~**Natual 4a/b vs: THE FLAT IRON**~im loosing!

msMicaela

I just "officially" joined LHCF yesterday, but have been a lurker for awhile. And have always been about using heat in my hair as least as possible, and maintaing healthy locks, I have even let my perm grow out...but in order to keep my 4b hair from reverting after I do anything strenuous... I have found myself flat ironing and or pressing it 1x or 2x a week.:wallbash: :wallbash:

And wearing it curly is not an option for me because unlike some of the other georgous heads of 4b curls, my hair has no real curl definition just a wave pattern..

I feel like im at that place where i am stuck..I cant wear my hair curly and it wont stay straight w/out perming it...

How in the world can natural 4a/bs maintain straight silky locks, without putting heat on it regurly( meaning more than 1x every other week)??

Is there some other method that i should be doing other than just blowdrying then pressing then flat ironing??

anon123

You can try roller setting. That takes a bit of time, though. But you know, you don't need obviously curly hair to wear it natural. I do it all the time. :)

msMicaela

Thanks mwedzi! Although ive tried roller setting.. lol it comes out looking half straight, half frizzy, half curly! lol...

Its at NL now so i was thinking about just wearing my natural hair, but i think only when it gets longer..i would not be flattering on me at all to wear it how it looks natural w/ this length.

msMicaela

You can try roller setting. That takes a bit of time, though. But you know, you don't need obviously curly hair to wear it natural. I do it all the time. :)

BTW..yours was one of the first fotki's ive looked at... you look very good with your natural texture! and the twists and locks that you do.

Essensual

Co signing on what's been said, but I know Pinkskates exercises quite often (if not daily). She could shed some light on this one, I believe. Maybe she'll hear this distress call...

Junebug D

Have you tried any natural styles like twist-outs or knot-outs? They can simulate a curly pattern on 4b texture.

A lot of people swear by Sabino Moisture Block-- it supposedly stalls reversion. Some people can wear their presses for 2 weeks with it.

When I pressed, I was able to wear mine for 2 weeks (could have gone longer, but I needed to wash it) though I got mine done at a salon-- with the marcel iron. That is a risk. :ohwell:

Junebug D

Thanks mwedzi! Although ive tried roller setting.. lol it comes out looking half straight, half frizzy, half curly! lol...

Its at NL now so i was thinking about just wearing my natural hair, but i think only when it gets longer..i would not be flattering on me at all to wear it how it looks natural w/ this length.

My hair was barely even NL when I did this bantu knot-out, I am a 4B with heavy frizz:

This is a twist-out, prob around NL also:

I hope you find something that works for you though. :yep:

msMicaela

Have you tried any natural styles like twist-outs or knot-outs? They can simulate a curly pattern on 4b texture.

A lot of people swear by Sabino Moisture Block-- it supposedly stalls reversion. Some people can wear their presses for 2 weeks with it.

When I pressed, I was able to wear mine for 2 weeks (could have gone longer, but I needed to wash it) though I got mine done at a salon-- with the marcel iron. That is a risk. :ohwell:

THANKS!! Ive never actually tride the twist outs... i think i would prefer that over knot-outs...and if thats wat you have in your profile pic.. I love it!! And i have heard something about that being good for bringing out my curl pattern.

and Sabino Moisture block...im going to write that down and check it out...

Thanks for the tips and im going to wash my hair tonight and take a stab at those twist... keep your fingers crossed>>> lol:perplexed

msMicaela

My hair was barely even NL when I did this bantu knot-out, I am a 4B with heavy frizz:

This is a twist-out, prob around NL also:

I hope you find something that works for you though. :yep:

The second pic looks similiar to how my hair would probably look...aftet i attempt tonight!! i would love to wear my natural..((sigh)) we'll c.

Junebug D

THANKS!! Ive never actually tride the twist outs... i think i would prefer that over knot-outs...and if thats wat you have in your profile pic.. I love it!! And i have heard something about that being good for bringing out my curl pattern.

and Sabino Moisture block...im going to write that down and check it out...

Thanks for the tips and im going to wash my hair tonight and take a stab at those twist... keep your fingers crossed>>> lol:perplexed

Good luck! Keep us updated! In my avatar, those are plain two-strand twists. And then afterwards you can unravel those for a nice twist-out. :yep:

And definitely do a search for Sabino Moisture Block, a lot of people here rave about it.