My twist outs never look good

biancaantoinette

My twist outs always come out nice and defined but very seperated. I do medium sized twist outs but it always looks stringy and not full. I have a couple of spots in my head where the hair isnt as long as the rest of my hair which is about shoulder length. But it just looks silly to me when I take it out. Theres no shape at all.

Any suggestions or tips??
Thanks!

jamaica68

Are you natural or relaxed? Do you twist on wet or dry hair, what products do you use? How long do you leave your twists in?

rririla

Welcome to my sad lil world.......won't even attempt them anymore...I have tried them on wet, dry, flat ironed hair...u name it...and they still look blehhhhhh:down:....so unless someone comes up with a miracle product to give me some sort of definition...I will just rollerset or bun:ohwell:

Lucia

Have you tied flat twists those sometimes give more definition and you have to let them dry and use the right test product like leave in cond gel or butter I use all 3 to get it defined and shiny braidouts and flattwists are easier for me than reg twists the definition is better. I have pics in the TL thread

Nonie

biancaantoinette rririla :needpics:

I'm not just saying we need pics to be cruel, but really what you may think is bad may not be as bad as you think... Plus perhaps the images may help us see what you could improve on (eg staggering your twists...or taking them out sooner...or using less product so there's no clumping...)

I remember when pookaloo83 needed help with her twists...after posting images we were able to give her pointers that made her happier with her twists and twist-outs so that she was wearing them out with pride. Just a suggestion. No pressure if you don't want to, but some of us are visual creatures and can help more when we see what you're talmbout.

rririla

@Nonie.....I didn't take any pictures b/c honestly they were horrible, but I will do an experiment once again and show u guys the ''mess'' I create....I would LOVE for someone to help me get them right....

Evolving78

my twistouts always look more wild than defined. (like Side Show Bob) i pretty much have gotten over the fact and that i basically just use the method for stretching. my hair looks like a wild fro right now. i do make my twists chunky though. i have yet to find someone with my hair texture that has defined twists. i know i probably need to use gel instead of butters and creams, but i need my hair to be moisturized.

Last edited:

BraunSugar

My twist outs always looked crazy until I started doing 3 strand twists. Not sure if that would help you or not...

~~HoneyComb~~

Some folks hair do better with twistouts and some do better with braidouts. Perhaps your hair just doesn't do well with twistouts like my hair doesn't do well with braidouts---never!!

I can never get a decent braidout, but my twistouts always come out nice.

I notice that my first twistout after washing my hair and applying my products are so-so. But after retwisting each night after the first wash, the look gets better and fuller.

MzSwift

Yes, please post pix!:grin:

For me, the more defined the twistout, the less full my hair looks. I get defined twistouts when I dampen my hair with condish (Garnier Triple Nutrition) and then I seal with a little oil (grapeseed). I twirl and twist whenever I do twists. Last summer, this was my friday style. I would twist between 4p-6p and when I took them down around 10p, I had defined twists that I pinned up into an updo.

What I prefer are fuller, less defined twistouts. I still use the twirl and twist method but I don't use any (or very little) product. I usually have to do these in the evening and let them form overnight. Once I take it down in the morning, I've got a textured fro.

Oh, I'm a fine-haired type 4.

HTH! :)

ceecy29

Here are some things that help me get better twist outs, that you can try:

Medium-small twists, basically many more sections instead of big chunky twists
wearing the twists a bit longer for them to "set" before unraveling for the "out" styles. Usually about 3-4 days.
And lastly, I've just started to spritz my hair with a 1:1 ratio of aloe vera juice to water as a leave i before I moisturize and seal (I use shea moisture deep treatment masque as a moisturizer). The aloe vera juice combo has a made a world of difference to not only the moisture level in my hair but also the appearance of my out styles.

Hope you find what works!

darlingdiva

What products do you use?

I find that I started getting fuller twists once I made sure that my hair was well moisturized during the conditioning process.

I also do medium-sized to smaller twists and I keep them in for at least five days before unraveling them for a twistout.

lilyofthenile

Braid outs are more defined for me. If I want a defined twist out I use a butter with a little bit of Ecostyler gel for the hold and I avoid trying to touch the twists a lot after unraveling them.

MaylaMae

Is your hair natural?

I had that problem when my hair was shorter because my strands are fine and my hair is not very dense. When I made my twists smaller it looked a lot better and fuller.

biancaantoinette

@biancaantoinette @rririla :needpics:

I'm not just saying we need pics to be cruel, but really what you may think is bad may not be as bad as you think... Plus perhaps the images may help us see what you could improve on (eg staggering your twists...or taking them out sooner...or using less product so there's no clumping...)

I remember when @pookaloo83 needed help with her twists...after posting images we were able to give her pointers that made her happier with her twists and twist-outs so that she was wearing them out with pride. Just a suggestion. No pressure if you don't want to, but some of us are visual creatures and can help more when we see what you're talmbout.

ill post pics when I do it again maybe next couple of days... Thankss

hothair

Flat twist to the back work well for me natural or relaxed. Don't use too much product also if natural let it dry stretched out first.

Last edited:

Bublin

Cornrows on damp hair with my satin soft rollers on the ends are the only way i can get a frizz free, full and defined braid out.

Twists leave my hair a tangled mess.

Lady S

When I do twists w/out anything, they tend to be a little fuzzy. But I did buy some ORS Smooth-N-Hold Pudding and they came out really defined. I use it on damp hair (keep my trusty spray bottle), put some moisturizer on my hair and then put the pudding over it.

Personally, I like both looks. So, I guess it just depends on each individuals definition (Get it? Definition? I crack myself up sometimes) of looking good.

Like another poster said, you may end up having to experiment with different types of twists. You can try Senegalese twists or 3 strand twists. My senegalese twist outs always end up like thin locs.