My mother and aunt MUST be stupid!!!!!

Amina

My little sister has jet black hair (damn her to hell!!!!) 4a/4b relaxed, a little past shoulder length, and I know her hair has the ability to grow long with the right products (her hair grow really fast for some reason, she cut it "ear" length last Jan. and by last April it is back "past the shoulder" length, my mom keeps cutting it b/c of "split ends" as she calls it, but it is just the lack of moisture). Since her hair is soo black every little flake can be seen no matter how many times she washes. I suggested to my mom that maybe my sister needed another hair product. And that maybe she needed to wash her hair more often (once a week is not enough esp. since my sister is constantly putting grease and other things in her hair, it starts to smell. My auntie was in the room when I said that and BOTH ladies yelled at ME.

My mom (and my auntie agreed) said my sister can use dish washing liquid in her hair since her hair strains are thick (her hair strains are much thicker than mine). Then I got the "black people can't wash their hair often" talk. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

My first thought was "this can't be my mom, the one who said she used to do hair, saying this!!! They BOTH honestly believed that there is nothing wrong with using dish washing liquid!!!!

I had to pull my sister aside and tell her if she even puts one atom worth of dish washing liquid in her hair I would beat her up (and I would)!!!!

I mean really how ignorant can people be!!!

ChunHyang

I dont know, it just sounds like another case of close-mindedness. Those ladies don't know any better because they've been doing the same thing for hair to years. They were taught washing more often was bad, cutting was good, dishwashing liquid is ok, and relaxers need to happen as soon as there's a sign of a wave.
When I was younger I would go for weeks without washing my hair and then wonder why I had so much dandruff. I had no one teaching me what to do. Well my mom told me to wash my hair but I never listened. And that's why my hair that used to be armpit length is now neck length. :ohwell: You live, you learn. Best thing for you is to help out your little sister and let her decide if she wants to take care of her hair.

aileenadq

Tell your sis, Mom 7 Aunt to do an experiment:

Wash on half of the head w/ dishwashing liquid (shudder) and the other half with a shampoo that has no SLS.

Maybe that'll show'em.

Amina

BabyImaStarr said:
If you taught your sister what you know, do you think that she would try it out herself?

I try my best to teach her. She lives at home with my mom (fostermother), who is a control freak, since she doesn't work and have to rely on my mother to buy everything there really isn't anything she can do. My mom doesn't like it when I buy my sister things so not to get her in trouble I usually "leave" products home and call 3 days later telling my sister she can have it since I already brought more. Right now I am putting together a "hair survival" package w/instructions. I am not going home this break so that I can get enough products. I will be going home after the spring quarter is over. And I will "leave" a whole box of things at home for her (after all who can blame me for "forgetting" things, lol)

I told her in order to get her hair to her brastrap to wear buns and not use heat (but my mom prevents this, since she is a "wash and set" kind of person, she even fussed at me for wearing buns when I am at home :mad: ) Basically she is "set in her ways (her words not mine)" and there is nothing I can teach her".

And let's NOT talk about my auntie who washes her hair 2-3 times a year and uses a towel the other times. She has that curly perm in her hair (grant it her hair grew but it smells) that she puts 2-3 times a year.

Last edited:

ThickHair

My mother use to use dishwashing liquid on my hair when I was younger, that was the only way she could get the grease out. If she does us a lot of grease that may be the only way to get it out.

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
I am sorry, that your aunt and mom were not open to your suggestions. Unfortunately, some old habits die hard. Maybe you can talk to your sister, and share your tips with her.

Speaking of being misinformed, my dad finally started using lotion after 61 years on his face!!!!!!!!!! He told me he never used it there because he did not want to get lighter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

ThursdayGirl

aileenadq said:

Wash on half of the head w/ dishwashing liquid (shudder) and the other half with a shampoo that has no SLS.

