It wasn't until after I relaxed it the first time that I saw that it was really going on.

the misconceptions I had of natural hair was when I firsssssssssst BC back in 03. I thought it would be very easy to only find out that the first year was more of a psychological change and acceptance other than anything else.

I had to deal with a lot of unecessary comments from relatives and friends.

I never thought scab hair was something I could encounter but I did. I remember my hair not reacting to any freaking product I would put on it. It would just stick in the air and raise the middle finger at me every time I would try to style it.

I thought that the products I used on my permed hair would work on my natural hair. So what did I do ? Threw a lot of them away or gave them away.

My biggest misconception was that my whole head would have the same texture.... WOW was I wrong I think I have everything from 3b to 4b in my head

Back