NATURAL CONSIDERING RELAXER: Please post your favorite products and useful advice

JudithO

Hello ladies,

About me: Very Kinky 4B, almost BSL.. Protein sensitive natural.

Here is a picture of my shrinkage from August. http://public.fotki.com/judy4all/july-2011/img-1268.html

I'd appreciate it if you ladies can help me with the following. Money is not a factor if the product is a life changer. I care about ingredients - the more natural, the better.

I plan to relax every 8 weeks - Prepoo, wash and condition weekly - Rollerset or airdry... Plan to use no heat. I plan to go to my hair stylist for relaxer n touchups but she'll let me bring whatever product I please. Please help with the following..

Lye vs No Lye?
Favorite Lye Relaxer (people seem to like ORS LYE)?
Favorite No-Lye?
What should I base my scalp with? For how long?
Favorite neutralizing shampoo?
Favorite Conditioner on relaxer day?

Favorite moisturizing shampoo( I currently use Elasta QP creme conditioning)?

Favorite moisturizing condish(I currently use Garnier Triple nutrition)?

Favorite products for airdrying?

Do I need protein (my hair really hates protein as a natural)?

Any other tips/techniques/tricks?

Thanks so much

southerncitygirl

when i relaxed my fave was keracare fiberguard (lye). my hair was healthy and had multidimensional color. my stylist gave me retouches every 4-5 months. i'm a cottony 3c/4a though. when i washed my hair at home in between visits i used professional shampoos and condtioners like redken, tigi ( their dumb blonde reconstructor was the business). aveda anti humectant pomade was a staple as well as lottabody setting lotion. i didn't dc or check for moisture/protein balance but i visited a stylist every other week during that time and washed my owen hair in btw and did curly roller sets.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I'm relaxed and used Mizani Butter Blends Sensitive Scalp, recently used Affirm. Even tho' I'm relaxed, I try to use Handmade/Natural Products for my Maintenance & Daily Care. I tend to avoid cones, and other harsh products etc......

I also use a light reconstructor treatment or light protein weekly. I do a heavy Rx right before relaxing and a week afterwards.

I was 15 weeks post my last relaxer, but will go to a 8-12 week Regimen.

I do more Cowashing and/or Conditioning Cleanser washing, than using 'Shampoo'. I only shampoo during the relaxing process or to clarify or chelate.

AO's GPB may be a good way for you to get your Protein in, because it will give you a nice 'balance' of both Protein & Moisture.

JudithO

Hairness I am not enthusiastic about my decision... because the same reasons I went natural in the first place still exist except I have learned so much about hair, and I am positive that I can care for relaxed hair.

I am so desperate for another look, I want to be able to wash and COMB my hair weekly without spending 4 hours or breaking off my entire head of hair. I want to be able to wear weaves and leave some hair out, I want to be able to go to a hair stylist when I want to look special... I want to walk into a conference room at work and feel on top of my game... I have been thru a lot this year at work and can use a confidence booster.. and let my hair down for my husband to see... lol.. Thankfully, he loves my hair the way it is, and is also questioning my decision.. but has stated that he'll support whatever I do, as long as I don't cut my hair.

I don't mind chemicals in my hair as long as it doesn't destroy it... all hair products except for oils and butters have some form of chemical but I am very concerned about my scalp.. It's skin you know.. it absorbs everything. That's my biggest concern.. I see relaxed hair as a different look... just like hair color.. but achieving the look comes at the expense of burning your skin, and potentially toxic things into your body so I'm kinda afraid. Hopefully, a good stylist can apply it properly... I'm travelling 4 hrs to a stylist that I trust, and I'll try to keep the relaxers to a minimum.

I don't want locks cos I get bored so easily, hence why I am thinking about a relaxer.. If I lock my hair.. I'll get bored within 6 months and cut it off..

Hairness

judy4all Thanks for answering so quickly and throughly. I'm newly natural, so I'm definitely biased. I have similar shrinkage and I just discovered flat twists which stretch out my hair and allow it to move. I can understand getting tired of a short afro if you like variety. I'm glad I discovered the twists for variety. I've yet to flat iron my hair. I'm too afraid of damage and I don't trust hairdressers to do it at a low enough temperature. btw, I feel the same way you do about locs.

I hope it works for you and you can achieve the looks that you want without any damage.

All the best to you and happy hair growth!

greight

Damn, OP! Your shrinkage is amazing!!!!

I have no advice to add as I'm a natural as well (have gone back and forth with the idea of tex-laxing and hanging in there), but good luck! I understand how you feel :yep:

I would honestly suggest thinking about tex-laxing only because you'll maintain some thickness. You should also consider stretching it beyond 8 weeks. When I was relaxed, I did this and my hair was pretty good with body. I used to roller set (and they looked good + lasted for a week).

JudithO

greight Thanks much. Afraid of texlaxing cos I'm afraid I can't deal with the multiple textures.. My hair behaves very different now vs when I was relaxed.. Thinking I'd rather have one vs the other. Wat do you guys think?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I know you'll be pleased with the results and especially since you know how to care for your Relaxed Hair.

It's good you're getting a early start on structuring your Regimen to accomodate the change.

There are plenty of Relaxed Threads. I'm sure you'll do fine.:yep:

havilland

Magical Mythical Princess
Lye vs No Lye? LYE

Favorite Lye Relaxer (people seem to like ORS LYE)? DESIGN ESSENTIALS AND AFFIRM AND REVLON

Favorite No-Lye? NONE...I HATE THEM

What should I base my scalp with? For how long? I BASE WITH COCONUT OIL THE NIGHT BEFORE AND VASELINE RIGHT BEFORE

Favorite neutralizing shampoo? OPTIMUM FOLLOWED BY ACY RINSE

Favorite Conditioner on relaxer day? ELASTA QP PROTEIN AFTER NEUTRALIZING AND A DEEP MOISTURE CONDISH AFTER FINAL RINSE, LIKE HAIRVEDA SITRINILLAH OR ORS HAIR MAYO

Favorite moisturizing shampoo( I currently use Elasta QP creme conditioning)? I USE HAIRVEDA PRODS. SO I LIKE HAIRVEDA AMLA CREAM RINSE

HAIRVEDA SITRINILLAH, NEXXUS HUMECTRESS, OR HOT OIL TREATMENTS

Favorite products for airdrying? GARNIER ANTI FRIZZ PRODUCTS FOLLWED BY A DAB OF GEL

YES, IF YOU ARE CHEMICALLY RELAXED I WOULD SAY TO USE PROTEIN EVERY 8 WEEKS OR SO. (OR AT LEAST WITH TOUCH UPS)

Any other tips/techniques/tricks? DEEP CONDITION WEEKLY WITH HEAT.

good luck with your decision...whatever you decide:yep:

greight

@greight Thanks much. Afraid of texlaxing cos I'm afraid I can't deal with the multiple textures.. My hair behaves very different now vs when I was relaxed.. Thinking I'd rather have one vs the other. Wat do you guys think?

With texlaxing, you'd still just be dealing with your natural hair and the texlaxed part. You mentioned you have fine hair (me too!) so going bone straight might give you flat results.

I also agree on the no heat though. I might as well BC my hair if I use a flat iron.

Meadow

I really hope that your relaxed journey is a good one. Here are my answers to your concerns:

Lye vs No Lye?

Favorite Lye Relaxer (people seem to like ORS LYE)?

I use Avlon Affirm. I relax every 12 weeks.

Favorite No-Lye?

I do not use no-lye because the calcuim from it builds up on my hair and causes set backs, so I started using lye and got much better results. I use Avlon Affirm. I relax every 12 weeks.

I usually have my scalp based by the stylist with Avlon Affirm Gentle Assurance Base Cream before a relaxer. She let it sit on my scalp for atleast ten minutes before she starts to relax.

Avlon neutralizing shampoo

Avlon conditioner

Favorite moisturizing shampoo( I currently use Elasta QP creme conditioning)?

My favorite moisturizing shampoo (right now) is Carol's daughter Tui.

Carol's Daughter Tui conditioner

Tui leave-in and silk elements olive oil heat protectant. I like how well the silk elements detangles, . The silk elements also protects my hair from the heat because I ususally flatiron after I airdry, or bobbi clip it into a bun.

I don't use protein. Just do what your hair likes, it usually tells you :yep:

Just pay attention to your hair. I used to be so negligent of my hair and I let so many others tell me what was right for me.You are the only one that knows what your hair really needs. Once I started paying attention, my hair started improving.

Mische

Lye vs No Lye?
Lye! If there is one thing I am grateful to salons for, it would be introducing me to lye relaxers after years of using boxed no-lye.

Favorite Lye Relaxer?
Mizani Butter Blends in Medium/Regular

Favorite No-Lye?
None.

I always base the night before and the morning of. I use lye and never end up with burns, so while this may seem excessive it works for me. Right now I'm using the Mizani Butter Blend Butter Base (though when it runs out, I'll probably go out and buy the Summit Sensitive Scalp Base my stylist always used on me).

Mizani Butter Blend Balance Hair Bath. A neutralizing shampoo with a color indicator is a must in my opinion.

Shescentit Avocado conditioner

Favorite moisturizing shampoo?
I really like Silk Dreams Go Moist. I've been using it for the past two months and it doesn't dry out or tangle my hair. My new growth is nice and soft after rinsing.

Favorite moisturizing condish?
Shescentit Avocado conditioner

I generally use my regular moisturizer and sealant for airdrying -- Darcy's Transitioning Creme and Hairveda Vatika Frosting or Silk Dreams Nourish. Silky soft results every time.

Do I need protein?
While I can't tell you what your hair needs, I would advise you to not be afraid of using protein. Especially as a relaxed head. It took me forever to realize protein is not the enemy. I use a light to medium protein weekly (Shescentit Okra reconstructor) and my hair loves it.

Do what makes you feel happiest at the end of the day. People will always have opinions but its YOUR hair! :)

I would recommend looking into seamless combs for detangling, and shampooing in sections or loose braids. Switching to natural products was also a great decision for my hair.