Natural Feeling Guilty about Straight Half Wig

curlmama

I usually wear my hair natural with KCCC. I decided I wanted to do a protective style for a while and got a half wig. It is really cute and my co-workers,students and parents say "my hair" looks great! But I am feeling strange about not being the advocate for natural hair. I choose to be natural because I think the hair God gave me is beautiful and I want little black girls and all people with naturally curly hair to know that they do not have to straighten their hair to be considered beautiful. Any advice?

Nonie

Don't feel guilty. Straight hair is a look that natural hair can sport when pressed. You're just sporting one of the looks your hair can achieve. Another day you can sport your afro puff. Or you can buy different textured puffs and wear them interchangeably. As long as there isn't an obvious contrast so it looks dumb (pulled back hair looks smooth and can closely resemble straight hair so you can probably pull it off), enjoy the look.

Now comes the important question, got pics? :grin:

naturalgurl

Being natural doesn't mean you only like natural styles or only want to sport natural styles. Go ahead and do yo thang girl. Variety is the spice to life and you owe NO ONE an explanation.

cutiebe2

I feel your pain. I also feel weird about wearing my half-wig since I am such a supporter of natural hair and now I feel I can't talk because people will look and huh? Your wearing a wavy/straight wig!!!

In the end we can only do so much. I am protecting and taking care of my natural hair underneath which is most important

hope that helps!!!

CurliDiva

there are wigs and half wig that mimic natural textures!

you could eveen buy wig of 'dreads', 'braids' or 'twist', so I don't see a problem with being PRO natural and ocassionally wear a wig as a protective style.

if you said that you're wearing wigs because you hate your hair......then we would have bigger problem to address

good luck

Last edited:

lilsparkle825

kinda like when people come up to me and expect me to break out one of those black power afro picks and/or throw water on everyone with a relaxer that passes me...

...its not that serious.

if it looks good on you wear it with pride.

Nonie

CurliDiva - Do you have a website for these types of wigs?

Below's a website from which I got the one I'm wearing here:

http://wowwigs.stores.yahoo.net/cozy.html

curlmama

Ok I think I loaded the picture right this time. Here is me in my straight half wig.

Last edited: