Natural Gals--What type of moisturizer do you use?

What type of moisturizer works best for you?

• Serum

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Leave in conditioner/creamy moisturizer

Votes: 184 78.3%
  • Shea butter

Votes: 34 14.5%
  • Other

Votes: 45 19.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tylers-mom

To be honest I haven't mastered the whole hair type thing. :perplexed Perhaps someone can help me by looking at my profile pic? I'm transitioning from being relaxed/texlaxed to natural. I'm thinking that I am 3c??

Anyways, what type of moisturizer works best for you? Serum, leave in conditioner or shea butter?

silenttullip

You look to be a 3c/4a but I think it's kind of early to tell. I'm a 4a/3c but when I don't take care of my hair I turned into a 4z lol
I chose other, I use water & rosewater or a moisturizing spray that looks like straight up water. I can't take heavy things on my hair but if it's winter I will melt some shea butter and mix it with jojoba oil. If you want a product suggestion I'd say qhemet's burdock root butter cream or myhoneychild type 3 creme. Although I have my 4 type than 3 the lighter choices such as those work better for me.

Last edited:

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

prepare for 1000 s-curl responses(j/k)

lol, i finally gave in.... went to the dark side
shea hates me.... but works whipped with an oil and say.... "s-curl":lachen:

i never seem to need moisture these days tho really

Last edited:

Nonie

S Curl

Fhrizzball

I use a conditioner as a leave in and refresh with either water/oil spritz, s-curl, or braid spray. And the days I don't use a conditioner as a leave in then I use the garnier fructis leave in and I like that as well and NTM silk touch leave in.

Shea butter made my hair hard and dry. And when I wear my hair straight which isn't often I use EVCO or some other oils.

Yoshi3329

Man, I just use water and seal with my Bronner Brothers Hot Six Oil. It has two ceramides, coconut oil (another moisturizer) and it smells really good. It also has a host of other oils, which I like, because I don't want to purchase countless oils and mix them myself when I can have 15 oils in 1 bottle.

nikolite

I use a leave-in conditioner, water and/or aloe vera gel as moisturizers, while Hot 6 Oil and shea butter are my sealants.

bride91501

I use a leave-in, then spritz my hair with my water/aloe vera juice/glycerin mix (AKA homemade s-curl lol). My hair, which can get as dry as the sahara desert, feels SO soft and moisturized after it dries.

Shea butter tends to make my hair feel greasy, no matter how little I use. I do sometimes use it to seal my ends though, if I'm wearing braids or twists.

MizzBrit

any water based glycerine spritz for me..right now im using water,aloe juice and castor oil mix

alive

prepare for 1000 s-curl responses(j/k)

lol, i finally gave in.... went to the dark side
shea hates me.... but works whipped with an oil and say.... "s-curl":lachen:

i never seem to need moisture these days tho really

:lachen::lachen::lachen: :rofl: S-CURL

say it loud and say it proud, hairlab!

omachine

i use an abridged version of kimmay-tubes leave in....aloe vera oil and jojoba oil mixed with the knot today leave in conditioner...i don't measure it...i just throw it all into a knot today bottle and shake until the mixture turns yellow....

Tylers-mom

Ok ok! Must get some S-Curl!!

:lachen:

Glad to hear that u ladies also swear by your water bottle mixtures!! I have my little mix of water, aloe vera juice, VO5, water, serum, coconut oil and any other crap I can throw in! I just got some shea butter...I'm still a bit iffy about it though. It's making my hair a bit stiff and greasy....

Crystal

Yup, s curl.. I tried to use other stuff but always go back to old faithful.

I've mixed water and glycerin, that works too but made my bathroom floor slippery as heck and there's no use in having moisturized hair with a busted ***...lol

But yeah... scurl.

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

:lachen::lachen::lachen: :rofl: S-CURL

say it loud and say it proud, hairlab!

girl yeah! Nonie put me on:lachen:
and the lady who's siggy says s-curl is the answer to every question (loooove that!):grin:

but i'm kinda mad b/c between my steamer & ph balanced hair,
i actually never need moisture anymore... and i have a house full of errrrythang'!!

p.s. (i think i really keep posting just to look at Nelly... dayuuum son')

NAPPYCHICK86

Herbal essence none of your frizzness leave-in does wonders for my hair!! After i use my veggie glycerin/water mix as a spritz

Last edited:

winona

I love YTCucumbers regular conditioner. I have been using it off and on (mostly on) for over a year now. I love it:)

I'm transitioning; but, I've been using either a creamy leave-in conditioner as my moisturizer or my aloe vera-glycerin-distilled water mix as a moisturizer. I do want to try shea butter for the fall and winter months, though.

SEMO

Creamy leave in sealed with oil works best for me
Ditto. I can sometimes get away with using a non-creamy leave-in in between washes (if my hair just needs a slight moisture refresher). But right after I wash my hair I definitely need to use a creamy leave-in and seal with an oil (I like using virgin coconut oil).

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
I spritz my hair with water, apply a regular conditioner (Organix Coconut Milk Conditoner), and then seal with coconut oil or whipped shea butter.

lilsparkle825

any of the following

*modified kimmaytube's leave-in (giovanni direct instead of KCKT) -- most popular right now
*cantu shea butter leave-in
*hawaiian silky 14 in 1
*coconut oil
*aloe vera gel
*water
*leftover herbal essences hello hydration from cowashing

i seal with EVCO or EVOO/castor oil.

cutenss

found at Sallys, use oil to seal afterwards

I found at TJ MAxx. On the hunt for more...L:love:VE, use oil to seal afterwards

love on wet hair buns, I don't seal afterwards with this

Anew

Right now I'm using wave nouveau and I don't konw if I like it. I used it relaxed and it was good

I may try scurl or cfcg