Natural Cali girl going to Manhattan: Should I visit a Dom salon?

NuMe2004

Hi,

I'm going to Manhattan and possibly NJ for a few days and was wondering if you think I should visit a Dominican salon or just get a wash and flat iron like I normally do.

There are so many threads on Dominican salons and they have me both intrigued and scurrred!

I've heard about the "hell fire" of the blow dryers and the microscopic combs, but I've also heard about how soft and silky the results are. However, most of the reviews come from relaxed ladies, and I'm natural. I know some say that Dom salons don't treat natural hair, but my texture is in the 3s. Below are some pics of my natural, unstr8tnd texture for your reference.

I live in Cali and there are no Dom salons out here as far as I know. This may therefore be my only chance to experience one. Should I go? If so, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• natur_curls1.jpg
    natur_curls1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 13
  • natur_curls2.jpg
    natur_curls2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 11
I say no!!!! LOL not trying to be overly dramatic, but I've seen your flat-iron pics in your fotki and I can't imagine it coming out any prettier than it does when you do it. I don't think it's worth the risk of so much heat:nono:.

I say no!!!! LOL not trying to be overly dramatic, but I've seen your flat-iron pics in your fotki and I can't imagine it coming out any prettier than it does when you do it. I don't think it's worth the risk of so much heat:nono:.

Seriously. Last year I went for a Dominican blowout almost every week. I thought it was normal to get scalp burns from the blowdryer. They really OD on the heat AND pulling your hair...and my hair is relaxed. Seriously....I LOVE my Dominican sisters....but they OD.

I think you should go for it. But ask around for the best Dominican salon in Manhattan. Good luck if you decide to go. :grin:

I say go for the experience! Get a good recommendation and TELL them (nicely of course :lachen:) to turn the heat DOWN and you should be fine.

OK, so far that's 3 Yes's, 2 No's, and 0 recommendations.

I do want to go just so I can say I tried it, but I'm scared because I know it only takes ONE TIME for someone to jack up your hair.

I hope I get some other responses to help me decide. I will definitely post pics if I go.

Thanks ladies :)

My cousins go to the Dominicans frequently and they have the same natural hair type as you(the prom pics in my fotki) They have beautiful healthy hair. They're wearing their natural curls for the summer but they go every 2weeks during the cooler months
You may not want to go frequently if heat damage is your fear but I say go for the visit

My cousins go to the Dominicans frequently and they have the same natural hair type as you(the prom pics in my fotki) They have beautiful healthy hair. They're wearing their natural curls for the summer but they go every 2weeks during the cooler months
You may not want to go frequently if heat damage is your fear but I say go for the visit

Your cousin has some beautiful hair. She's a pretty lady too :)

Do you know the name of the Dom salon she visits?

Your cousin has some beautiful hair. She's a pretty lady too :)

Do you know the name of the Dom salon she visits?

Thanks...No she lives in New Jersey but she goes to a salon here in Philly..I'm sure the NY ladies will chime in with suggestions on where to go in the Manhattan area

OK, so far that's 3 Yes's, 2 No's, and 0 recommendations.

I do want to go just so I can say I tried it, but I'm scared because I know it only takes ONE TIME for someone to jack up your hair.

I hope I get some other responses to help me decide. I will definitely post pics if I go.

Thanks ladies :)

Here are some links to reviews of various NY Dominican Salons.

HTH

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=60746&highlight=Dominican+Salons

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=123373&highlight=Dominican+Salons

I say go for it. I have been to several Domincan salons (none in NY though) and I am always satisfied. Every now and then you'll get over to a heavy handed stylist, but if you go in and check the ladies out first, you can pick who you want. That's what I do when I go to a new salon. Good luck.

I say go for it. I live in a dominican neighborhood and most of the salons around me except for 1 (and there are atleast 3 on each block) are great. Your hair is very similar to the texture of many of the dominican ladies hair so it won't be a problem that u are natural, plus I've never seen anyone get turned away cuz they r natural and that is mostly who goes into these salons. Go somewhere in Washington Heights or just walk around from 140 &bway to 181st and you will see MANY choices.

Thank you ladies :).

A special thanks to Sunshine One and Miss Fallon for giving me some recommendations. I'll post pics if/when I go!

Back