My new growth this time around feels different...

glamazon386

My last relaxer was in April of this year. It actually turned out more texlaxed than relaxed. I stretched for 6 months before that relaxer. I'm now at 4.5 months but my new growth feels different now. The new growth now feels silky. It curls up when I wash it. Last time it just looked like and felt like idk real dry, coarse, wirey and sparse. It feels totally different now. It even reacts different to products. I have been moisturizing more this go round. Before my hair was just kind of existing. The new growth this time around feels like a totally different texture. My mother even commented on it. Could the moisturizing be making it look different? Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a reason it might be happening? Could the hair before have been scab hair? TIA...

Cayenne0622

bmoreflyygirl said:
My last relaxer was in April of this year. It actually turned out more texlaxed than relaxed. I stretched for 6 months before that relaxer. I'm now at 4.5 months but my new growth feels different now. The new growth now feels silky. It curls up when I wash it. Last time it just looked like and felt like idk real dry, coarse, wirey and sparse. It feels totally different now. It even reacts different to products. I have been moisturizing more this go round. Before my hair was just kind of existing. The new growth this time around feels like a totally different texture. My mother even commented on it. Could the moisturizing be making it look different? Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a reason it might be happening? Could the hair before have been scab hair? TIA...

That's amazing. I don't have the answer to your question but that sure is something to look forward to if stretching the relaxer and using more moisture is causing that to happen. My hair grows like crazy especially in the crown of my head. I'm only 5 weeks post relaxer that stuff is soooo thick and kind of wiry. I noticed by lightly spraying scurl through parted sections, its more soft and cottony than wirey. I'll only be stretching to 8 weeks since this is my first time. I usually touch up every 6 weeks.

KiniKakes

That is interesting. I do think that moisturizing more has played a role in this...... perhaps your hair was very thirsty for moisture before, and that dry, coarser texture wasnt your true texture all these years? I know prior to LHCF I was not moisturizing properly.... and my kitchen always seemed dry, coarse, and broken off. But after I started mosturizing.... it became softer, curlier, and appeared more 4a then 4b for the first time in my life.

Otherwise.... have you incorporated any new vitamins into your regimen, such as the MSM? I know a few ladies had experienced softer, looser new growth with the MSM......

glamazon386

KiniKakes said:
That is interesting. I do think that moisturizing more has played a role in this...... perhaps your hair was very thirsty for moisture before, and that dry, coarser texture wasnt your true texture all these years? I know prior to LHCF I was not moisturizing properly.... and my kitchen always seemed dry, coarse, and broken off. But after I started mosturizing.... it became softer, curlier, and appeared more 4a then 4b for the first time in my life.

Otherwise.... have you incorporated any new vitamins into your regimen, such as the MSM? I know a few ladies had experienced softer, looser new growth with the MSM......

Maybe it is the moisturizing... It's been looking different to me ever since the first time I washed after my last relaxer. That was the first time I let the Dominican Salon relax my hair. So maybe they did something different. I requested Mizani since that was what I had been using on my hair for the past 2 years. The first time I used an ORS Pak I also noticed a big difference. I noticed last time I went to the salon to get a weave (I went to a new lady) she was like wow! your hair is very soft!! I had noticed it myself the night before when I took the weave down. It feels a lot better now. My nape feels nice where before it felt brittle and dry. Even when I touch my scalp with these braids in it feels soft and silky. It never felt like that before. I wasn't really taking care of my hair like I should have been this time last year. So maybe that made the difference. I :love: ORS.

I recently got back on my vits (UltraNourishhair, Hair, Skin and Nails, Horsetail) but I was taking them during the winter too. Then I stopped when I ran out. I never really noticed a difference in my hair when I was on the vits before, it just seemed like I got to the point where I couldn't deal with my hair anymore quicker. That was usually when I would relax (around 14-16 weeks). The only thing that changed was that I started taking the UltraNourish Hair instead of the Horsetail in May. Then I slacked off. I just really got back on them like this month. The UltraNourishHair made my eyelashes grow but I hadn't seen any other noticeable differences. It's just really strange.

And when my mom noticed I was like oh no! :lol: She usually hits me with all the nappy head comments. That's how I've been getting her and my dad to pay for me to get my hair done. :lol: I knew there had to be something up when she made a positive comment though. Could my texture have changed? Since I was in like 8th or 9th grade it's never really acted or looked the same since I was a kid. Maybe my texture changed and I didn't know it. My hair has been considerably thinner since then. I never had any problems with breakage until then. Maybe by continuing the same regimen I've been torturing it all these years and it's finally being treated properly. One of my cousins said her texture changed when she was 13 or 14 and started looking more like her sisters hair. I know her sister has definitely been a type 3 her whole life. We both have fine hair now but I dont remember hers being like that as a child either. I know my hair wasn't thin. I had a thick head of relaxed hair as a child.

I guess all I can do from this point is continue to take care of it. It's healthy. It's growing. I've finally been able to see growth since I've been taking care of it myself. I guess that says a lot considering when I used to go to the salon every week or two weeks my hair stayed the same length forever once it got to my chin. It seemed like the breakage was just neverending.

Last edited:

KiniKakes

bmoreflyygirl said:
I guess all I can do from this point is continue to take care of it. It's healthy. It's growing. I've finally been able to see growth since I've been taking care of it myself. I guess that says a lot considering when I used to go to the salon every week or two weeks my hair stayed the same length forever once it got to my chin.

There it is! ;)

And yes, i love the ORS line as well!!!!!!!!!!!!

Proudpiscean

Ultranourish hair vits have MSM in them so that could be it, or maybe it could be from the extra moisture & extra TLC....:)

ETA: HHG!

Last edited:

zora

It could also be the weight of your longer hair. Sometimes hair coming out of your scalp will look like it has a different texture or appearance when it's longer.

glamazon386

dstdiva said:
what are you moisturizing with?

I've been DCing with ORS once a week and cowashing with LeKair Shea Butter Conditioning Creme every few days for most of the summer. I've been in weaves for the most part since December because I'm on the weave challenge. The weave I had was a wavy/curly weave so sometimes it would get frizzy from the humidity. The ORS once a week and the cowashing got the hair under control. I'm in braids now so I'm not doing anything but spraying them.

Last edited: