Nappy edges and breakage

DangerouslyShy

It seems like the longer I stretch my relaxer, the more my edges break....

when i was relaxing every month my edges never broke like this...but im 10 weeks post relaxer....and my edges are so nappy....and they are breaking...

I sleep in my satin bonett ..I never sleep on a cotton pillow case....

should i relax my edges sooner...and just stretch the rest of my hair..?

any suggestions...Im trying to make it to 12 weeks post....

senimoni

I over moisturize my edges b/c they are dryer than the rest of my hair. The way I wear my hair now, covers the front/side edges (see pics) and I have noticed more hairs growing around there. Usually when I get a relaxer this area of my hair is all newgrowth=breakage of permed hair....but so far I'm still holding on to them. I'm 9 weeks post relaxer...still shocked b/c I should be bald. :) I spray alot of scurl and use leave in on my edges.

Not sure if this helps!!!!

***Edited to add - I reread your post...you may want to try a scarf underneath the bonnet b/c it would seem the edges of the bonnet are rubbing right around the same area you are concerned with.***

webby

Think Slim
I know why people recommend stretching relaxers, but I just don't feel that this is the good for everyone.

We each have different hair types and hair needs and we need to adhere to that.

With that said, DS, I'm truly sorry for your problem. Maybe you should just get a touch up and pamper your edges, ya know?

YummyC

DS,
I use CD hair butter on my edges and nape. I have very coarse dry hair and this has really helped to soften and I don't see any breakage yet. Just my two cents. I hope this helps in your search.

I agree with Senimoni about the extra moisture. I guess you could relax the edges sooner. And relax the rest of your hair every other time you relax the edges. That may allow you to stretch your relaxer longer.

DangerouslyShy

thanks for the help ladies....

my edges are actually reallly moisturized....so i dont think thats the problem....and im wearing a sewin so im not brushing them that much....

BAILEYSCREAM

Well, my suggestion is WGHO with better braids spray.
This is helping to keep my hair which is currently 8/9 weeks post touch-up.

However, since you said you're wearing a sew-in, I'm not too sure about WGHO because as you know it smells funky.

But when you've taken off the sew-in you might like to try the WGHO and better braids suggestion.

BTW, the better braids seems to somewhat neutralise the whiff of the WGHO.:lol:

ETA: This seems to work really well on my hair when it's damp from shampooing and conditioning.

caligirl

Ditch the satin bonnet and start wearing a satin scarf. My edges started to thin with the bonnet because of the elastic part that goes round your hairline.

RabiaElaine

I have the same problem with my edges, but the my handy dandy Wild Growth Oil is really helping them to soften up. My back side edges are the coarsest (is that a word), but I was just feeling them tonight and thinking how soft they are starting to feel, so the WGO must really be helping. I'm also thinking about getting Nexxus Biotin Cream, I've been reading great review on the board about it for helping the edges to fill in and grow faster, and softness. I was going to go out to pick it up today but I never got the chance, I'll try to get some on sunday.

BAILEYSCREAM

RabiaElaine said:
I have the same problem with my edges, but the my handy dandy Wild Growth Oil is really helping them to soften up. My back side edges are the coarsest (is that a word), but I was just feeling them tonight and thinking how soft they are starting to feel, so the WGO must really be helping. I'm also thinking about getting Nexxus Biotin Cream, I've been reading great review on the board about it for helping the edges to fill in and grow faster, and softness. I was going to go out to pick it up today but I never got the chance, I'll try to get some on sunday.

Nexxus Biotin Cream, you defintely need to get. My mother uses it along with the shampoo and it has really helped to fill in her hair, she has fine hair. BTW, she takes vitamins too.

Coarsest is most definitely a word.

RabiaElaine

BAILEYSCREAM said:
Nexxus Biotin Cream, you defintely need to get. My mother uses it along with the shampoo and it has really helped to fill in her hair, she has fine hair. BTW, she takes vitamins too.

Coarsest is most definitely a word.

Thanks Bailey!! I'll pick some up on sunday then.

tryn2growmyhair

anky said:
I wear a satin scarf under my bonnet. I also turn my bonnet inside out :yep:
This helps a lot. If I wear a plastic cap to sleep I still wear a scarf to protect my edges. Finally, I use virgin coconut oil on my edges.