Natural Hair Without The Jheri Curl Look?

katote

Lately I have noticed whenever I apply any type of product it still has the jheri curl look.

Any suggestions on preventing that look?

RainbowCurls

Too much of the Fantasia IC gel gave me a jheri curl look sometimes too. Or general 'glossy crispyness'. Everyone raves about it but I hate it!

I would suggest...
Apply gel (try 'ORS lock and twist gel' if you can find it) on soaking wet hair, don't touch til dry :)

Cheleigh

katote said:
I sometimes use Fantasia IC gel or Long Aid gel. Pretty much whatever gel I have on hand.

Maybe try creme stylers or lotions instead of gels--maybe the ingredients give you a jheri-curl look.

Some creme stylers to try:
-Drugstore:
Garnier Soft Curl Cream (swapped away, but other folks like it)
Beyond the Zone Noodlehead (never tried)

-Online:
-Oyin Shine & Define (I like this)
-My Honey Child Type 2, 3, or 4 cream (mixed results)
-Curls Souffle or Spiral Creme (never used)
-Blended Beauty Curly Frizz Pudding, Styling Lotion, Styling Butter Creme (like the SBC a lot, never used the others)
-Curl Junkie Guava Styling Cream (can't recall the exact title-never used)

Also, some people just use a good leave-in like Giovanni, Curl Junkie, Curls, Oyin, Qhemet, etc. and use no styling products at all.

P

patient1

Don't apply any products to sopping wet hair if you want to avoid the "wet" or "jherri curl" look.

At the heart of curl definition is locking in the curl pattern that's present when your hair is soaked with water. The more setting agents in the product, the more defined the curl. That's why gels and custards, etc. are so popular for those seeking that look. Nothing wrong with it to me, especially if it's just another styling option.

If you want to counter this though, you want to let your hair start to dry sans any products if you can, or definitely the heavy ones. Once your hair is only slightly damp you can apply your leave-in or what have you.

p1