Maybe that'll show'em.
this is a good idea :)

kreeme

What is up with people using dishwashing liquid to wash their HAIR?! :eek: That is the second time I read about that on this board. I never in a million years would have thought about washing my hair with some Palmolive! Girl, give your sister some tips on what to do. Matter fact, give her the link to this site. Please save her hair from destruction...she will thank you in the end. :yep:

Sparker65

Is diswashing liquid any worse than ZEST bath soap? My grandmother used to wash our hair with that soap:eek: . Me and my cousins hair would be hard as bricks before she greased us up with Sulfur 8 or Vaseline.:lachen:

By the way, I am new to this board and I am so glad I stumbled on this site 3 months ago. I have learned so much from you ladies and I just wanted to say thanks for sharing your knowledge with others.:)

Healthb4Length

OMG! This is funny! My Boyfriends' mom swears by Dawn, I've gotten her good quality shampoos but she insists on using dishwashing liquid! Her staple products are dishwashing liquid, mega hold hair gel and grease!

Amina

aileenadq said:

Maybe that'll show'em.

Though it is a good idea, but I am sorry I couldn't even fix my mouth to suggest it. I think I would actually cry then cut off ALL her hair. I fear if they do go ahead and perform such experiment, that they will continue to do so until all my sister's hair fall out. Her hair is too pretty for that.

beyondcute

Sorry gals. Ive been known to use just about anythign in my head :lol: When I was younger my granny washed us with Ajax.... :( Shoot within the last year I can honestly say I used body wash as shampoo (your head is a part of your body right?) Umm let me see, bar soap? Yup... Dish detergent? Yup... Ive even been washed with laundry detergent and shampooed as well. Im suprised I still have hair. And when granny was taking care of it thats when it was mid back :lol: Maybe I need to pickup some Ajax.... :nono: Maybe not :lol:

jrae

Amina said:
I try my best to teach her. She lives at home with my mom (fostermother), who is a control freak, since she doesn't work and have to rely on my mother to buy everything there really isn't anything she can do. My mom doesn't like it when I buy my sister things so not to get her in trouble I usually "leave" products home and call 3 days later telling my sister she can have it since I already brought more. Right now I am putting together a "hair survival" package w/instructions. I am not going home this break so that I can get enough products. I will be going home after the spring quarter is over. And I will "leave" a whole box of things at home for her (after all who can blame me for "forgetting" things, lol)
Amina, that is so sweet! I had an evil stepsister who would've stepped in front of a shooting range before she EVER would've taught me anything about hair care.

I'm glad you threatened her life if she ever used dishwashing liquid! Now that's what I call LOVE! :p

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Now that was too funny, ROTFLMBO :lachen:
PrettyHaitian said:
I am sorry, that your aunt and mom were not open to your suggestions. Unfortunately, some old habits die hard. Maybe you can talk to your sister, and share your tips with her.

Speaking of being misinformed, my dad finally started using lotion after 61 years on his face!!!!!!!!!! He told me he never used it there because he did not want to get lighter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:[/quote]

karolmel

Wow, I've never heard of washing hair with dishwashing liquid. But, then again, I've only started washing my hair more often than weekly, since finding this website last year.

Good luck!

Amina

jrae said:
Amina, that is so sweet! I had an evil stepsister who would've stepped in front of a shooting range before she EVER would've taught me anything about hair care.

I'm glad you threatened her life if she ever used dishwashing liquid! Now that's what I call LOVE! :p

Yep, my little sister is my best friend. We went through a whole lot together. I am sorry to hear about your stepsister...

Blackbird77

ChunHyang said:
I dont know, it just sounds like another case of close-mindedness. Those ladies don't know any better because they've been doing the same thing for hair to years. They were taught washing more often was bad, cutting was good, dishwashing liquid is ok, and relaxers need to happen as soon as there's a sign of a wave.
When I was younger I would go for weeks without washing my hair and then wonder why I had so much dandruff. I had no one teaching me what to do. Well my mom told me to wash my hair but I never listened. And that's why my hair that used to be armpit length is now neck length. :ohwell: You live, you learn. Best thing for you is to help out your little sister and let her decide if she wants to take care of her hair.

And these same women have the nerve to look sideways at sisters with long hair like they think they're too cute because they have hair bra-strap length or longer.:look:

MissYocairis

PrettyHaitian said:
Speaking of being misinformed, my dad finally started using lotion after 61 years on his face!!!!!!!!!! He told me he never used it there because he did not want to get lighter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen: :lachen:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Hecky NAW!