Natural Hair - Bad Flat Iron (New Pics)

Gullahgirl

Sorry to make such a bad first impression, but I've posted 2 pics on my new fotki website (www.fotki.com/bgordon). pw: hairhair

I attempted a roller set and flat iron. Someone please tell me what went wrong.

Summary:
Transitioned Feb 14, 2004 - Nov 1 2004 (BC)
Nov 1 2004 BC Length: 2 1/2''
Dec 4 2004 Flat Iron (Beautician ruined curl definition) Length: 3 1/2 (straight)
Jan 6 2005 semi-flat iron Length: 4 1/4'' layers - about 3 1/2'' hair line

Shatani

maybe the problem was the products you used......a lot of the ladies here use some sort of heat protectant of hair oil before pressing, and maybe thats what made yours come out the way it did.....

Pookie25

For someone with natural hair, I don't see nothing wrong with it. But I think you are right when that the beautician used a very hot iron that probably why it came out better. But my opinion is if you use something that hot you might as well pull out the pressing come too.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Was it a typo or did you really use Keraphix as a leave-in? Keraphix is a protein conditioner and you should follow the directions to the letter. IIRC, it's supposed to be rinsed (shampooed?) out after five minutes.

Gullahgirl

SassyGirl:
Yep. I left the Keraphix in.....
I get from your post that that was a bad thing.
Oh me...

Well, I'll wash my hair tonight so you all can see it in its post-washed state.
And no more Keraphix as a leave in for me.

Is Mane'N'Tail conditioner okay to leave in?

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
Back in the early/mid 80's I used a small amount of Mane n Tail as a leave in and I really liked it. :) But they have changed the formula since then, so I'm not sure. The old formula was white/beige. The one I see on the shelves now is blue.

If a conditioner doesn't have protein in it (or protein is really low on the ingredient list) I always give it a try as a leave in.

Kengne

Congrats on the Big Chop!

But one question: what's with all the heat? Maybe ur hair is style fragile & recovering from the flat iron disaster with the beautician.

My advice: lay off the heat for a minute and let ur natural hair just breath..

just my $.02.

K.

Gullahgirl

Well thank you for the Big Chop props, Kengne.

I agree. I've been thinking about braids lately. I want some that won't break my hair out too much, but not big fat braids, either.

MeccaMedinah

Kengne said:
Congrats on the Big Chop!

But one question: what's with all the heat? Maybe ur hair is style fragile & recovering from the flat iron disaster with the beautician.

My advice: lay off the heat for a minute and let ur natural hair just breath..

just my $.02.

K.
:) I'd like to add another 2 cents to that, I totally agree.

Kengne

Gullahgirl said:
Well thank you for the Big Chop props, Kengne.

I agree. I've been thinking about braids lately. I want some that won't break my hair out too much, but not big fat braids, either.

Braids are a good protective style, esp. if ur trying to nurture ur hair back to health.

Cornrows arent so good bcuz they usually put too much tension on the hairline, unless u get them done really loose but then they dont last as long.

So for me...twists are DA BOMB!

K.