Natural lines:the good and the Bad and the Overrated

Kindheart

List what You Like and Dont like of the product lines you ve tried
I ll start :
Anita Grant
Good:
Whipped butter 8/10 Love it!
Cafe late (don't like the coffee cocoa smell though) 8/10
Shampoo Bar cleanse fairly well although it leaves a gummy feeling when u rinse it off .
Rhassoul cubes-quite good a very good conditioner 8/10
Bad:
Andiroba Oil -got rancid very quickly 2/10
Coconut whipped butter-doesnt smell like coconut got rancid within 3 months after purchase and very greasy. 5/10
Black Vanilla Oil-smells of Black pepper !!?4/10
Vanilla OIl_doesnt really smell of vanilla and I don't know where she got the review from her website from claiming that oil smells Amazing.Nah not really .and the price is outrageous for a small 60ml bottle!

All in all not a bad line but definetley overrated if you read the raving reviews.

Oyin:

Whipped butter:good consistency ,terrible cocoa smell 6/10
Burnt sugar:its a good product keeps frizz at bay but the smell of caramel/toffee is too strong and linger allll day.7/10
Greg Juice-dont see the hype ,defintley overrated ,made my hair crunchy.4/10
Honeywash:nothing special 3/10

Komaza:
Olve Mask -love this stuff !smells great and make my hair soft and moisturized 8/10
Califa spray -its quite moisturizing but again smells like toffee.6 1/2
Coconut Curl leave in -very good keep hair soft and smells lovely 8/10

Darcy:
Cocunut aloe moisturizer_-very hydrating ,smells a lot of Aloe which I don't really llike much 7/10
Vanilla Twisting creme-Good and doesn't make my hair sticky 7/10

Last edited:
Afroveda: Decently priced line but needs better customer service

Cocolatte Chocolate Mask: This is my favorite butter. Its very moisturizing and it smells heavily of chocolate. It tends to separate though.
Totally Twisted Ginger Almond: This one wasn't so bad. Not very memorable.
Coconut Moisture Milk: A waste of time. There isn't any slip and isn't moisturizing at all.
Holy Basil Moisturizing Hair: This is my favorite product from them and it needs a bit of doctoring. It can be kinda think so I loosen it with water but will move onto doing that with aloe vera gel.
Carrot Seed Shampoo Bar I didn't like this because it really stripped my hair.
PUR Whipped Gelly I don't love this but I like it. It has a nice scent to it and it offers a nice soft hold.

Qhemet Biologics: One of my favorite line but had to be moved away from because of the prices and the lack of size options.

Amla & Olive Heavy Cream: I loved this was for twists and it offered great moisture. Very, very thick
Burdock Root Butter Cream: Much lighter than the AOHC, this is great for wash and gos. It always left my hair moisturized.
Olive & Honey Hydrating Balm I got shine like nothing ever seen with this. Don't really remember it being all that moisturizing but I always had bling bling hair with it.
Honeybush Tea Soft Gel Typical natural gel. Moisturizing without much hold.

Oyin: Not much experience with this line but don't remember being to impressed.

Greg Juice: It was just ok, nothing to really write home about.
Burnt Sugar Pomade" You will get some nice shine but for some reason it always turned grainy and I hated that.

Karen Body Beautiful - I don't get the hype

Karen Body Beautiful Hair Milk - To me is really overrated. It was not moisturizing enough for me at all.

Last edited:
So far Qhemet's Burdock Root Cream and Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee are the only two natural products that I will purchase consistently. The CTDG leaves my hair so freaking soft and does a fabulous of job of moisturizing my ends and taking away tangles. Still haven't used it to comb out DRY hair though, which is what I originally bought it for, but I will one day.

There's another line that I'm not going to speak on just yet, because I'm giving the gel another couple of tries before I say anything. I want to make absolutely sure it's not breaking off my hair like I thought it was. I'm leaning towards Abba's Detox Shampoo, because I stopped using the gel for awhile, but have noticed that every time I use this shampoo (which isn't often) I see breakage.

Last edited:
Hi Ladies,
Great post!
O.k., here's my take on what I have tried:

Shescentit:

Coco creme leave-in: Loveeeeeeeeeeee it, love the smell, it's kind of coconut and coco butter combo, after wash or co-wash I apply to wet hair and my hair air dries sooooooooooo soft.

