Natural 4b hair that swings.

yellagirl730

Is there such a thing, I have natural 4b hair and I want it to swing. I've read here that the lack of products and straight roots contributes to swinging hair but I'm afraid if I don't use alot of heat protectant/serums i will damage it, what do you all think? I will using both a Maxiglide and chi to straighten.

ajargon02

Is there such a thing, I have natural 4b hair and I want it to swing. I've read here that the lack of products and straight roots contributes to swinging hair but I'm afraid if I don't use alot of heat protectant/serums i will damage it, what do you all think?

I know that I won't be much help, but if you are in Ne oh, there's a private stylist that did an awesome job on my hair when she straighted it about 2-3 years ago. it looked as if I had a fresh perm, and was really soft. I know that she used a couple of protectants but I have no clue what she used. It lasted through steam, moisture you name it. I had to wash my hair to get it to go back nappy

yellagirl730

I know that I won't be much help, but if you are in Ne oh, there's a private stylist that did an awesome job on my hair when she straighted it about 2-3 years ago. it looked as if I had a fresh perm, and was really soft. I know that she used a couple of protectants but I have no clue what she used. It lasted through steam, moisture you name it. I had to wash my hair to get it to go back nappy

Thanks so much for the response, Do you mean NE Ohio? If so I am very far away (NE Texas). I am just so scared to straighten my hair without anything.

naturaline

im hair moves when i use my round brush drier 1st and then the falt iron. i like tony & guy' heat protector.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Why are you using both the Maxiglide and Chi Iron? Use just one of those tools to straighten your hair.

Mook's hair

Well, I'm almost 7 months into my transition. Wow - that's the first time I said that ( sounds like a lot) :)

I have that thick rudy huxtable hair. It is strong and actually seems to like some heat once a week. I get great swing regardless of what flat iron I use. My cheapo ceramic conair which I love or my pricey ceramic Chi.

KAT25

Doing a baking soda rinse gave my hair unbelieveable swing, but I am relaxed maybe it will work for you though :grin:

AtlantaJJ

I'm not a natural now, but back in the day I used to get "dry presses" in Los Angeles. My sister gets them now. My hair was so healthy and swinging just like a perm. Of course I don't know what products they used back then but I know it can be done without damaging the hair.

dinaaike

This is a tricky one to me. My hair is kinky (I've pretty much given up typing it beyond the number 4) and it swings when it's healthy.

I don't straighten very often, but when I have done it, my family has pretty much reached the consensus that it's never straight straight. My sister says quote, "it's straight for YOU." So if your main point is flat ironing, I'd say just use a good heat protectant like IC or Silk Effects or some of the other decent ones out there and don't put the iron too high. You shouldn't smell like burning hair when you're done.

If your point is getting it bouncy, straight or not straight, I'd say make sure to avoid product build-up, use a LIGHT leave-in, and maybe add a little fatty oil to your conditioner. Beyond keeping it health overall, that should about cover it. HTH!

AtlantaJJ

Its very possible - Im all natural 4b ... check my fotki! :grin:
Did I see you with that shinny swangin hair in the Publix parking lot today? I saw a girl and her hair was blangin, all shinny and everything and it was blowing in the wind. It was about your length too! How do you get it so blingy and pretty? Do tell :giggle: