Natural Hair and White Men

MonPetite

This is an old thread, wow!

Yes, I have noticed this. I get compliments from Frat boys to elderly caucasian men at Church!

keepithealthy

In my personal experiences I have found that men of all types have been attracted to me straight or natural. I will say that when my hair is relaxed and long I get more attention from black men. Also during my brief time being a natural for some reason black men thought I was tryna to make a political or religous statement with my hair. I would have black men say oh you must be ethno centric. ughhm no fool my hair fell out lol well I didn't actuall say that lol

OFF TOPIC
Well I'm "high yellow" (according to my family lol) and people were shocked when I had a twa (not by choice very bad perm experience), that my hair was nappy. lol. I guess because it was long when it was relaxed and becasue I am light they assumed it would be all wavy or really curly or something lol .

Last edited:

MarieB

I have a white male friend who has locks... as in dread locks... and I know it's weird for me to see that style on a white male... or female for that matter. (Sorry off subject slightly)

I have seen more white people with locks since I moved to Portland than I'd ever seen anywhere else. It doesn't even surprise me anymore.

Kawaii1

I find that white people in general love our natural hair. They find it fascinating and they wonder why all black people dont wear our hair that way. Seems like our people have a problem with our own natural hair.
Disclaimer: not all black people feel that way.

Very true, my twin siter pulls white boys all day long. I have no trouble picking black men, they love me.

princessnad

I think we are underestimating some white men. I think they consciously or subconsciously realize that most black women relax and it is more than just hair for most of us. So when he sees a black woman with natural hair, he sees someone willing to go against the norm and therefore someone who just might be willing to date them (out of your race).

He thought you were cute all along, but now he feels he actually has a chance.

Misseyl

Syrah I know what you are saying..Years ago when I was rocking my short natural hair, a lot of white guys were feeling me. IMO, it's only some black people and a few white women have a problem with a black person's natural hair.

JollyGal

I think we are underestimating some white men. I think they consciously or subconsciously realize that most black women relax and it is more than just hair for most of us. So when he sees a black woman with natural hair, he sees someone willing to go against the norm and therefore someone who just might be willing to date them (out of your race).

He thought you were cute all along, but now he feels he actually has a chance.

Oh yessssssssssssssss:yep:

Perfect. I have nothing else to add.

1babydimple

I agree with this, the higher you climb the less you will see natural hair - unless it's the owner. But yrs ago when I was natural I did find it attracted more asian & caucasian men and me being me would always ask, "So you want me to help you with your jungle fever.":lachen: Nothing like getting tangled up in a massive fro and I'm not telling any more.:lachen::lachen:

(There are alot of white people who think natural hair is ugly or unproffesional too, their beliefs and invention of the word "nappy" is one of the main reasons some black people hate their own hair---but i get your point)

mstar

Luxury bacon
I am currently engaged to a white man (Jewish), and he has been the single most supportive and understanding person I've encountered, when it comes to my natural 4b texture.

A few years ago, he started helping me take down my micros, and each time, he would just stare at my natural hair in wonderment, and say, "When are you just going to leave it like this? You don't need all that other stuff," meaning weaves and braids. Over the years, he just kept telling me how gorgeous my nappy hair was, and my self-confidence grew each time he said it. Although we're in the process of breaking up now, I will forever be grateful to him for choosing to love me exactly as I am.

I'm not sayin' all black men are the same (they're NOT) but I have personally almost never heard a black man--other than my father--make a single positive comment about my natural hair. Black men have been the ones who teased me when my braids got fuzzy, or pointed out that my hairline was reverting, or whatever. I hope to one day find a black man who accepts me in the same way that my white fiance did.

HauteHippie

This is so funny. Now that I'm natural, I hardly ever get attention from black men (even most of my weaves are "natural". They look just like my hair). I don't think I would have cut all of my relaxed hair off if my ex-fiance (a white guy) hadn't encouraged me to go natural. I'd wanted to do it for a while, but I was scared. However, we were planning on having a family in a few years and I did not want my daughters putting chemicals in their hair.
Since then, the only guys who really give me attention are white men. My white male friend says, "Natural hair is like crack to white men." He usually says this while I'm ducking/swatting his hand and saying, "Get your hand out of my hair!"

HauteHippie

I am currently engaged to a white man (Jewish), and he has been the single most supportive and understanding person I've encountered, when it comes to my natural 4b texture.

A few years ago, he started helping me take down my micros, and each time, he would just stare at my natural hair in wonderment, and say, "When are you just going to leave it like this? You don't need all that other stuff," meaning weaves and braids. Over the years, he just kept telling me how gorgeous my nappy hair was, and my self-confidence grew each time he said it. Although we're in the process of breaking up now, I will forever be grateful to him for choosing to love me exactly as I am.

I'm not sayin' all black men are the same (they're NOT) but I have personally almost never heard a black man--other than my father--make a single positive comment about my natural hair. Black men have been the ones who teased me when my braids got fuzzy, or pointed out that my hairline was reverting, or whatever. I hope to one day find a black man who accepts me in the same way that my white fiance did.

Aww... I feel you. I totally feel you. :kiss:

KnitChick

I actually get more of a response from men in general wen I wear a wash + go or a kinky weave. When I flat iron my hair or wear a straight weave I can walk the street in peace :lachen:

My boyfriend is a black man, and he HATES with a passion my straight weaves /styles...:nono: He loves that I am going natural + I BC'd because of him @ 4 months, He is impatient..lol :rolleyes:

I haven't had any negative experience at all so I guess i'm just lucky :yep:

NikkiGirl

They are most likely intrigued. It is different to them and they evidently like that. Depending on where some of these men grew up, they may not have had the opportunity to see different textures. And I think California is very liberal to begin with. I grew up in South Carolina and I would see white men giving me a second glance all the time, but wouldn't approach me. It just isn't done where I am from that much. But thats changing.

Lola Laughs

My theory--I think natural hair may signify to non-AA men that you're willing to step out of the norm, and possibly date out of the norm. IDK, I could be totally wrong...:spinning:

DirtyJerzeyGirly

My theory--I think natural hair may signify to non-AA men that you're willing to step out of the norm, and possibly date out of the norm. IDK, I could be totally wrong...:spinning:

I cosign 100% with this and I have heard this from white men as well. Also, I think it's because simply it's "different" and thier not used to seeing black women with thier natural texture.

Just my opinion.

GreenD

This is interesting, as I had a former coworker with locks to her behind that has been dating a white guy for a while. I once wore my hair in a curly style (my hair was relaxed) and my former white boss almost went coo-coo to cocoa puffs!! LOL!!

song_of_serenity

Yes, I can vouche for the natural hair being a white man/non black man magnet!!

...and the black men it attracts are usually of the "Hello, my sista" or "Can I have a moment of your time" type variety!
...specific type of black man or do they just "come correct" vs when your hair is straight?

DirtyJerzeyGirly

Yes, I can vouche for the natural hair being a white man/non black man magnet!!

...and the black men it attracts are usually of the "Hello, my sista" or "Can I have a moment of your time" type variety!
...specific type of black man or do they just "come correct" vs when your hair is straight?

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh man! I'm no longer called "shawty!" :lachen:Amazing.

hiphoprocker

i live in Chicago and the Op is right.. in chicago at least, black women with straight hair is the norm.. be it their own hair or a weave.. so to see a natural head here is different.. its special :yep: you stand out more.. you'll see some of the craziest colored weaves here... i even feel like i blend in more with a weave or a half wig.. not that its not PLENTY of beautiful natural heads here, but its far more relaxed and weaved heads than natural.