Seyani butter: I have the sugar cookie fragrance, love it, it's really whipped to perfection and it's light on the hair it doesn't weigh it down.
Waiting for a sale because there are a couple more items I want to purchase and restock up on what I have.
Shipping was really good it was like 5 to 7 days I cannot remember but I know that I got it quick.
I had made a mistake on the fragrance when I ordered and I caught it when I got my confirmation email. I emailed them about the error and within one hour I had a response and the error was corrected.

Oyin

Shine and Define: my husband loves it for retwisting his locks, I didn't like it as much for my hair it was kind of chalky.

Honey hemp : Love it makes your hair feel really soft, I use it as a pre-poo and also as a leave-in. I initially ordered the 16oz., and I am so glad that I did.

Burnt sugar pomade: was really excited because of all the hype, I waited two weeks to get it from oyin........I used it once and now it sits on my beauty stand.....it's great for laying down ends but that caramel smell:nono::nono::nono::nono::nono: I just could not take, it was just to overpowering for me, my husband and our daughter.

I got the burnt sugar pomade from oyin, it took two weeks, but, I have read that shipping is much better now and it takes less time to receive your order.

The honey hemp and the shine and define I ordered from Curlmart I received my order within four days.

Qhemet

Loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

Burdock root creme: I am 3c/4a, this is thinner than the amla and olive creme, I like it, it's light but for me I prefer the amla and olive creme, when I used it it kind of left my ends a little dry.

Amla and olive creme:what can I say, it is the bestttttttttttttttttt! I cannot be without this product. I took a hint from Empressri( she is on youtube as well as this forum), she said in her youtube video to mix a little amla and olive creme with a little olive and honey balm and apply in sections) Thank You, Empressri:grin::grin::grin::grin:.....now I do this on wet or semi-dry after a wash or co-wash, I either twist or roller set with satin rollers and OMGOOOOOOOODNESSSSSSSSSS!!!!! My hair is not only moisturized but feels like butter and holds my rollerset for 3 to four days when I sleep with a satin bonnet at night.

Olive and honey balm: Like honey, leaves your hair shiny as well as moisturized when used with the amla and olive creme.

All three items have a nice citrus smell.

I couldn't wait to order so I went to Back to the Natural Land here in NY and purchased it there, they seem to get a fresh shipment every Wednesday from her and my advice is to call ahead they will hold stuff for you if you will be there in an hour or two, because they sell out quick.

Oh, if you are stretching your relaxer because my hair is relaxed, the recipe with the amla and olive, olive and honey balm mix will make stretching a breeze, I am going into my third month and no problems.

Hope this helps! Let's keep this thread going.

Lol, Rufus12

it's all subjective. what one head may love another may hate so....
True ,but based on other people with a similar hair type you can find the products that works for you,also giving heads up about smells and prices always help .
You ve tried loads of products yourself and give tips on what works for your hair aswell.

True ,but based on other people with a similar hair type you can find the products that works for you,also giving heads up about smells and prices always help .
You ve tried loads of products yourself and give tips on what works for your hair aswell.

I agree completely. If it had not been for some of the comments about the products here on LHCF and your(@Empressri) reviews on youtube I would not have purchased most of the products that I have now from Natural companies. So thanks to you and the ladies on this forum I now have a large stock of items that not only work for my hair, but also my husband and daughter's hair.:yep:

Karens body beautiful hair milk wasnt moisturizing
Carols daughter didnt like hair milk, rosemary poo, hair balm
Aubrey organics honey suckley rose conditoner felt moisturizing but couldnt handle the smell
Oyin hand made Juices and Berries dried my hair out
Whipped butter i agree had a nice consistency but did nothin for my hair
Giovanni smooth as silk poo/conditoner didnt like

For some reason most natural products dont work for me.

I love qhemet's products but afroveda was a disappointment. The cocolatte smelled so good but when out in the heat it smelled like sour milk but I like the twisted ginger.

Oyin-Greg Juice: Nothing to write home about. Smells good.

Curl Junkie- Banana and Hibiscus Deep Fix Conditioner: I'm on my third jar. I just wish it came in a bigger size. Kind of odd how it's banana but it smells like bubble gum.

Curl Junkie-Curl Fuel: Waste o' cash.

My Honey Child-Olive You Deep Conditioner: I like it. The texture was better than I expected. I will more than likely order again.

AO GPB: I don't like the consistency of it. To get my whole head, I literally have to use the whole bottle and sit there for twenty minutes slathering it on. I only use it once every so often.

