Nappy Roots

InJesusName

No not the musical group!!! I tried another roller set today. My second time looked a little better. I used bigger rollers so it was not quite as curly,but at seven weeks post with about 2 inches of underprocessed hair, my roots are rough! How are you ladies taming those roots to get a smoother, flatter end result?

I have read some ladies flat iron their roots or blow them dry. Could you provide details on how to do this ? Also, if heat is bad...is it bad everywhere? Will applying heat to just the roots cause breakage to my fragile hair?

Isis

I leave my roots alone after my hair has airdried in a rollerset. I do use the ponytail method though, mainly because it's easier for me. I use the Scunci Soft fabric bands (not too tight, of course. ) after soaking them in one of my oils and make several ponytails. Then I roll each one up. The roots are smoother than not using the bands and I don't use anything further to straighten them, except for wearing a silk or satin scarf for a bit after removing the rollers.

Since I don't wear my hair in straight styles, it isn't that important to me for the roots to be that straight.

hopeful

Off topic @ Isis, your pic in your siggy is sick! Your hair really is to die for, my goodness, just beautiful.

inthepink

I flatiron my roots after rollersetting. I'm natural so a rollerset would not work for me if I couldn't flatiron my roots. I use either my sedu or my maxiglide. Oh, I either flatiron or rollerset (flatiron roots only) every week since June and I haven't noticed any damage at all.