Natural hair fragility

zailless

Hi, I was wondering if there is anyway to make natural hair strong. I have been bagging my hair some nights, first using scurl, now just castor oil. I didnt like the scurl cause it made the hair too mushy. Now it seems my hair can snap just like that. I have taken vitamins since my hair was 1 inch coming out my scalp last year and tried to moisturize. with the moisture my natural hair doesnt feel strong at all. it snaps easily. Any ideas?

shunta

Yup, try a protein treatment. You have to balance it out, meaning you cant have too much moisture, or it will snap like yours is doing because its too weak.

so1913

shunta said:
Yup, try a protein treatment. You have to balance it out, meaning you cant have too much moisture, or it will snap like yours is doing because its too weak.

Yep, what she said ;)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
My natural hair is very fragile yet strong at the same time. I say it's fragile because it's fine/thin stranded hair, and it's strong because it doesn't break off very much. I don't use protein treatments or anything. My hair doesn't like protein. I just try to be very very gentle with my hair to prevent breakage. Being gentle with your hair is key. Oh yeah! Vitamins may help as well. I take Super B Complex.

ETA: I'm just now seeing that you use S-Curl. That used to be one of my staple products back when my hair was shorter. With continued use, it started making my hair mushy and weak and eventually caused breakage. Once I stopped using S-Curl, my hair went back to normal. I recommend getting rid of S-Curl or at least using it sparingly (not a lot). ;)

Last edited:

zailless

Will definitely get rid of the scurl. this is not the first time I am growing out my hair. i did it three years ago and back then i didnt moisturize nothing and my hair was strong with no issues. sometimes I wonder if the extra attention since I found lhcf is not good for my hair. I use main and tail conditioner but i need something for daily moisture i think. maybe its time for a leave in. would infusium help me in this instance?

balisi

zailless said:
Will definitely get rid of the scurl. this is not the first time I am growing out my hair. i did it three years ago and back then i didnt moisturize nothing and my hair was strong with no issues. sometimes I wonder if the extra attention since I found lhcf is not good for my hair. I use main and tail conditioner but i need something for daily moisture i think. maybe its time for a leave in. would infusium help me in this instance?
Instead of Infusium, I think your hair would benefit from Redken Extreme Anti-Snap Leave-in. I use this regularly on my own natural hair.

blazingthru

I stopped using all those additional sprays because I notice my hair wasn't as strong as I wanted it to be so I made my own moisturizer spray and I use leave in conditioner thats it. Different types of moisturizer too but not as much as the leave in conditioner and I noticed that my hair is much stronger then it ever was before. I was using sprays and gels and my ends were so brillo feeling. I am used to my hair now with nothing in it but moisturizer and leave in conditioner. Thats it. I deep protein condition once a week following with a moisturizer conditioner. Sometimes I forget to deep protein and so far its been okay.

Sharpened

A fleck on His Sword
Have you tried ACV rinses and using less shampoo? Those two things, plus honey, have been a big help.