The Good

Oyin's Juices- They keep my hair soft and moisturized
Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner- Love the smell, can't get out the shower until I use some. My hair is easy to detangle and it leaves it soft.
Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose Conditioner- The mother of conditioners, leaves it super soft. I use it to condition and DC.
Qhemet Detangling Ghee- Another winner, detangles my hair and leaves a light cocoa scent behind
Qhemet Burdock Root- light moisturizer, keeps my hair soft, and it has a nice, light scent
Kinky Curly Curling Custard- does what it says if you follow the directions to a "t"

The Bad

Carol's Daughter Hair Milk- I can't get past the scent. And when I did, it left my hair dry and crunchy.
Pantene R&N Conditioner- left my hair feeling coated

The Overrated
Hairveda SitriNillah DC- Didn't condition my hair very well.
Hairveda Whipped Clouds- it was just okay
Hairveda Vatika Frosting- I thought this was just okay too. I have some Dabur Vatika Coconut Oil that works just as well and is much cheaper so I ended up giving this to a friend.

Type 4a/3c, fine, BSL close to MBL

Good:

• Oyin Whipped Pudding (my favorite daily moisturizer)
  • Oyin Shine and Define
  • Hairveda Whipped Jelly
  • Hairveda moisture spray
  • Avalon Organics shampoos and conditioners
  • Giovanni shampoos and conditioners and the leave-in
  • Kinky Curly Curly Custard (my favorite gel)
  • Kinky Curly Knot Today (my favorite leave-in)
  • Aubrey Organics GPB conditioner
  • Jessicurl Deep Conditioner (my favorite deep conditioner)

The Bad:

• Hairveda Vatika Frosting (for me, very greasy)
  • Hairveda conditioners (didn't do much, greasy--perhaps the coconut oil doesn't agree with me, went bad quickly)
  • Qhemet Amla and Olive (made my hair greasy...gonna get rid of it soon...)
  • Aubrey Organics shampoos and some conditioners go bad super quickly
  • Kinky Curly pomade (why did I buy it anyway lol? Didn't do much and got funky smelling quickly)

The Overrated/OK:

• Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner (nothing special for me)
  • Hairveda Whipped Ends cream
  • Kinky Curly hair spray
  • Jessicurl Rockin' Ringlets and all the other gels (stopped "working" after a while)

Still judging the Shea Moisture Line so not going to categorize just yet...

Love:

Shescetit Coco Creme leave in
Shescentit Avocado conditioner, makes detagenling a breeze slip city
Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle and Rose conditioner
hydrathermalNaturals Growth lotion, does the job but still looking for a better alternative
Jane Carter nourish and shine, a little goes a long way but regular Shea butter is just as good

Hate:

Hairveda everything
shesentit butters, my hair hates coconut oil though. It does give a great shine and is a great value for the price.

4a/b relaxed transitioning to natural

Pretty Good

Jane Carter Nourish and Shine--love the smell...does what it's supposed to do. It's a little too expensive though so I just stick with shea butter instead. I use Jane Carter for those special days though.

Kinky Curly Curling Custard--THE BOMB. Just simply works for me and does what it claims...which is a rarity in the curl gel business. I just wish it was cheaper. (sigh)

Hairveda Vatika Frosting--Love it. One of my staples especially in the winter months when I'm flat ironing. Gives shine and helps nourish my hair.

Millcreek Botanicals Jojoba oil shampoo--Love it, it was one of my staples for a while...it's just hard to find it where I live so I don't use it much anymore...but it's good stuff.

Not so good...

Carol's daughter anything--doesn't work for me

Qhemet Amla and Olive heavy cream--too heavy for me...made my hair feel greasy

Qhemet honeybush tea soft hold gel--way too soft for me...I need something a little more heavy duty.

Hairveda Almond Glaze--Ehhh...it was ok...I'm not fond of the smell that may be why I haven't used it much.

Yeah but I've learned something in trying products and seeing folks with similar hair types using things. Sometimes you just have to try it to know if you'll love it or hate it. Sometimes it doesn't just boil down to hair type in a factor of whether something will work for you or not and I try to explain stress that.

That's why I still tell folks, don't only take my word, you have to see xyz for yourself.

Mostly 4a with some 3c randomly thrown in

The Good:
Kinky Curly Knot Today (HolyGrail Product)
Kinky Curly Curling Custard (HolyGrail Product)
Kinky Curly Gloss Pomade
Jessicurl Gentle Lather Shampoo (cleans but does not strip the hair)
Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Restorative Shampoo (cleans but does not strip) and Conditioner
Shea Moisture Raw Shea Deep Treatment Masque (HolyGrail Product)
Aubrey Organic Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner
Giovanni Smooth as silk Conditioner (HolyGrail product when doing conditioner only styling)
Henna and Indigo from Mehandi.com (HolyGrail Product)

The Bad:
Aubrey Organic Honeysuckle Rose Shampoo (Brillo pad hair)
Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo (brillo pad hair)
Carol's Daughter Hair milk (dry, greasy and waxy hair all at the same time)
Komaza Care Moku Butter (made hair crispy feeling)

The So-so/overrated:
Oyin's Jucies and Berries (awful fruity smell and a bit drying)
The entire Komaza Care Califa line (I would love to finally try it on my hair, but that loud butterscotch smell keeps turning me off)
Giovanni Direct Leave-in (meh. sometimes I like it sometimes I don't)

Yeah but I've learned something in trying products and seeing folks with similar hair types using things. Sometimes you just have to try it to know if you'll love it or hate it. Sometimes it doesn't just boil down to hair type in a factor of whether something will work for you or not and I try to explain stress that.

That's why I still tell folks, don't only take my word, you have to see xyz for yourself.

ITA! this is how pj's get started. They see someone with hair that "looks" like theirs, then bugs the heck outta them to figure out what they are using. Only AFTER they spend a bunch of money, do they find out that THEIR hair just doesn't like whatever product for whatever reason :wallbash: thus product grave yards and wasted cash. unfortunately I have learned this lesson myself the hard way...............NEVER AGAIN! :nono: Now that I KNOW what stuff my hair likes ( butters, aloe, gentle shampoos ) and what it doesn't, I can keep so much more cash in my pocket, and not waste it on trying the "next" holy grail product that someone is raving about.

List what You Like and Dont like of the product lines you ve tried
I ll start :
Anita Grant
Good:
Whipped butter 8/10 Love it!
Cafe late (don't like the coffee cocoa smell though) 8/10
Shampoo Bar cleanse fairly well although it leaves a gummy feeling when u rinse it off .
Rhassoul cubes-quite good a very good conditioner 8/10
Bad:
Andiroba Oil -got rancid very quickly 2/10
Coconut whipped butter-doesnt smell like coconut got rancid within 3 months after purchase and very greasy. 5/10
Black Vanilla Oil-smells of Black pepper !!?4/10
Vanilla OIl_doesnt really smell of vanilla and I don't know where she got the review from her website from claiming that oil smells Amazing.Nah not really .and the price is outrageous for a small 60ml bottle!

All in all not a bad line but definetley overrated if you read the raving reviews.

Oyin:

Whipped butter:good consistency ,terrible cocoa smell 6/10
Burnt sugar:its a good product keeps frizz at bay but the smell of caramel/toffee is too strong and linger allll day.7/10
Greg Juice-dont see the hype ,defintley overrated ,made my hair crunchy.4/10
Honeywash:nothing special 3/10

Komaza:
Olve Mask -love this stuff !smells great and make my hair soft and moisturized 8/10
Califa spray -its quite moisturizing but again smells like toffee.6 1/2
Coconut Curl leave in -very good keep hair soft and smells lovely 8/10

Darcy:
Cocunut aloe moisturizer_-very hydrating ,smells a lot of Aloe which I don't really llike much 7/10
Vanilla Twisting creme-Good and doesn't make my hair sticky 7/10

I agree. I ordered Oyin thinking it would work miracles because of the review, the Juices and Berries don't do anything for my hair except make it smell good.

Burnt Sugar- I'm still on the fence about, simply because I don't know how to use it? Should I use it to seal or moisturize with? It left my hair kind of hard like wax would. :ohwell:

Ok, i'm not at home. So, I may be a little off with some of the product names. i'm 4b, fine/medium strands, medium density. I am transitioning, almost 1 yr post. I wear my hair straight almost all the time.
As u will see-my hair doesn't like most products:lachen:

Carols Daughter
Khoret Amen Moisturizer- Didn't do much for my hair. My mother doesn't really like the smell. It doesn't bother me. I just don't think its an aggressive enought moisturizer for my hair type

Some of Maguerites Magic-Better than the above. But still just doesn't leave my hair feeling particularly moist

Khoret Amen Oil- I like this oil. But then, my hair likes almost any oil. It is kind of a medium to slightly heavy oil for me. Again, my mother doesn't like the smell. I think it has sage or something in it. But it doesn't bother me.

Tui Shea and jOjoba oil spray-this is cool if you want a natural oil spray. my mother thinks it smells too sweet. But it doesn't bother me, it is pleasant.

Kizzie Stay put pomade- its not really heavy enough to make my hair "stay put" for real, for real. But I LOVE the way this smells. I put it on fly aways sometimes when my hair is freshly straightened.

Hair Milk- Used this a few years ago on relaxed hair. It did nothing for my hair. May have even made it feel hard.

Qhemet Biologics
Amla and Olive Heavy Cream- this is a pretty good product for my hair. it instantly feels softer when its applied. it can easily get too heavy tho or build if u use too much, too often. ive also had differences in the batches. one batch seemed not to have enough olive oil in it, but u could easily stir some in at home. Since I wear my hair straight, I wouldn't put this on it if i want swinging hair. maybe later in the week when I am pulling it up. I also imagine it would be good for natural styles. I don't use this too often bc it can be soooo heavy on straight hair, but i think its a good product.

Coco Detangling Ghee- This doesn't really do anything for my hair. It didn't help me detangle either. Nice cocoa smell, light fluffy texture.

Honeybrush gel- Pleasant light texture and smell. But it doesn't provide any hold at all.

Grapeseed and tea tree pomade- this is light texture and pleasant smell. provides a little bit of a tingle to the scalp. I bought this bc I have dry/itchy scalp sometimes. It didn't really do much for me, so I haven't really used it

Jane Carter

Norish and Shine pomade - I like this product. its almost like a butter. A little goes a long way. The citrus smell is kind of loud tho

Leave in Detangler-Grabbed this in target the other day. I've only been using this on my braid extensions so I don't know how it does on loose hair. It feels like it might be kinda sticky. The smell is VERY loud to me. Not sure if I will continue to use this one.

Oyin-Greg Juice: Nothing to write home about. Smells good.

Curl Junkie- Banana and Hibiscus Deep Fix Conditioner: I'm on my third jar. I just wish it came in a bigger size. Kind of odd how it's banana but it smells like bubble gum.
That is a good product ,i forgot about it ,I looove the smell and texture although i couldnt use it every week cuz it dried my hair out

Curl Junkie-Curl Fuel: Waste o' cash.

My Honey Child-Olive You Deep Conditioner: I like it. The texture was better than I expected. I will more than likely order again.

AO GPB: I don't like the consistency of it. To get my whole head, I literally have to use the whole bottle and sit there for twenty minutes slathering it on. I only use it once every so often.
Thats so true ,i ve tried once and didnt like it at all ,the leave in is good especially mixed with a water and grapeseed oil .

Does anyone have any experience/opinions about the Shea Moisture line? I'm interested in using the conditioner.

I'll list the good from the popular natural lines that have worked for *my* hair. Although I've tried lots of products that have been good, these are the ones that stand out the most.

The good:

Jessicurl Too Shea Extra Moisturizing Conditioner
Qhemet Biologics Cocoa Tree Detangling Ghee
KBB Hair Milk/Butter/Cream/Oil
Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade (I actually like the smell, but mine was grainy when I received it; I'm sure it's not supposed to be like that)
Oyin Honey Hemp Conditioner

As far as "bad" goes, there aren't too many in this category but I will say that a lot of Carol's Daughters hair products fit this category. They either have too much beeswax or the smell is unappealing and too strong. I've tried 2 Darcy's Botanicals products that didn't really do much of anything for my hair (I think it was the hair milk and some twisting creme). Miss Jessie's is a brand that is highly overrated and overpriced.

My hair is 4a/4b

Good:
Afroveda Shea Amla, Totally Twisted
Nature's Hair Silk hair lotion and hair mist (by Identity)
Taliah Waajid Protective mist bodifier (I HAVE to dilute some of it with aloe vera juice to get the desired results)

Overrated: Miss Jessie's curly buttercreme - was greasy but didn't add moisture

I haven't tried many AT ALL but I LOVE AOHSR so that goes in the good category. IT detangled my 9 month post hair very well.

Giovanni SAS shampoo goes in the bad category because it totally stripped my hair and left it very tangled

Back